Any Warhammer Hammers out there?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Re: Any Warhammer Hammers out there?

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Nah, Guilleman can definitely get ****ed, along with all Ultramarines :wink:

Had a couple of games of 30k this week - 1500pts each, on a 5 objective grab game first. I narrowly lost that one by a single, contested objective due to an idiotic mistake on my part which may have swung it in my favour, but thems the breaks.

Second game was an all out war, most victory points for kills wins. Smashed that one and won by quite a margin before my mate conceded defeat.

Turns out I’m not very good tactically, but when it comes to a smash and grab with little thought required, I can hold my own!

Having another crack at Kill Team this coming Tuesday, so we’ll see if I can improve...
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

I really should get involved in 30K - The whole Horus Heresy stuff is stunningly beautiful literature. I could read the novels (especially the first 4) over and over again.

Some of the young people I help in my Youth Work job are big Warhammer 40k players, too.
So I managed to organise for the 6 of us to have a few** 1000pt games on Wednesday during our weekly drop-in and social session that we hold to help them build confidence, etc.

**It ended up lasting for 6 bloody hours :D
simonpaulthomas

It’s a lot of fun - runs on 7th edition rules, so not as streamlined as you might be used to now, but I enjoy it. The models are also great - the Mk4/5 armour is so nice, if a little boring to paint...
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Weird this - I love the "fluff" in WH - the back ground, the story line, the history, the way the worlds and galaxy's are set up and run, the weaponry and the characters, but I really hate the game and have no interest in painting models.

I've read most of the Hours Heresy stuff, most of Gaunt's Ghost, all of Eisenhorn and Ravenor stuff and even listen to a lot of the audio books on Utube when I work. I know a great deal about the history, characters and background, but the only game I ever enjoyed playing was the Inquisitor RPG.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Beasts of Chaos book is out now. It's a great book, one word Dragon Ogors. I really like the models so I may have to invest.

On an aside, does any one have or know someone who wants to sell a Ghorros Warhoof model? It's the only model I need for my Beastmen Army.

I've looked on eBay and the only one I can find is £79.95 + delivery! I emailed GW about it and they didn't help in the slightest!

Also before I forget have you seen the made to order models? They look great if you need one for your collection!
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Dragon Ogres/Shaggoths were always the nuts back the day. Is old Kholek Suneater still about?

Had a massive selling session of old Warhammer stuff this past 6 weeks since the thread was previously updated.
Replaced a lot of it with the beginnings of a T'au army; One of the armies that had never ever interested me before until I read the Farsight book, which is one of the best 40k novels I have ever read.

So I played my first game with them at the local GW yesterday evening.

Farsight and a Cadre as my HQ
2*10 Strike Squads and 1*10 Breacher Squad (in a Devilfish Transport with Cadre) as my Troops
5 Crisis Suits all with Fusion/Flamer/Shield (for the 4++) Combo but the Champion had Double-Fusion.

They got slaughtered by Dark Eldar. I really am not used to playing the "Get close enough to maximise firepower, but not so close that they actually have to fight in close combat" type of game!

I am down to 3 armies now; 3000pts of Dark Angels (Deathwing/Ravenwing, that I will never part with!), 1500pts of Harlequins and 1000pts of T'au. Had to sell my Tyranids :( as an emergency measure back in July when Fraudsters emptied my bank account and I needed money to see me through until refunded. Gits.
simonpaulthomas

Oi oi ya nerds, let’s bring this one back!

What, if anything, are you all up to hobby wise at the moment?

I’m a twat and went all in on the new Vampire stuff on release, and have been painting up that stuff to tournament rule standard - couple of base colours and a wash across the board, then I’ll do details at a later date.
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Used the first Lockdown to get properly into AoS.
Collected and painted up a small Gloomspite army, full of Squigs and Fanatics.
Played a number of games with the new rules edition, and the Gloomspite army has been an absolute hoot to play. So much fun and random movement/mortal wounds/explosions of mad stuff with the Loon Shrine and the Moon.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:08 pm Oi oi ya nerds, let’s bring this one back!

What, if anything, are you all up to hobby wise at the moment?
I enjoy building and painting. I have a good chunk of AoS Stormcast Eternals and a small amount of Khorne I’m working on at the moment.

I play a little Underworlds (Beastgrave) and we got Blood Bowl for Christmas, so I’m currently assembling the teams from the base box. I love the look of the Snotling team, so I’ll be ordering that asap.

I’m a big board gamer. I started painting Warhammer with the intention of painting up the minis in a game called Mansions of Madness.
Last edited by LeonRivers on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

On a related note Cubicle 7 have released a 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and a reworking of the much lauded Enemy Within campaign. While I don't play anymore I couldn't resist buying these lovely books :newthumb:
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I saw my gaming buddy on Saturday for the first time in ages.

We got talking about GW and everything which was great. It’s been ages.

We’re going to take a look at Kings of War until the Warhammer the Old World comes out (if it does). We just can’t get on with Age of Sigmar. I like square bases and ranked up units, so much neater.

I have also started playing Necromunda with a new group which has been fun. I’m playing The Enforcers and have named them all after The Bill characters from back in the day.

Thanks for the heads up about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Metal Hammer, the book has been ordered!
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Got a couple of quick 750pt games lined up this weekend as part of the local GW Store anniversary.
Spent my last few days of Covid isolation dusting off and re-basing my Psychotic Dancing Murder Clown (Harlequins!) army from 2014.

Thankfully, it is a low point level game, so I won't be using some of the absurdly overpowered stuff from the new Codex. Mostly because I don't own any Voidweavers anyway.

Patrol Detachment of:
- Troupe Master, with Relic sword and Fusion Pistol
- Shadowseer

- 11*Troupes, with 4 Fusion Pistols
- 5*Troupes, no upgrades, for holding objectives

- Death Jester, with the mad "exploding 6's" gimmick
- Solitaire, to run in and f*** **** up
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

How did the game go Dave?
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Got absolutely smashed by Tau, drew with Orks and drew with Space Wolves. Was a good fun few hours, to get myself back into the groove of things after not being able to get much game time in over the psat 2 years for obvious reason.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

AnthraxDave wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:40 pm Got absolutely smashed by Tau, drew with Orks and drew with Space Wolves. Was a good fun few hours, to get myself back into the groove of things after not being able to get much game time in over the psat 2 years for obvious reason.
What is the top tier army in 40k these days?

I always liked Eldar as I played all flavours of Elf in Warhammer Fantasy.

Tau might be fun but I think they’re just a shooting army aren’t they? Never enjoyed close combat as I can’t role to hit. If I need 3s you can bet your ass I’ll role 2s.
simonpaulthomas

After literally years of wanting to (and buying the stuff about a year ago), I finally started on an Ork BloodBowl team - Da ‘Ammerz

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

LeonRivers wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:29 am...we got Blood Bowl for Christmas.
Pleasantly surprised to learn this is still a thing. Somewhere in a box I have the original version full of half-painted minotaurs, orcs and other dudes. Must've got that around 1985/86.
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Having some great fun with the new Horus Heresy (Age of Darkness) game.
WestSamToo
Has liked: 384 likes
Total likes: 314 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:35 am Pleasantly surprised to learn this is still a thing. Somewhere in a box I have the original version full of half-painted minotaurs, orcs and other dudes. Must've got that around 1985/86.
I had the original too. Sold it long ago.

There is a decent version on the xbox. Blood Bowl II. I think they are bringing out III soon. Felt like playing the original board game but I fell out with it as fairly often when the AI needed a miracle dice roll.... well I never, three sixes (or equivalent symbols), how convenient. Seemed to happen too often to be luck.

Probably just me being moody :chin: