Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by johnnyb »

last.caress wrote:Paul Merson gives West Ham's transfer window a grade of "B-", better than Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke and Watford (and the same as Crystal Palace):

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ea-man-utd
What the f*** would Merson be doing in life now if he hadn't struck lucky with Sky? Failed as a manager but an 'expert' pundit., he can't even pronounce foreign players' names. Complete dickhead.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Paul “a very lot” Merson gives hope to the mentally feeble.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

last.caress wrote:Paul Merson gives West Ham's transfer window a grade of "B-", better than Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke and Watford (and the same as Crystal Palace):

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ea-man-utd
I wonder if Puff agrees.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

thejackhammer wrote: I wonder if Puff agrees.
:lol:
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Has Toulalan signed yet?
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

So what happens in the summer if Mario is as positive an addition to the first 11 as his first appearance indicates he could be - do we really expect them to come up with the 30 million to make him a permanent signing?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

continental skills wrote:So what happens in the summer if Mario is as positive an addition to the first 11 as his first appearance indicates he could be - do we really expect them to come up with the 30 million to make him a permanent signing?
If Inter would allow a dodgy payment structure then yes.

We put £24 million into Arnautovic so £30 million into a player Sullivan can brag about (£45 million player, Euro’s winner etc) is plausible.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

continental skills wrote:So what happens in the summer if Mario is as positive an addition to the first 11 as his first appearance indicates he could be - do we really expect them to come up with the 30 million to make him a permanent signing?
Why not? We bid 40 odd million for Lacazette a few years back :wink:

In all seriousness, if he works out as we hope I'm sure we'll come to an agreement with Inter

We'll offer his price over 5 years...theyll be happy to be able to say they're recouping most of what they paid, we'll be able to say we've broken our transfer record. Everyone saves face... but we ultimately end up with a top player
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Aceface wrote:Does appear from what is known that if there was an actual desire to establish ourselves as one of the clubs around the Europa spots – rather than just to talk about it but do the precise opposite in actions – over the course of six months we could comfortably have assembled a central midfield right now of Wilshere, Dendoncker and Carvalho for circa £65m.

Not chump change, but only double what we paid for Fonte, Snodgrass and Hughill – bench players all – and young and talented enough not to have to go to the well every summer to buy the next punt or patch up.

Desperately need to switch to a view of recruitment that involves a longer time horizon than muddling through to the next tv payment in a year's time.
It depends on the true willingness to spend money.

In previous years the money has gone in at a reasonable rate. This year there is no net investment. It's difficult to see why that would change in the absence of some kind of evidence to the contrary.

Taken at face value, Mario and Dendoncker would set the club back £50m in the summer.

The club would definitely need to recruit another goalkeeper as well as Hart is bound to go.

So where will the money come from?

Potential sales can't be many.

Carroll would certainly be a possible with just 12 months left on his contract and Hernandez is still talking about leaving. After that?

Perhaps the sell off of the likes of Burke, Cullen, Martinez, Haksabanovic, Samuelson to raise a few million.

TV money is just stand still money at best.

We need to have sight of the club's accounts to have some idea what's going on.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Hopefully this season is just a reaction to the securitisation coming to an end. That is a massive cash flow hit to take and is something the current lot inherited.

I doubt we’ll see £50m of spend in the summer though. Cannot see us being more than £25m-£30m (net) based on the spending of the more stable clubs this season.

So if they want to completely restructure the money comes from selling Lanzini but that has little impact on the wage bill.

Basically we will still payimg for the mistakes of the past and I cannot see that changing until 2020
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

It wouldn’t surprise me if the money is there just because they seem to always say the moneys there as an excuse not to spend on others

Couldn’t get x player in because we have 40 tied up in mario
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

mumbles87 wrote: It wouldn’t surprise me if the money is there just because they seem to always say the moneys there as an excuse not to spend on others

Couldn’t get x player in because we have 40 tied up in mario
I just see no evidence of them having the money or being willing to pay it. First the Zaza loan, where everyone seemed too keen not to trigger the purchase clause, then the ridiculous Carvalho and Dendonker negotiations. The Joao Mario deal looks to me like another stop-gap. The only signings we seem to have made over the past few seasons have been ones where the selling/loaning club are willing to accept payment over a very long term. Even Lanzini was one that took ages to complete - to me it all smacks of them having spent next year's income already and plugging financial gaps when they are able. But maybe Juventus are prepared to accept a payment schedule spread across the next decade...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

They will try to haggle Mario down to about £20-25m if he maintains Tuesday's standard - always assuming there is a pot of money unlike the disappearing cash this season.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

They have made a massive deal about wages and I suspect that is why they have reduced squad size. Its the ongoing cost that's affecting their bottom line.

They went for players on big wages that haven't increased in value or attracted suitors (Ayew the exception) and the success hasn't been relative.

So Hernandez £140k wages
Hart on a rumoured £130K
Aurnautovic on £100K
Carroll on £80K
Reid on £70K
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Do clubs get the TV money in one big wedge or is it doled out in dribs and drabs?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

uptonparkhurst wrote:Do clubs get the TV money in one big wedge or is it doled out in dribs and drabs?
Something like half upfront and then drips through in a couple of further instalments plus £x per televised game (from memory). Hence why we were securitising it so it was available on day one.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think Brighton 3 West Ham United 1 kind of tells you all you need to know about our January window.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I really think we should make a full on push for Toulalan on a short term contract, he may be 34 but he is better than anyone we have in defensive midfield and at least for the moment he is available and at the perfect price for our owners.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote:They will try to haggle Mario down to about £20-25m if he maintains Tuesday's standard - always assuming there is a pot of money unlike the disappearing cash this season.
Ironmike has heard from his agent that he wants to stay if we secure premiership survival apparently

Sullivan will break out in a cold sweat
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Georgee Paris wrote:I think Brighton 3 West Ham United 1 kind of tells you all you need to know about our January window.
I think our injuries tell you a whole lot more.