MLB Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Re: MLB Thread

Post by dodger »

FloridaHammer wrote:Rays best player out 3-months. Get ready for 110 losses or more.
Oh ye of little faith! 7 wins in a row for the Rays now.

Yankees @ Angels is an intriguing series in many ways. Hoping Ohtani is stifled at least for the next few days.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Boston keep on rolling, but shockingly so do the D-Backs.

18-7 now and 8 straight series wins to begin the year. The best since the 2001 Seattle Mariners, and the best in the National League since 1977. All with 2 of our top offensive players out injured.

However I still refuse to get carried away.

Regarding the Tampa Bay Rays, they have won the last 7 games I have watched them. Good luck charm for you. :D

Yankees doing O'k aswell.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Those D’Backs really pulling some punches now. Soon to have the best record in MLB perhaps?

As for my Yankees, we are starting to really come together. Probably speaking too soon but this team has enormous potential.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

New York Yankees v Arizona Diamondbacks 2018 World Series.

Re-run of 2001. Book it. :thup:
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I'm in New York in September and think I'm going to take in a Yankees game (probably v the blue jays)

No idea what to expect but I'm sure it will be fun! :scarfer:
dodger

Post by dodger »

If they keep up the current form it should be a good atmosphere. Yankees fans are demanding of their players, but very supportive and vocal when they are on a decent run or playing an important game, which is often enough. Watching vs the Blue Jays will be interesting I think. They have quite a good team and I can actually see it being a three-way battle for first in our division (with th Red Sox too probably, although they’ve been showing weakness recently).

And yeah brothernero, I’d settle for that in the WS!
dodger

Post by dodger »

The season is developing nicely.

As for us Yankees, it’s an odd one. Great record overall and some great clutch moments. That said, a lot of the players haven’t been great (Sanchez, Bird, Stanton, Gray etc..). Often we’ve been carried by the two incredible rookies plus Judge and Severino. A good team yes but for me the Red Sox still have a better team overall, as hard as it is to say that....
We can still finish above them though.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Houston Astros looking really good again, decent chance they could go all the way once again and defend their crown.

Boston and the Yankees in a real good tussle for the AL East. Will go down to the wire.

The Diamondbacks are having a really bizarre year. Still in first place but their year so far can be broken down to three stages.

Started of 21-8 then went 5-18 and now have gone 17-7.

Our star man Paul Goldschmidt looked completely lost at the plate and was hitting under .200 with just 4 Home-runs. Now all of a sudden his batting Avg is back up to .270 and he has 17 Home-runs.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

PS I'm still gutted that the D-Backs could not afford to hold onto J.D Martinez. :(
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

dodger wrote:The season is developing nicely.

As for us Yankees, it’s an odd one. Great record overall and some great clutch moments. That said, a lot of the players haven’t been great (Sanchez, Bird, Stanton, Gray etc..). Often we’ve been carried by the two incredible rookies plus Judge and Severino. A good team yes but for me the Red Sox still have a better team overall, as hard as it is to say that....
We can still finish above them though.
Yankees are short on starting pitching.

Hopefully Gary Sanchez not out for too long.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Definitely one short at least, although this rookie looks good.

There’s been talk of DeGrom from the Mets but they’d probably want Torres or Andújar in return so that’s not gonna happen.

As for the D-Backs, a strange season indeed. Thought you guys were gonna go the way of the Mets for a while after both having good starts, but you’ve recovered well and still have a good shot at the postseason.

You’re right about the Astros brothernero. Their pitching rotation in particular is ridiculously strong.

Don’t rule out the Dodgers or the Brewers in th NL either. Don’t think the Braves have enough to go deep into the postseason.
dodger

Post by dodger »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Hopefully Gary Sanchez not out for too long.
Agree but I think he needed an extended break anyway, batting below .200 and Romine has been much better than him all round this season. Sánchez is a great player and will be back but for now the Yankees can do without him.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

He we go again with the D-backs and their very strange year and win lose stages.

21-8
5-18
21-8
1-6

The Dodgers have now taken first place again and I don't see them losing it. More so now they have got many of their key players back.

This is meant to be our make and break year, all or nothing. Because heading into the next few years the D-backs could be like the Astros of old, 90 or even 100+ losing years for a good while to come.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Watching the Yankees the other night, they have Aaron Judge and Brandon Drury.

Judge and Drury. :lol: :thup:
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

What do they say about baseball. YCPB. "You cant predict baseball"

Sure cant. New York Mets having a woeful year with the bat, their offence has been shocking.

However their last 2 games. 16-5 and 24-4 wins. :lol:

This year has seen some really daft scores, mind you that has been helped by the new trend of positions players pitching in blow-out games.
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

This is far from being a new trend.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 198 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

The Mets playing games that count in a little league park? The jokes just write themselves :lol:
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Back to the top for this forgotten thread.

Well the Yankees are in the post season but sadly my team has had an unprecedented total collapse.

We went from 15 games over in late late August and 1st place to now just 2 games over and trying to somehow see if we can make it to mount .500. To be polite about it, we ****ing quit and just gave up when the going got tough. Something rotten has happened inside the club house and no one really knows what.

Now talking of the Yankees, what do you think about the fact that they could win 100 games this year and yet will face a 1 game wild card decider v Oakland, who themselves could win close to 100 games. Yet the Cleveland Indians won their division some time ago but are still yet to even win 90 games. No wild card for them, they go straight to the ALDS with home field advantage.

Is that fair, or is it just one of those things.

To pad that out somewhat, Tampa Bay and Seattle could end the year with more wins than the Indians yet both those clubs have already been eliminated.

Again, fair, or just tough luck.

This was discussed during one of the games the other day and I for one agree with the guy in the booth doing the commentary (Don't recall his name)

He said that how he would change things is to still keep Geographic Scheduling but instead of having 3 individual Divisions in each of the AL and NL leagues, he would instead make it just one whole League in both.

So as it would then stand 15 teams in the AL and 15 in the NL. (IE Just 1 league in each)

The top 3 teams go straight to the post-season with home field advantage. The two teams who finish 5th and 6th play a 1 game play-off. 5th place with home field Adv. The winner of that then plays the team who finished 4th (4th place team also with with Home field Adv) with the the winner going onto the ALDS and NLDS.

I have to agree with him and do think that seems a much fairer way. It would also keep the season alive much longer for several teams making things more exciting in the last month and then days.

Because he is right when he says at present the 6 divisions are extremely flawed and not very fair.

A few others have also claimed this.
Last edited by brothernero on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Went to the Yankees v Blue Jays game the Sunday before last and it was great fun!

Helped that West Ham had just pasted Everton as well, made the beer taste even better
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

The wildcard game is the most ridiculous thing, to have a mammoth 162 game season all based on squad depth and pitching rotation etc for it to then come down to a one game shootout is baffling. I don't get why they don't have a series to decide it.

I agree with having an east/west division, they'd be better off doing it like the NBA 1st play 6th 2nd plays 5th and so on.