The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2650 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by EvilC »

The only MH issues I have ever faced were largely due to my boss. Don’t underestimate the impact it can have on you, and your issues are not to be ignored because others have it worse.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:54 am Thanks chaps for putting things in perspective.
As I've said on here quite often previously - our problems, worries, and MH issues are our own - it doesn't make what you're going through any less significant.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1237 likes
Total likes: 1646 likes

Post by last.caress »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:54 am Then I read posts by Chalks, DL, Jim etc and think what am I bloody moaning about.

Thanks chaps for putting things in perspective.
Don't do that, mate. Don't downplay your own strifes and hardships. It's all relative. Trouble at work - especially when it's in the form of a nasty or generally **** boss - is some of the most stressful grief you can face, because there's often so little that you can do; it's often out of your hands and with no end in sight.

You can bend my ear whenever you want, Bris, as I hope you're well aware. xx
-DL- wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:30 pm our problems, worries, and MH issues are our own - it doesn't make what you're going through any less significant.
Bang on. :newthumb:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Whilst I approach an 8th night in hospital having had major surgery, I’m just as keen to hear about everyone else.

Some of you have jobs to go back in to tomorrow. I have nurses bringing me toast in bed!
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Can only echo what LC, Evil and DL said above. Your Problems are your problems and things affect different people in different ways. Always reach out whatever the issue. The amount of times I’ve read something in this thread that’s massively helped.

Vast majority of my MH issues over the years have been work related. All of my current ones are. As soon as the legal advice comes back on the restrictive covenants in the sale agreement of my company (sold it a year ago and worked for the purchaser) and the subsequent employment contract, I’m chucking in my notice and taking a couple of months off to sort myself out. My kids and wife deserve better than the stressed out character I’ve become and I owe it to myself to do the sensible thing. I’m lucky I can do this but it’s something I need to do.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

good luck Dave 1 :newthumb:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Bloody hell Jim you have me worried now. I’m having a colonoscopy next week after months of problems with my bowels. Initial tests have ruled out some stuff, but early indications are some form of inflammatory bowel disease based on the results of one of the tests. I’m the same age as you as well…

It has been playing on my mind a lot. As some know I’ve had a rough time of it since catching Covid in 2019 which caused all sorts of follow up problems. I thought I was past the worst and then this started a few months back. Not going to lie, it has worn me down.

Just glad everything else is good so I don’t have the same kind of pressure as last time.

Anyway mate, pleased to hear you are on the mend and hope it continues to improve.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Sorry! Nothing intentional.

There is a history of bowel issues amongst men in my family so it’s something I was always expecting. I’ve had an ileostomy with an infected part of my bowel cut away for my own good.

Yes, I’m living with a stoma bag for six months or so before we know whether the operation is reversible but I’ll cope with it. Changing it looks simple and it could be much worse.

Listen to the professionals. Don’t Google your symptoms. You’ll be fine.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

MB - fingers crossed all is ok, and easily treatable whatever the issue, try and stay positive if you can, easier said than done, I know.

Jim, Briz and anyone else going through a tough time, hang in there.
MB

Post by MB »

No worries Jim and good advice re Google! Been throwing up this morning which is a new one. Just need to see what they find and go from there.

Cheers SH, I tend towards the positive side of things but finding this one draining. Just tired all the time which doesn’t help the mental side of things. I’ll be good once I know what it is. Th3 not knowing is the hard part.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1227 likes

Post by Tenbury »

MB, they tend to work out the really heavy stuff first (I'm struggling to remember first getting Crohn's, but I was tested and tested before diagnosis, and it's similar for Colitis... which is pretty similar anyway). There is a whole collection of conditions, IBS, Diverticulitis, etc, etc, but, though not great, they are eminently doable. [ the colonoscopy isn't that bad really, either, though the pinkstuff you neck beforehand to clear you out, as it were, could be more pleasant. The actual procedure is soon over (I did have a doc come into the room looking for some notes... I suggested he 'wouldn't find them up there') actually you'll be pretty hungry when it's finished, so treat yourself to something nice.]

Try not to worry. (pm me if you like for more gory details or 'sh*t jokes')

Best Wishes.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Tenbury wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:04 am (pm me if you like 'sh*t jokes')
That's ageing's job, no?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:42 am Don’t Google your symptoms. You’ll be fine.
I'm going to chuck it out there, that this actually isn't good advice. Yes, it may freak you out when you do, and it may make you fear the worst - and if it does make you fear the worst, it may get you off of your backside to actually do something about it - if it's nothing, all you've had is a bit of stress - if it is something, then you've caught it as early as possible.

Using reputable sites, such as bowel and bladder community, cancer research, Macmillan, or whatever organisation is there for your ailment, can be a priceless treasure trove of information - but whatever you do, don't sit in ignorance and not get on that internet to look things up - because by getting on there, at the very worst, it will do your head in for a short period of time, but at the very best - it may save your life.
MB wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:23 am No worries Jim and good advice re Google!
See above.
MB

Post by MB »

Tenbury wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:04 am MB, they tend to work out the really heavy stuff first (I'm struggling to remember first getting Crohn's, but I was tested and tested before diagnosis, and it's similar for Colitis... which is pretty similar anyway). There is a whole collection of conditions, IBS, Diverticulitis, etc, etc, but, though not great, they are eminently doable. [ the colonoscopy isn't that bad really, either, though the pinkstuff you neck beforehand to clear you out, as it were, could be more pleasant. The actual procedure is soon over (I did have a doc come into the room looking for some notes... I suggested he 'wouldn't find them up there') actually you'll be pretty hungry when it's finished, so treat yourself to something nice.]

Try not to worry. (pm me if you like for more gory details or 'sh*t jokes')

Best Wishes.
Thanks mate. Yes I’ve already had blood and :thdn: tests. No blood which is a good sign, but the level of the protein which indicates inflammation was very high so they are thinking Crohns or Colitis.

Agreed the prep sounds worse than the procedure! Will be good to know. I’ve had problems before (tested and told it was IBS) so not unexpected and it would b3 good to get it properly diagnosed so they can start treating it.

Will definitely reach out once I know :newthumb:
MB

Post by MB »

-DL- wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:55 am I'm going to chuck it out there, that this actually isn't good advice. Yes, it may freak you out when you do, and it may make you fear the worst - and if it does make you fear the worst, it may get you off of your backside to actually do something about it - if it's nothing, all you've had is a bit of stress - if it is something, then you've caught it as early as possible.

Using reputable sites, such as bowel and bladder community, cancer research, Macmillan, or whatever organisation is there for your ailment, can be a priceless treasure trove of information - but whatever you do, don't sit in ignorance and not get on that internet to look things up - because by getting on there, at the very worst, it will do your head in for a short period of time, but at the very best - it may save your life.

See above.
Fair points mate, but I’m not doctor shy. As soon as this didn’t clear in a couple of weeks I reached out and got the tests etc. looking up the maybes (especially with something vague like this) would get me in a spiral.

Ultimately though I agree with the point which is don’t muck around if you think you have an issue.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

There’s so much crap on the internet these days that I’d argue any old site with information isn’t reliable. I put my symptoms in to NHS Direct and was advised to phone an ambulance. I’m just thinking of all the fake news anti-vaxxers have spouted. “I’ve done my research” they say. How? Where?

Always let a professional diagnose you. Google your condition. Not your symptoms.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:23 am
Always let a professional diagnose you. Google your condition. Not your symptoms.
No, Google your symptom's, and look where you're getting your info from. There are many medical sites to go on, without having to look at 'any old site'. It just takes a modicum of common sense.

I Googled my symptoms. It could have been a UTI. It could have been strenuous exercise. It could have been bladder cancer. Thankfully, I didn't heed the crappy advice of 'don't Google your symptoms' and went to the doctors because it could have been cancer, and I'm so glad that I did, as I'm now alive to tell the tale.

Sorry, but telling people to not Google symptoms is poor advice. Use the information out there to make an informed decision. Not net mums, not conspiracy sites, or other bull**** places, but medical sites.

Telling people to not doing it is foolish in the extreme. It's such a ****ing 'man' thing. Google them. Act on them, and let a professional look at it to make a diagnosis.

I so wish we still had that old headbanger emoji.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

For years, I’ve seen morons in pubs get sicker after listening to unqualified people telling them things about their health. All I’ve done to get diagnosed is go through NHS Direct, call, go to hospital and get surgery.

That’s what I want people to do. You’re taking umbrage with something that isn’t there.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Each to their own.

I'd rather be diagnosed by a professional.

My brother in-law is a GP and said that in his experience, people who google their symptoms, will see the worst case scenario, which in turn can scare them to the point they put off visiting a doctor, that's why he and many of his colleagues advise against it, and would rather you call 111.

As I said each to their own, but I personally don't google symptoms.

This is the mental health thread after all, and although people will hopefully get diagnosed asap if and when they need it, Googling the incorrect diagnosis also has the potential to have unnecessary damaging affects on someone's mental health too.
Last edited by S-H on Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

You're missing my point entirely. I'm not suggesting people go on random sites, I'm suggesting people get on sites that are reputable, sites that have medically qualified people that construct them.

I'm not going to persue this further Jim, as you are totally misunderstanding it, and seem to have this bee in your bonnet that I'm advising people to go on sites with spanners on them.

Your advice of not to Google symptoms is dangerous and poor advice.

I'm done.

Get well soon.

SH,

As for what others may or may not do - that's fine, that's your choice - but give people that choice what you do, but never tell others what they shouldn't be doing when it comes to their health.

Not once have I said to use Google for diagnosis, so quite why you and Jim are running with that, I have no idea.

Google your symptoms on reputable sites so you can make an informed decision that can lead to a diagnosis if it throws up worries.

Men are notorious for not seeing doctors and GPs, and yet we have people on here saying not to Google what your body is doing.

The mind boggles.