The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

having a bad couple of days
my loss of sense of smell has turned into a very unpleasant situation where there is constant horrible smell and taste in my mouth. I am struggling to cope with it to be honest, and the thought of it not getting better any time soon, and can feel myself beginning to slip back into the void
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Sorry to hear that Crouchy.

Have you been to the doctor about it? Have the suggested anything about your smell and taste?

Could you put some Vicks vaporub above you lip, would that help?

Wishing you all the best.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:07 am having a bad couple of days
my loss of sense of smell has turned into a very unpleasant situation where there is constant horrible smell and taste in my mouth. I am struggling to cope with it to be honest, and the thought of it not getting better any time soon, and can feel myself beginning to slip back into the void
Go to the chemist and buy Sterimar. It nothing more than pure water. Wash your sinuses out one at a time and see if that helps.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:07 am having a bad couple of days
Quite understandable you feel like that, Crouchy. However, it's changed once & could well change again, hopefully to something better.
Bear with it, mate. I know it's sh*t now but it's still relatively early days.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 334 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Bounced as this is too important a thread to slip off the first page .
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2676 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

After receiving the news of a cancer diagnosis on Monday my mental health has taken a dive with anxiety levels almost constant - it's not knowing whether it's treatable or terminal that's playing on my mind - they're going to be doing further scans in a couple of weeks' time so will know for sure then .
My sleep is bad and when I wake my heart is thumping - last night and the night before I was awake from 1 am till 4.30 am / 3.30 am respectively .

The weather was too bad yesterday so I tried distracting myself with TV - I watched 8 episodes of ' A Town Called Malice ' [ Sky ] as it was new to me . Anxiety is a strange thing when it's uncontrollable and constant -

I was trying to calm myself down by watching episodes of ' Detectorists ' when the phone went at 8.15 am yesterday , it was Nick/DL - It was good to talk to him after what he's gone through so thanks , mate . :newthumb: My first instincts were to go down the diazapam route so it was interesting to note that DL had not gone down that road - today I'm sorta glad the Doctor was unwilling to dole out the drugs as my anxiety levels aren't quite so high - we're off on a mini break to Dornoch later this morning , something Jen had arranged weeks ago . It may well do us some good .
rigoberts song
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 334 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

sorry to hear this Tomos Nicks a great guy and supported me along with Mushy and others including your self.
sending strength is there anyone you can confide in your family sound great and your lad sounds amazing.
The Old Man of Storr

rigoberts song wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:09 pm sorry to hear this Tomos Nicks a great guy and supported me along with Mushy and others including your self.
sending strength is there anyone you can confide in your family sound great and your lad sounds amazing.
If it's treatable cancer then I'll be able to cope [ I think ] , the other option is what's causing the anxiety .

Thought I was ok at 7.30 am but after packing and showering I tried carrying our cases up our steps to the car , my legs went to jelly and my heart was hammering once more - I had to sit outside on the bench to calm down - I'll be alright once we've got going [ hopefully ] .
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Hey ToMOS.

I’m also happy to see you back, sorry for the circumstances though.

I hope you keep a positive attitude and please use this thread as much as possible.

Stay well!
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Bowel cancer survivor right here. If they catch it early and you respond well to medication then you can, and will, beat it.

Post as much as you like on here. I did last year and the KUMB spirit got me through. I too have depression and am mildly autistic. Cancer could’ve destroyed me but I’m better than ever.

I wish you my very best.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by hammer etc »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:04 am After receiving the news of a cancer diagnosis on Monday my mental health has taken a dive with anxiety levels almost constant - it's not knowing whether it's treatable or terminal that's playing on my mind
As I said the other day I've had it for 3 years and know going through radiation treatment, the doctor told me I could live another 10 without treatment. There is a guy that I see at the hospital who was diagnosed years ago and ignored it till know. From your first post I got the impression that they found 2 lots of cancer cells, that is good. While I was waiting for my treatment they put me on monthly injections to stop me producing testosterone my PSA score went down from around 8 to 0.29 stoping the spread. Prostate cancer needs testosterone to grow. I will continue with the injections after my treatment ends. It's ok but you do get hot flushes, they are a bloody pain. There are lots of different treatments which you can have when when they know exactly what they are dealing with. I know it's difficult but try to keep calm until you know exactly what you are facing. I cannot fault the treatment the NHS has given me.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’m really struggling this morning. A very busy Schiphol Airport doesn’t help. Hopefully it’s just tiredness. Feel like I need a lie down.
The Old Man of Storr

I'm sure this will resonate with all folk who've been given a cancer diagnosis - I'm feeling like a condemned man and despite being on ' holiday ' in Dornoch the anxiety is constant - managed 3 hours light sleep last night . Also , I'm not sure whether I have an urine infection from the biopsy or the prostate is swollen from having needles stuck in it or it's the anxiety or all of the above .
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

i hear you with the anxiety TOMOS
Mine has ramped up again through the roof
I am really struggling to deal with my parosmia, and don't t hink i will ever be able to function normally again. everything looks futile at the minute - job, family etc
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Sorry to hear that TOMOS - fingers crossed for it being treatable.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:41 am I'm sure this will resonate with all folk who've been given a cancer diagnosis - I'm feeling like a condemned man and despite being on ' holiday ' in Dornoch the anxiety is constant - managed 3 hours light sleep last night . Also , I'm not sure whether I have an urine infection from the biopsy or the prostate is swollen from having needles stuck in it or it's the anxiety or all of the above .
Even the smallest, slightest change that you wouldn't even take any notice of before diagnosis, all of a sudden become amplified. Things that you wouldn't give a second thought to, become significant enough to cause you stress and anxiety.

It's not easy mate, but, it becomes easier and you start to live with it and become more accepting.

It's still raw with you amd such very early days - it will settle once you're totally in the know as to what you're exactly dealing with.

Hang in there, and most of all, try and keep your mind occupied. You'll be surprised as how soon you start to be able to do things where it's not the only thing on your mind and you get that brief respite from what's going on.

Your mind can be your own worst enemy.
The Old Man of Storr

Went for a drive round Sutherland today - there's quite a few ruined and standing castles dotted about the place -

At around 5 pm after visiting The Falls Of Shin I spotted a small Pharmacy in Bonnar Bridge [ which I've never visited ] , thinking they might give me some antibiotics for a possible urine infection I go in and explain my situation to the Pharmacist - without a word of a lie the Receptionist asks ' Is your name Peter Williams ? ' - ' Yes , how did you know ? ' - ' My Uncle Brian worked with you on the Ferry ' -

I was gobsmacked .

I didn't get the antibiotics but the Pharmacist did arrange for a Doctor to phone me later tonight - I'll get them tonight from some Cottage Hospital in Golspie or have it picked up tomorrow from Dornoch Pharmacy .

Just as I was typing this the Doctor phoned - I'm to go to Golspie where his Driver will give me some antibiotics - what brilliant service !!
Misko
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1385 likes

Post by Misko »

When I was diagnosed with MS ten years ago, I was paying attention to the faintest sensation in my body, thinking about how abnormal it is, and what dramatic consequence it may have. I went through a couple of weeks being freakishly scared, but somehow, life went on, and it had just became the new normal. I hope you'll soon be able to sleep normally, because it's such a vicious circle when you can't. As DL wisely said, try to keep your mind busy with something else as much as possible.

Toutes mes meilleures pensées, TOMOS.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Hey TOMOS, just wanted to say that you are in my thoughts and I wish you all the best.

My wife has been battling cancer for the past seven years and I know what it has done to me and my family over that time. It has never left our thoughts, but it has got easier over time. I hope you start to find things easier in the coming months, that initial shock is all consuming.

Stay strong.
The Old Man of Storr

Got my antibiotics - had to go to this weird hospital which was blacked out almost completely - front door was locked but I found an open door about 300 yards away - the lady Receptionist was waiting for me , knew my name - didn't look like there was anyone else there .
God Bless The NHS .