the dinner thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Re: the dinner thread

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

My own "Red fusion" soup:
leek, sweet potato, carrots, red pepper, vegetable stock cube, 1 small tin of coconut milk, 2 teaspoons of thai red curry paste, salt , pepper and top up with water. I bung it all in my budget soup maker and 22 minutes later I have a healthy, delicious and (accidentally) vegan thai / european fusion spicy soup.

Of course, it is now 34°C, so a bowl of hot soup is not really what the doctor ordered.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:57 am My own "Red fusion" soup:
leek, sweet potato, carrots, red pepper, vegetable stock cube, 1 small tin of coconut milk, 2 teaspoons of thai red curry paste, salt , pepper and top up with water. I bung it all in my budget soup maker and 22 minutes later I have a healthy, delicious and (accidentally) vegan thai / european fusion spicy soup.

Of course, it is now 34°C, so a bowl of hot soup is not really what the doctor ordered.
Gazpacho ?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Re: Today I am cooking...

Post by bonzosbeard »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:07 pm Proper carbonara needs guanciale, Pecorino Romano, LOTS of black pepper, three egg yolks and spaghettoni or linguini.

It's a pretty simple dish but twats like Ramsay just butcher it completely.
Wait until you hear mine.

Fry chopped bacon, mushrooms, add cheddar cheese, double cream, jar of pesto ten add pasta. Sounds wrong but I've never known anyone's kids not love it. A few adults too.
Joffrey
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Joffrey »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:33 pm This is an excellent, and pretty straightforward, recipe for pork belly from Ramsay. Once it's cooked, cooled and pressed, you can stick chunks of the belly in the freezer, and defrost before the final roast for a quick supper, or slice leftovers thinly for use in Asian soups etc.

Been meaning to try this for a while. Tomorrow is the day! Anyone tried using red wine rather than white? (There may be an obvious reason why you use white rather than red - cooking is not my forte)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Home made chicken kebab marinated in yoghurt, paprika, olive oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper cooked over a cast iron pan with bulgar wheat and vermicelli and salad. 'effin 'andsome.

It boils my piss that my missus and step-daughter just won't eat anything remotely foreign. My missus doesn't even like rice FFS !!!! :angryred:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:50 am My missus doesn't even like rice FFS !!!! :angryred:
But he's our best player!?!
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Joffrey wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:34 am Been meaning to try this for a while. Tomorrow is the day! Anyone tried using red wine rather than white? (There may be an obvious reason why you use white rather than red - cooking is not my forte)
Use white wine, red would be too tart for pork belly. If you haven’t got white, cider works too, but definitely not red.
Last edited by dasnutnock3 on Sat May 21, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Tonight - confit duck legs with white bean casserole.
Tomorrow - squash & spinach lasagne with a whole tub of marscapone in the bechamel.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

WHU Independent wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm On average I go about times 4-5 a day regular.
That's got to be abnormal! Hasn't it?
WHU Independent wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm and lunch was a F O Salad with every veg you can imagine + sourkraut, rocket and falafal.
What makes you think I couldn't imagine rocket?
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Currently making a bolognese, using that mincemeat which is packed with veg too.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Chicken Madeira. Herb marinated chicken breast, in a rich madeira cream sauce, with roasted chestnut mushrooms served with rice. Well, that's what it says on the packet bought at Tesco's

Was ****ing horrible
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Sat May 21, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:25 pm Tonight - confit duck legs with white bean casserole.
Was magnificent, if not very low-cal.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:25 pm Tonight - confit duck legs with white bean casserole.
Tomorrow - squash & spinach lasagne with a whole tub of marscapone in the bechamel.
Don't use marscapone mate. It tastes far better with either Mozzarella, Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano. Only yanks use marscapone and in general they butcher Italian food.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Rump steak, thick cut chips and garden peas. But this, is not just yer ordinary rump steak, oh no, this is lump of Argentine steak, bought from a newly opened South American butcher shop in Epsom. It was a ****ing great lump of rump, an enormous ****er, like you would eat in Texas
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:49 pm lump of Argentine steak, bought from a newly opened South American butcher shop in Epsom.
Desert Orchid did not like this post.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:48 pm Don't use marscapone mate. It tastes far better with either Mozzarella, Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano. Only yanks use marscapone and in general they butcher Italian food.
Could barely taste the marscapone - just cranked up the calories.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Tin of Moroccan style chick pea loop-dee with straight-to-wok udon noodles in and mozzarella on top…fusion!
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Was on the Moroccan theme in the CRS house last night.
Lamb kofte, falafel and couscous with a home made lush yoghurt and mint dressing and flatbreads.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Done some traditional bolognese sauce and pasta. Took 5 hours too cook.

Beef/Pork mince
Celery
1 carrott
Tinned tomatos
1 bottle of tomato Passata
Tomato puree
(ahem) ... glass of red wine

Mixed it up with some pappardelle pasta and I can honestly say it's the best bolognese sauce I've ever tasted. Got a load left over which I'm going to use for a Lasagne. It's a big mistake to use spaghetti pasta for bolognese, pappardelle pasta is much much better.