The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by Samba »

Mega Ron wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:08 pm Right.

So I did see a Dr who prescribed me 20mg Citolapram. I'm 3 days in now and don't really like the feeling of being a tad spaced. I also have zero appetite and my mouth is insanely dry.

Does that change?
Yes, it almost certainly will, mate. Got to give it a little bit of time, though. These side effects are the first things that are noticed.
Keep a bottle of water with you at all times & maybe get some sugar-free gum to chew on.
Good for you in asking for help, btw. :newthumb:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

So I did see a Dr who prescribed me 20mg Citolapram. I'm 3 days in now and don't really like the feeling of being a tad spaced. I also have zero appetite and my mouth is insanely dry.

Does that change?
Yes. Well, it changed for me. That swimmy, vaguely sicky sensation is none too pleasant but it dissipates after awhile. :newthumb:
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Does that change?
Diagnosis = Good.

I too was / am on 20mg Citalopram and had exactly the same symptoms. It does get better but take every day as it comes.

I cut out alcohol, caffeine and slept all the time.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I remember the big move back to Manchester from London in 2016 thinking it would right lots of wrongs. The Seasoncard at City was always used and I finally did every home match in one season which I was proud of. I also had three jobs in one year (everywhere temping) and then back to square one. The city itself, like London, is grossly overpopulated now and everything has become gentrified.

I’m a year to the day out of there. On the Cheshire / Merseyside border, we have no danger of £15 burgers as they’d get laughed out of town. It’s a bit rough round the edges but I’ve many friends and nobody takes themselves too seriously. It’s how growing up used to be.

Big cities are crippling for loneliness, isolation and a tough life. I personally believe coming here got me over the line. You need to find out what is bothering you and make realistic changes.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Samba wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:41 pm I think I've felt alone for most of my life. Not all of the time but those times that I didn't, now seem that they were accidental rather than me actively doing something to not be.
Had group therapy for depression once & 'enjoyed' it/felt supported. Just been turned down for having more & ironically that's made me feel very depressed & alone. The guy reckoned that 'because I've had it before & it wasn't a cure, there's no point in me having any more'.
Nothing I said, made him change his mind. Tbh, I think he's a useless c*nt who didn't hear what I was saying & already had his own preconceived ideas.
I don't think anyone that I met in that group, felt that it was 'a cure', either.
Just feel really let down now.
Really sorry to hear that, mate.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Samba wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:41 pm I think I've felt alone for most of my life. Not all of the time but those times that I didn't, now seem that they were accidental rather than me actively doing something to not be.
Had group therapy for depression once & 'enjoyed' it/felt supported. Just been turned down for having more & ironically that's made me feel very depressed & alone. The guy reckoned that 'because I've had it before & it wasn't a cure, there's no point in me having any more'.
Nothing I said, made him change his mind. Tbh, I think he's a useless c*nt who didn't hear what I was saying & already had his own preconceived ideas.
I don't think anyone that I met in that group, felt that it was 'a cure', either.
Just feel really let down now.
You don't think he's a useless c*nt... you know it! Mate, he ain't the first you've come across, and sadly won't be the last. Can't your GP/shrink/whoever bypass this individual? [I know private groups can be a bit pricey, but there could be some sort of volantary set up, especially round your way.]
Don't know about you, but I'm getting to the stage where longevity forces me to accept that I'm better at dealing with setbacks than I realised even just a short while ago. I guess you can rage against the machine, or laugh at it. At the moment, my response to the black dog is :'Is that all you've got?' Distraction, Distraction.... feel the sun on the back of your neck and listen to the birdsong. [And, as per, PM me whenever you need]
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Anyone ever been along to this?

https://andysmanclub.co.uk/
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Mega Ron wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:23 am Anyone ever been along to this?

Heard the guys who started it, on the radio a while a go, sounds and looks like a great idea.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’d like to think we’ve got our own mini club on here.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Anyone ever stopped taking Citolapram early on?

I hate them.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Mega Ron wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:48 pm Anyone ever stopped taking Citolapram early on?

I hate them.
Keep at it. You’ve been prescribed them for a reason. I was told my depression was mild and you have the exact dosage I take to the day.

I was very sleepy and my appetite went right down. I got through it. They’re not addictive and your body will get used to them.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Mega Ron wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:48 pm Anyone ever stopped taking Citolapram early on?

I hate them.
I've stopped taking them, then started again, then stopped again, then started again. No gradual weaning, I just stopped.

HOWEVER.

I have been reliably and very seriously advised by several people, including our own good Dr Venk, that just stopping antidepressants like that is a really, REALLY bad thing. So, yes, I've done it and no, I don't think I did myself any serious damage (I must stress that I don't know that for a fact; I'm not a doc, I've no idea how these things can play out in the long term). But, given what I've been told by people who would know far more about these things than I, I'd implore you not to just knock them on the head, mate. I'd say you should try to stick it out because they WILL get easier but, if you really don't want to persist with them, get some proper medical advice as to cutting them down, weaning yourself off and hopefully coming up with an alternative that works better for you. :newthumb: xx
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

:wolfy:

Andysmanclub are a great institution and do weekly get togethers for us blokes to talk about whatever we want to talk about.
Started up North and has moved slowly down south, they have a weekly meeting in Southend and another in Barnet, these are two of the 'local' ones I know about.
Seems like a fantastic idea to me.
Edit, also notice from the map there is also a weekly meet in Basildon and Chelmsford, they meet every Monday (excluding bank holidays).
mushy

Post by mushy »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:40 pm I've stopped taking them, then started again, then stopped again, then started again. No gradual weaning, I just stopped.

HOWEVER.

I have been reliably and very seriously advised by several people, including our own good Dr Venk, that just stopping antidepressants like that is a really, REALLY bad thing. So, yes, I've done it and no, I don't think I did myself any serious damage (I must stress that I don't know that for a fact; I'm not a doc, I've no idea how these things can play out in the long term). But, given what I've been told by people who would know far more about these things than I, I'd implore you not to just knock them on the head, mate. I'd say you should try to stick it out because they WILL get easier but, if you really don't want to persist with them, get some proper medical advice as to cutting them down, weaning yourself off and hopefully coming up with an alternative that works better for you. :newthumb: xx
Venky knows his stuff alright and his advice is well worth listening to.
Great post LC by the way.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I slipped in to anxiety and depression slowly. It took a while to slip out of it. Actually knowing was a strange mixture of relief and despair. It got worse before it got better too.

What I can tell Mega Ron is that I had his symptoms and also his initial reaction to the Citalopram. What I can also say is that we had mild cases.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Couldn’t deal with antidepressants when put on them earlier this year. To be honest I thought I was going mad on them. As well as being zonked out I was having the most incredibly vivid and horrific nightmares.
So I knocked them on the head, GP was ok about it, said they don’t work for everyone. Did a CBT course online and Self referral for therapy - both of which seem to be helping in their own way, albeit slowly.
Have been off work for a bit, and when I felt capable I’ve found that physical exercise, especially cycling has really helped. When I’m pedalling away I don’t feel stressed, worried or anxious- just knackered but it’s a good feeling. I can’t do running as I’ve got a knackered knee and swimming is out because the local pool is full of school kids doing swimming lessons or ladies doing aqua fit to some really chronic loud music.
Getting a bit fitter and having a morning out on the bike has given me something to look forward to.
Am now thinking of a phased return to work next month.

Good luck to everyone else on here who’s struggling with mental health issues. I never thought it could happen to me but it just crept up on me.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

ironsonthebrain wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:24 pm Good luck to everyone else on here who’s struggling with mental health issues. I never thought it could happen to me but it just crept up on me.
I hear you loud and clear. Several very good friends, a suicide in the family… I’ve always believed I’ve had a strong mind but I too suffered.

I’m very open and vocal about it now to ensure others are caught before they do something out of character.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

I hate them.
I used to take them but they changed mine for another type that are also used for pain relief. I came of them once and suffered from electric shocks in the brain, it was not nice. Safe to say I went back on them. There is a reason they tell you not to go cold turkey when stoping these type of drugs. You do not say the reason you hate them, perhaps your GP will have a different type for you to change to.

First you should talk to your doctor. There is so much information that is not correct. Having said that did you know that 95% of your seratonin is produced by your intestines. There are foods that are said that you can eat that could help to improve our mental health. The foods like are like eggs, oily fish nuts etc so it's not like some exotic food stuffs that are expensive or hard to get.

I wish you good luck and again see your doctor before stoping your medication.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

I hate them.
It depends really on what's causing you to hate them; obviously how you're feeling since being on them. If they are just the 'normal' discomforting side effects, you'll probably have to stick it out until they wear off. However, If they really are too much or different from the usual, you really need to discuss it with the person who prescribed them for you, before just stopping them yourself.
Maybe you'll stay on them, maybe you'll change to another one, you'll get there mate. :newthumb:
mushy

Post by mushy »

-DL- wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:43 am but it's very difficult to speak to people, because the same line gets trotted out time and time again - 'at least you're alive'. Yeah, thanks for that - like because I'm alive and other people with cancer have died, it's like that line is the fix-all and I should be happy with my lot,
Ah yes, the meaningless platitude. To be fair we probably all trot these out from time time, I guess we mean well but the simple fact is we often struggle to find the right words in times of trauma, death of a loved one etc.
A guy I know with similar physical and the subsequent mental struggles to yours recently came out with 'I guess I shouldn't grumble as there are people far worse off in the world then me'.
Well I'm sure there are but how does knowing that actually help anyone? So go ahead and grumble, you have every bloody right to but try not to get too upset at some of the responses. Like I say, am sure they mean well despite being incredibly irritating.
Reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents would always bang on about starving kids in Africa if I didn't eat up all of my Greens. Like any of that made any difference to my general hatred of vegetables.
Kids don't really care anyway.
Hope your feeling better soon mate, if there's anything you need you know where I am.