the dinner thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Re: Today I am cooking...

Post by Jennings »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:33 pm This is an excellent, and pretty straightforward, recipe for pork belly from Ramsay. Once it's cooked, cooled and pressed, you can stick chunks of the belly in the freezer, and defrost before the final roast for a quick supper, or slice leftovers thinly for use in Asian soups etc.

This is one of my go-to’s. Did it the day before yesterday!

I go to town with the garlic & I use 50:50 thyme and rosemary.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

One of Ramsay's finest hours in TV cooking, IMO. Great for dinner parties (all the prep done in advance), sunday lunches, you name it. Am kicking myself for not doing this in advance now, but I might do one this weekend :thup:
Suffolk Iron
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Suffolk Iron »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:31 pm A tin of Stagg chilli and a packet of microwave rice
Have already cooked a proper chilli, in preparation, walked down to the local shop to get some garlic bread. Bumped into a couple of West Ham fans that I know.

Six pints later, well you can guess the rest!

May have to bollox up a good chilli with microwave rice.

I will try to rearrange the words "give, I, do,a, fu¢k" into a sentence later!

COYI'S
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:53 pm One of Ramsay's finest hours in TV cooking, IMO. Great for dinner parties (all the prep done in advance), sunday lunches, you name it. Am kicking myself for not doing this in advance now, but I might do one this weekend :thup:
Think the ship has sailed time-wise for the pressing part now, but it's a great idea - and I always wondered how restaurants got those perfect matchbox shapes!
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:53 pm One of Ramsay's finest hours in TV cooking, IMO. Great for dinner parties (all the prep done in advance), sunday lunches, you name it. Am kicking myself for not doing this in advance now, but I might do one this weekend :thup:
I’m pretty sure there used to be a dinner thread & you posted this recipe on it several years ago, Dan?

I’m sure that’s where I first saw it.

Now a classic.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Slicing a big pressed belly joint into neat cubes is indescribably satisfying 😂
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Jennings wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:08 pm I’m pretty sure there used to be a dinner thread & you posted this recipe on it several years ago, Dan?

I’m sure that’s where I first saw it.

Now a classic.
Might have been, yeah. It’s been my go to for pork belly recipe for years, although it’s good done offset on a kettle bbq with a final sear over the coals near the end. Ramsay’s instructions on that video are nearly perfect (no mention of oven temp but I’ve always cooked it at 185c fan or 200c conventional).
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Just ordered a Ruby to soak up a bottle of Rum.

I'm in trouble, chaps.

Real trouble.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

.... or rather, have cooked, a rather delicious cottage pie. I did it this morning through to this afternoon - and made it with 5% fat minced beef, petis pois, onion and my magic ingredient :grin:

I stir fired the mince and onion, and whilst doing that I sprinkled two oxo cubes in, then added a handful of the petit pois. I stuck the kettle on, made some thick, bisto gravy, and added a few dashed of Lea and Perrins and pepper.

Whilst it was in the pan still, I poured the gravy on it, then added the bit that makes it for me - mashed swede and carrot. Gave it a good stir, let in simmer for a bit, then bunged it in the roasting pot, and topped it with mash made with butter, milk, and a dollop of fresh, double cream, with a touch of salt and pepper.

Left it in the fridge for 3 hours, then bunged it in the oven for 45 mins - and the mash was still fluffy, but with a superb crispy top, and the mince and beg was a lovely, thick consistency.

Food of the ****ing gods.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

S-H wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:53 pm Just ordered a Ruby to soak up a bottle of Rum.

I'm in trouble, chaps.

Real trouble.
Your entire house is tomorrow, that's for certain.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I was explaining cottage and shepherds pies to the septics at work just this afternoon. They were all dumbfounded by the recipes “wait, you top the pie with mash puh-taterz? Man, that **** is crazy!”, but they did sound like they were going to try it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:23 pm I was explaining cottage and shepherds pies to the septics at work just this afternoon. They were all dumbfounded by the recipes “wait, you top the pie with mash puh-taterz? Man, that **** is crazy!”, but they did sound like they were going to try it.
I still get flashbacks to the corn dog apocalypse I for some insane reason ordered at Coney Island, on my sole visit to the USA.

The direst sausage meat encased in cake.

If they can swallow one of those, shepherd's pie is probably too refined for their palettes! Their diet is painful to even read :D
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Corndogs - something that could only be invented by a nation of morons.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

That said, I did once have an excellent “chili dog” from Pinks hot dogs in LA. We’d mostly been eating quinoa salads and drinking peach iced tea, so some genuine grub was extremely welcome. Filthy and welcome.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Fake out Friday today

Going veggie this week to mix it up

Already this morning I've cooked

Chana masala
Pilau rice
Tomato curry (forget the name)

Cooking a black dhal fresh tonight
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Got a busy weekend this weekend with the family, so about to head down to the local pictures and pick up a joint of meat for a roast tonight. Don't know what I'm going to get yet, but it will be with all the trimmings, and home made, fluffy yorkie puds.

It's been about three weeks since we last had a proper roast, so I may as well.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

-DL- wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:25 am so about to head down to the local pictures and pick up a joint of meat for a roast tonight.
Re showing of Porkies?
badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by badabing »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:31 pm A tin of Stagg chilli and a packet of microwave rice
:smiler: You are John Torode and I claim my free Masterchef apron.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Day off, house to myself….

Thick cut smoked bacon rasher (x4), large eggs (x2), avocados (x2) smashed with fresh coriander, chilli powder and lime juice, slices of rye sourdough bread (x4)

Grill bacon until fat’s crisp, fry eggs, toast bread (1 side), spread avocado mix on bread (un toasted side), top with bacon then egg and a pinch of cayenne pepper.

Serve with large pot of tea (English Breakfast).

Eat while repeatedly reading last nights match reports.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Rum