Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Depressed Hammer

Re: Manuel Pellegrini sacked

Post by Depressed Hammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:29 pm You're both arguing over which team was very fractionally less ***** than the other. :lol:
One team can,t score and the other defend.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Moyes team can't do either away from home!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Ozza wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:16 pm I wonder how many of the ones who wanted Pellers out would have him back over Moyes?
Nope. It's like choosing between being tied to floor and having your balls covered in dog food and letting in a starving rottweiler, or having to go down on a 34 stone fat bird that's got a double dose of blue waffle.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I would do a lucky dip and take any L2 manager over Moyes. Genuinely.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

-DL- wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:55 pm Nope. It's like choosing between being tied to floor and having your balls covered in dog food and letting in a starving rottweiler, or having to go down on a 34 stone fat bird that's got a double dose of blue waffle.
Well if you put it like that :D
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Once a West Ham London manager is on that downward trajectory there really is no way back up. Bilic, Pelle were both doomed once they began the slide...with Moyes you could say there hasn't really been any sort of path. We have simply just stayed down there. Have the players now gone beyond the adjustment period and lost all faith?
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

-DL- wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:55 pm Nope. It's like choosing between being tied to floor and having your balls covered in dog food and letting in a starving rottweiler, or having to go down on a 34 stone fat bird that's got a double dose of blue waffle.
Agh, that is an image I cannot shake! Think on reflection I would choose the dog food.....

Choosing between Pelly Boy and Magic Moyes would be worse than that though!
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

Pellegrini was, on paper, an aspirational appointment.

Sadly the reality of the situation was that he was the managerial equivalent of signing Patrice Evra.

World-class manager [player] in his time, but well past his best, lacking in motivation and here for one last payday.

Moyes was the opposite of aspirational, but on the face of it seemed like a sensible appointment.

The reality is that he's not had enough time, and may not have enough guile, to get the best out of our perennially lopsided squad.

We're a mess.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Smonnie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 pm Pellegrini was, on paper, an aspirational appointment.

Sadly the reality of the situation was that he was the managerial equivalent of signing Patrice Evra.

World-class manager [player] in his time, but well past his best, lacking in motivation and here for one last payday.

Moyes was the opposite of aspirational, but on the face of it seemed like a sensible appointment.

The reality is that he's not had enough time, and may not have enough guile, to get the best out of our perennially lopsided squad.

We're a mess.
He'll have had half a season by the time this season ends
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

they chose moyes because he was cheap and unemployed so no compensation. there were others available such as eddie howe, sean dyche and nico kovac.

dyche would have been good for us. sorts the defence out and plays 442 so haller would at least get a chance of scoring.

all the others were more expensive so GSB reverted to type and chose the cheapest option for WHU; moyes.

moyes will take us down and then be sacked with Nolan taking over. might as well sack moyes after the saints game if we fail to win. then appoint Nolan and get ready for the championship.

lose to saints and players like Anderson haller rice soucek bowen will be thinking of their escapes out of the circus if they are not already !
Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Smonnie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 pm Pellegrini was, on paper, an aspirational appointment.

We're a mess.
I agree with the Pellegrini assessment. I was pleased at the time.

I don't think Moyes was a sensible appointment, I think it was a cheap appointment by our Board. We could have gone all out and spent some money on a reputational manager like Everton did. Difference is, they were linked and didn't even approach Moyes, despite their history.
I have tried so hard to buy into Moyes on his second stint but I just cannot see where we have improved. To be fair Moyes has had some time and a transfer window.
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

Ozza wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:07 pm He'll have had half a season by the time this season ends
Is that enough time?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Ozza wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:07 pm He'll have had half a season by the time this season ends
And one January transfer window, and having to make do with Pellergrini's duff signings with just the addition of Bowen and Randolph.

It's like sticking Hamilton in last year's Williams and expecting him to win the Driver's Championship again. Obviously Moyes isn't the football equivalent of Hamilton, but you get my basic point.

We had our Hamilton, the former Champion, in Pellergrini and look how that turned out. Kept crashing half way through, but rarely when he got it together ended up on the podium. But mostly, he was in the gravel trap...
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

The point being that when he walked back into the club, he said it was a better squad than the one he left, there is no way this squad is the third worse in the league yet we are worse now than when he joined.

So yeah half a season under a good manager is more than enough time
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Out of interest D_L what is your take on Moyes record as a manager v just these 4 teams, Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

P89 W2 D27 L60

Do you think Moyes can change a habit of a life time and all of a sudden start setting out teams that can beat the best clubs. His Everton teams were pretty much always far better squad wise then ours and he failed, He also failed in doing it at one of biggest clubs in the world when he was at Man United.

So does anyone think he can now become a manager who is capable of beating the very best. Of even nicking the odd win here and there v them. Seeing as we now have to put Man City, Tottenham and perhaps even Leicester City into the mix as Best and Bigger teams. So from 4, up to 7.

2 wins in 89 games suggests there is not a chance in hell.

Not a dig at you btw or at any of the Moyes backers, just generally really curious at how anyone can try and defend those stats and how anyone can not see them as anything to be concerned about that.

Essentially if you have and you keep Moyes as your manager you sole aim is 17th place each and every year while binning of the Cups.

If the clubs aim is hoping Moyes keeps us up this season and then we replace him, that in it's self is a huge risk but Ok fair enough, but stay up or go down he will be here next season no matter what.

How very very depressing.

I generally would prefer fat Sam back.

Now even more depressed.

PS I Thought this was the Moyes thread and just seen it is the Pellegrini one. Feel free to move if needed.
Last edited by brothernero on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ozza wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:16 pm I wonder how many of the ones who wanted Pellers out would have him back over Moyes?
Better still, who wished they had Bilic back instead.. :idea:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

i did read a stat that Moyes hadn't won an away game against a top 8 side for pushing 30 games...IB disputed it, and i haven't checked it tbf
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

brothernero wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:52 pm Out of interest D_L what is your take on Moyes record as a manager v just these 4 teams, Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool.
Couldn't give a **** mate to be honest. I said the performance overall last night was ****. I ain't sticking up for Moyes, so not really interested what you've just pulled off Google.

What I am being is pragmatic. I kinda get it the situation we're in. Doesn't mean I like it, but then I ain't really a fan of being in the bottom 3 either.

I doubt he will be here next season even if we do stay up.
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

I thought it was fairly sensible, as we were in a near-identical situation and he scraped us out of it. You can understand the thinking - and perhaps if we'd have paid managerial compensation (lol as if...) we would have missed out on Soucek or Bowen...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Smonnie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:12 pm Is that enough time?
And less than half a season was deemed good enough to sack Pellegrini. GSBenomics.

The thing about Pellegrinis sacking though that many haven't raised the point of and that's the fact it cost the Club an absolute arm and a leg to fire him with the contract he was on, then to pay for his did replacement. If ever there was a good reason not to sack a manager because of their sizeable contract at a Club our size, it was then. As I say, GSBenomics. :phew: