Any Warhammer Hammers out there?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Re: Any Warhammer Hammers out there?

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Sound amazing, I used to read their choose your own adventure books when I was a kid!

Might have to take a trip to London!

Thanks WHU Independent! :thup:
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

I got a bit drunk earlier this week and made an impulsive purchase from Darksphere who I get most of my 40K stuff from.
(Advertisement is not intended!)

Tyranids were what drew me into 40K, after the 90's Space Hulk. So I spunked a minor tax-refund received this week and bought 3 of the Start Collecting: Tyranids box as well as 3 boxes of Genestealers.

My 2000pt list, bugger all ranged weapons, everything choppy. The way Nids REALLY should be!

----
BATTALION DETACHMENT (+3CP - Tyranids)
HQ:
- Broodlord: Monstrous Rending Claws
- Tyranid Prime: 2* Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
TROOPS:
- 18 Genestealers: Rending Claws
- 14 Genestealers: Rending Claws
- 8 Tyranid Warriors: 2* Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
- 3 Ripper Swarms
- 3 Ripper Swarms
ELITES:
- 3 Tyrant Guard: Scything Talons
HEAVY SUPPORT:
- Trygon Prime: Biostatic Rattle, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
-----
SUPREME COMMAND DETACHMENT (+1 CP - Tyranids)
HQ:
- Swarmlord
- Hive Tyrant: Wings, 2* Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
- Hive Tyrant: Wings, 2* Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
-----
Comes in at dead on 2000pts and gives 7CP.
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I'm just dusting off my High Elves, fixing and repairing.

Hopefully in time to teach someone 8th edition, they're going to bring Warriors of Chaos.

Might even try some 6th edition as well!

How's the Hive Fleet looking Anthrax Dave?
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Going good so far, Chief. Painting them all up in an ice/snow theme as per the instructions of Duncan.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carapace/Chitin armour plate has been done in Space Wolves colours. I'll post a photo of the whole army once done. Quite proud of myself at the moment - I've always been so crap at the painting side of things!
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Sounds awesome dude! :thup:

I can't wait to see some pictures of the army.

I always struggle with painting, I always start with an idea and then get annoyed that it doesn't look like how I imagined it!
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Joyeux Marteau wrote:I'm just dusting off my High Elves, fixing and repairing.

Hopefully in time to teach someone 8th edition, they're going to bring Warriors of Chaos.

Might even try some 6th edition as well!

How's the Hive Fleet looking Anthrax Dave?
Just wondering how your High Elves did, mate.
For me, they were always the "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" army. Unless, like me, you went 100% themed based on their region; A horde of Swordmasters with a Life Mage for the +1 Ward Save, or a massive unit of Dragon Princes with Banner of the World Dragon.

Got to see the new Tyranids Codex earlier today. Happy is probably the biggest understatement of the year.
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

We didn't get round to organising the game as something came up. Hope we will get to reschedule soon.

As for the High Elves, I never really know the best way to play them. I have tried lots of options but nothing really stuck. I love Phoenix Guard and White Lions but never picked which way to go. I always ended up with two small units which got magicked or shot off the table. I'm going with Phoenix Guard this time. . . Or White Lions. What would you recommend?

Whenever I play Swordmasters I always put in a Loremaster of Hoeth, BSB and level one Mage for all the buffs. Quite an expensive unit but well worth it!

I only ever used the banner of the world dragon once on Silver Helms. I was playing Versus Skaven and my opponent had nothing that could hurt me as everything was magic attacks. It was harsh I thought.

Since the End Times books came out it opened up so many new options for my Wood Elves and High Elves, I even bought some Dark Elves units. I use the Cold One Knights as Dragon Princes, the models are great!

I need to check out a review video for the Tyranids, see what's changed. What do you think about the new 40k? Looks like a good edition to me!
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I bought Shadespire on Saturday - looking forward to giving it a blast at my mates tomorrow. I know the core set doesn’t have a lot in it, but I was amazed at how cheap it was for a GW product - £40 all in!
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I was just talking about Shadespire with my friend on Saturday. Looks alright for some quick games, didn't realise it was only £40! Might be tempted. . .

Have you played Frostgrave yet simonpaulthomas?
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

New Codex for the Blood Angels next week. Then the 1st Legion, Dark Angels, my favourite faction of all time soon afterwards
:scarfer:
Having so much fun with my Tyranids at the moment, but I think the Sons of Sanguinius will be best placed to stop my Genestealer onslaught.
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Sounds like nothing can stop the swarm! Never really played 40k but might get into it one day.

Has anyone thought about Necromunda? Reissued recently and I am tempted.

Also they have got a just released a elven Bloodbowl team!
simonpaulthomas

I’m very tempted by Necromunda, but as it stands I still haven’t played Shadespire yet!

The hobby is on the back burner right now as the mrs is weeks away from giving birth.
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Yeah, Necromunda looks really great; I watched a couple of run-through/tutorial games on Youtube. Really fun.

So, in the past 6 weeks, I have had to buy Codex books for Tyranids and Blood Angels - 2 of the 4 armies I collect. This weekend is Dark Angels, one of the others, being released.
Thankfully, for the two Marine-esque books, I don't need any new models as I am happy with what I have :phew:
simonpaulthomas

I’ve nearly finished my Khorne warband, so thought I’d share a couple of pictures;

AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Awesome sauce, mate :thup:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Just to let you know that in Jan 2018 my club are running a Shadespire day for players of all abilities from total novice to seasoned veteran. If you want any details let me know. You don't even have to own the game, and if you do, you can bring your team along and give em a run out.
simonpaulthomas

That sounds great, but I’m down in Devon so probably not a goer for me!

I had a quick game against our apprentice at work, and despite fudging some of the rules it was a lot of fun - you kinda pick it up after half an hour, so a good introductory game. Got the Sepulchral Guard for Christmas too, so that’s another warband to paint 8-)
simonpaulthomas

I’d highly recommend Shadespire if you’re considering it - I’ve played a handful of games over Christmas, and after ironing out most of the general rules it was a lot of fun. Games only last 30-60 minutes depending how you play, and there’s scope to go really in depth with your warband over time using the card system - at times I found myself thinking ahead two or three turns (only to roll bad and eat ****, naturally!). The models are also really great and fun to paint too.
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Simonpaulthomas, those models look awesome I am jealous!

I think I will check out Shadespire as it does look good and is not too expensive! £40 I think.

I got the Elven Team for Bloodbowl which I need to start work on, I'm looking forward to a game or two.

We also managed to have a few games of 8th Edition Fantasy, was great fun to get back into it. We're going to try to get more games in. Can't wait!
simonpaulthomas

WHU Independent wrote:Just to let you know that in Jan 2018 my club are running a Shadespire day for players of all abilities from total novice to seasoned veteran. If you want any details let me know. You don't even have to own the game, and if you do, you can bring your team along and give em a run out.
How did the tournament go mate? I saw a few photos on the Shadespire Facebook group, it looked fun.

I’ve had a few more games now (and bought and painted the Orks) and I’m really enjoying it.