The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by BabyClaret »

Definitely sounds like a concussion with the symptoms.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:21 pm Got absolutely clattered at football on Saturday. Blood pouring out my nose, dizzy etc. All week since have felt miserable, the minimal focus I had has gone entirely, diet gone to ****.

Dunno what to do with myself. Maybe got a lingering concussion? My face is purple.
That sounds like it's worth a visit to A&E assuming you haven't already
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:21 pm Got absolutely clattered at football on Saturday. Blood pouring out my nose, dizzy etc. All week since have felt miserable, the minimal focus I had has gone entirely, diet gone to ****.

Dunno what to do with myself. Maybe got a lingering concussion? My face is purple.
On the pitch?! Surely has to be worth a trip to A&E walk in?
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

smuts wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:02 pm Going to it. Hopefully they can sort it pretty quickly with some tablets.

I know I'm overweight but can do ten minutes of crunches, high kicks, planks, etc no bother, lift 5kg of weights for 10 minutes and walk for 2 hours without getting puffed out and so on. My missus who has perfect blood pressure gets more puffed out than me on walks and she's pretty much ideal weight and is on her feet all day so I'm not a wheezing mess.

Not particularly stressed just usual work stuff but nothing onerous.
Having covid twice I don't think helped either...along with mainly sitting up the kitchen table working for over 2 years.

No wonder high BP is called the silent killer. Read that over a third of the UK has it...
Go to the appointment, take the meds and you'll be fine. Very high blood pressure was the main cause of my stroke a little over a year ago and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Anyone else out there over 40, get your BP tested. It's better than months in hospital and even more months of rehab, I can tell you!
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Ouch. Hope you feel better soon, fj.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

OFT wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:28 pm That sounds like it's worth a visit to A&E assuming you haven't already
This, absolutely.

I've been doing some training through the FA for coaching. It advises that any head injury - and especially with those symptoms - should be dealt with on site by a first aider and (I think) an ambulance called, or at least someone else getting then to a hospital.

Worth getting checked out, FJ, and hope you feel better soon.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

This is an intriguing subject and I confess, I know next to nothing about it. In fact, the more I try to delve into it, the more confused I become. So, can I ask a genuine innocent question? and the question I would like to ask is, How do you know when you suspect you might not be normal and have a bit of a mental health problem and might need help ? Wouldn't you think, it is others who have the problem, not you ? What are the tell tale signs?
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

IMO,
There is no 'normal'. When you find it distressing or impossible to perform routine everyday stuff, then you have a problem. There maybe a completely understandable reason for this problem (say bereavement, physical illness, relationships, work, etc)
or it can be an imbalance in your brain that makes it function in some way differently from that of the majority.
The former of the two can be treated successfully in a number of tried and tested ways, as can the latter. Both, however require a good deal of effort from both the sufferer AND those around them.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Tenners is right as ever, there is no normal.
A lot depends on how it effects you Puff, you mention that you may seek help which indicates it bothers you at least.
But that's the thing, how much does it bother you, for instance does it stop you functioning in a way that you would like to, or stop you enjoying things that you used to enjoy?
Or does it effect those close to you in a way that it shouldn't and you want to do something about it?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:32 am This is an intriguing subject and I confess, I know next to nothing about it. In fact, the more I try to delve into it, the more confused I become. So, can I ask a genuine innocent question? and the question I would like to ask is, How do you know when you suspect you might not be normal and have a bit of a mental health problem and might need help ? Wouldn't you think, it is others who have the problem, not you ? What are the tell tale signs?
There are thousands of different ways a persons mental health can be affected; being overly anxious, the incalculable number of physical manifestations of obsessive compulsive disorder, debilitating depression, extreme phobia, total emotional numbness. You can't summarise any of them in a single statement. You'd also be foolish to think about having a mental health condition as abnormal. Virtually everyone is dealing with, or will have to deal with something MH related at some point in their life. And often part of the suffering is being completely unable to process what a state of relative normalcy even is.

But perhaps the easiest way someone confused could empathize with a specific mental health condition is to imagine the most sad you've ever felt. Someone you love dying, a horrendous unexpected breakup, Payet handing in a transfer request. Now imagine that feeling, all the time, for no reason whatsoever, with no real prospects of alleviating that sadness. That is what depression can be like.

I suspect you were probably being deliberately obtuse when you asked the question in the first place anyway, and had you actually delved into the subject in any real manner you wouldn't have needed to ask the question you did. Obviously that's assuming you aren't an actual psychopath and have the ability to relate to and empathize with other people and emotions outside your own.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

For me, it's just like physical health. You can be on a wide spectrum that ranges from firing on all cylinders and in tip-top condition right through to having disabling unrelenting pain or simply not being able to function properly.

Every human being is somewhere on that scale, physically and mentally.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:32 amThis is an intriguing subject and I confess, I know next to nothing about it.
Let me tell you Puff, you won the lottery jackpot of life.
Be happy & grateful you did. :newthumb:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Bloke sat opposite me on the train into work this morning dropped down dead right in front of me. Crowds of people all around him, people giving CPR, off duty nurse on the train helping, AED used. Nothing. He was just sat there reading the paper on the way to work and in the blink of an eye he was a gonner.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:08 am Bloke sat opposite me on the train into work this morning dropped down dead right in front of me. Crowds of people all around him, people giving CPR, off duty nurse on the train helping, AED used. Nothing. He was just sat there reading the paper on the way to work and in the blink of an eye he was a gonner.
Sh*t, you ok, mate?
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yeah. It's a bit of a shock. It certainly put all the b*llocks in my head about work today into perspective.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Apparently the guy is okay and is in hospital. Talk about lucky. I left after they used the AED the first time, thinking he was a goner. If youre gonna have a heart attack, a train during rush hour is apparently a good place to do it.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

sendô wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:10 pm Apparently the guy is okay and is in hospital. Talk about lucky. I left after they used the AED the first time, thinking he was a goner. If youre gonna have a heart attack, a train during rush hour is apparently a good place to do it.
Sounds more like a cardiac arrest then a heart attack and whoever it is, is extremely lucky.
Outside a hospital I think you've got about a one in ten chance of surviving an arrest.
Do tube trains actually carry a defrib on board?
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

That’s good to hear Sendo - hopefully it helps put your mind at ease more too.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

EvilC wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:20 pm Yeah, good luck to DL/Ron/Doc. This thread is in your corner.
And you couldn’t have a better bunch of lads and lasses (?) in your corner. To me the likes of Mushy, Samba and Tenners are this forum’s (mostly) unsung and sage rocks.

Doc - seek counselling mate. It can’t harm. It can do good. I had it about 13 years ago now - I’d changed my world upside down - all on me that - but as someone who always thought they could cope I found out that I couldn’t. A combination of anti-depressants and a no-bull ****ting counsellor gave my mind just enough space to start to be able to think straighter sometimes, and then straighter more often.

DL - I’m sorry bud. If I’m the ‘adave’ 🙂 you mentioned - yes, we must get that din-dins in.

You’re an amazing bunch - love you all to bits.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Yes I agree amazing bunch of people on here kept me going through tough times.
Good luck to those of you fighting battles at the moment sending strength and hope .