Any Warhammer Hammers out there?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Re: Any Warhammer Hammers out there?

Post by Metal Hammer »

Never been a big fan of wargaming per se but loved the Warhammer RPG setting, and ran a few campaigns back in the day. I actually won my copy of the original rulebook in a White Dwarf magazine competition. On a semi related note, I was clearing out my parents loft yesterday and found my copy of Heroquest tucked away up there!
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I showed our apprentice the TV ad for Hero Quest today and it blew his mind. I remember being 7 years old when it came out and I wanted it more than anything else in the world. I think I got it a year or two later and it was amazing.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

I don't play, but the modelling techniques are often superb, especially figure painting.
Handily for railway modellers, GW Chaos Black is a very good match for a slightly worn British Railways loco black.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Aw, man, Heroquest.
The number of evenings in the local pub where a load of us would drink beer and play Heroquest! Landlord loved it, too, and often joined us.
We played BloodBowl, as well; Just stupid trying to roll a D6 for your Orc Blocker when you could not see straight!

I'm playing my first ever 40K tournament next weekend! Boss from the local club messaged me, so I am taking my Grey Knights....Draigo, Voldus, 2 shooty Paladin squads, a Paladin squad with dual Falchions to deep strike with Draigo/Voldus and the Paladin Ancient and Apothecary. Fire support will come from a pair of Venerable Dreadnoughts - One with Lascannon and one with Assault Cannon.

I know for a fact that I am going, at some stage, to face off with an Ork "Brigade" detachment which will outnumber me 20-1 :lol:
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

HeroQuest was amazing! You are lucky to find yours, I think mine is long gone sadly!

However I did pick up Space Crusade on ebay (other auction sites are available) and it bought back so many good memories. Such a great game, It is a shame they do not relaunch them like BloodBowl last year!

Was the RPG any good? I have heard good things and I think Fantasy Flight have the rights to it now, is it worth a punt?
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

My mate brought Heroquest down our games club a few weeks ago and we had a game - it was immense - not dated at all.

If you are interested there's a 30K open fun competition match in Bristol this weekend and there is a con called Dragondaze in Newport that are running all kinds of WH and RPG's.
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I'd love to have gone to Bristol to check it out but I am off to the football for the first time in ages! Next time though. . . .

My friend lives in Caerlaon so we might have to check out Newport though!
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

Quick update from my previous post....
The Grey Knights army I took to the local tournament this Saturday got destroyed :lol:

Orks just blew me off the table, but I didn't care because we both had a great laugh. He won the entire tournament in the end, and was a blast to play against.
Necrons were that army that would not die. Reanimation stuff every turn just made it dull. A bore-draw.
Wraith/Iyanden Eldar was one of the closest games I have ever had in 20+ years of 40k. Lost by just a single VP in the end; Draigo got stomped to death by a Wraithknight. If he had survived, I would have won by 2 VP.

The semi-finals were Orks vs Blood Angels and Necrons vs Imperial Guard. Orks beat Guard in the final.
simonpaulthomas

I ****ing hate Necrons with a passion - I played against them once and it just went on for ages, with me killing entire swathes of them, only for them to get resurrected and pick me off slowly, round by round.
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Finally got around to painting some scenery that I have been putting off for ages, was quite fun to actually do the painting, very zen as well.

Can't for the life of me paint figures though!
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Joyeux Marteau wrote:Finally got around to painting some scenery that I have been putting off for ages, was quite fun to actually do the painting, very zen as well.

Can't for the life of me paint figures though!
I used to paint miniatures when I was younger. Not masses for wargaming, this was individuals for RPG's. I doubt I have the hand or eye for it any more mind you.
WHU Independent

If anyone is interested my club is running an ORKTOBERFEST on the 14th October. It's basically beer and Orks, with lots of warhammer, Heroquest, 40K Beer Hammer, 40k at 15mm, Kings of War Campaign, KOW and Warpath demos, Ork Frostgrave, Space for free play and BYO games, cheap bar and drunken carnage. It's at the Bethnal Green Working Man's club, Bethnal Green E2 - 5 min from the underground - £5 for the day.
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I'm going to play some Dead Zone and Dread Fleet tomorrow, can't wait!

Warhammer on the High Seas!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Metal Hammer wrote:On a semi related note, I was clearing out my parents loft yesterday and found my copy of Heroquest tucked away up there!
i remember one far far away christmas day, with a wrapped gift of just the right size with my name on it waiting under the tree...
i opened the box with trepidation...

STARQUEST

worst christmas i can remember.
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

I caved in to the blessings of Nurgle this past few weeks. Sold a £300 load of my old High Elf and Chaos stuff on ebay and got the Death Guard Codex, the new Typhus model (it is stunning!) and 2 sets of the Deathshroud Terminators. For 75 points each, they are not brilliant, but I just love the theme. The idea of 5 of them and Typhus doing the old Deepstrike just makes me laugh.

Mortarion, along with Lorgar, is the one of the original Primarch's I can relate to the most....Fighting for the oppressed, pen mightier than the sword, etc.
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I never got on with Nurgle or Chaos for that matter, I always have to shoot the Nurgle WoC off the table first to get them out of the way! The -1 to hit in close combat has ruined my day on more than one occasion.

The Deathwatch models, for the Leaders/Generals do look nice though!
AnthraxDave

Post by AnthraxDave »

The new Tyranid codex is out early in November.
Happy days.
I just hope that they keep Genestealers as deadly as they currently are, like they bloody should be!
My favourite unit in the whole of the 40K setting.
simonpaulthomas

I like Tyrnanids, but painting them is too much of a ball ache to consider a small army for me - I had the Macragge box set before and thought I'd get away with some washes and edge highlighting... nope!

I'm mostly just making and painting terrain for Frostgrave at the moment - I'm desperate to play!
Joyeux Marteau

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

simonpaulthomas wrote:
I'm mostly just making and painting terrain for Frostgrave at the moment - I'm desperate to play!
If you lived closer I would be happy to play Frostgrave with you, it is a great game! Rolling D20's is awesome!
WHU Independent

If you want to play Frostgrave make a date for 2nd December - Games Day https://www.dragonmeet.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loads of players there, demos and you can take your own stuff and play at a table if you want!