Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini sacked

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

-DL- wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:55 pm Nope. It's like choosing between being tied to floor and having your balls covered in dog food and letting in a starving rottweiler, or having to go down on a 34 stone fat bird that's got a double dose of blue waffle.
:lol:
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:59 pm And less than half a season was deemed good enough to sack Pellegrini. GSBenomics.

The thing about Pellegrinis sacking though that many haven't raised the point of and that's the fact it cost the Club an absolute arm and a leg to fire him with the contract he was on, then to pay for his did replacement. If ever there was a good reason not to sack a manager because of their sizeable contract at a Club our size, it was then. As I say, GSBenomics. :phew:
What about the rest of the time he was here?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Ozza wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:50 pm The point being that when he walked back into the club, he said it was a better squad than the one he left, there is no way this squad is the third worse in the league yet we are worse now than when he joined.

So yeah half a season under a good manager is more than enough time
Well he isn't going to come out and and say "f*** me, I've inherited a squad of useless pussies" is he? I agree, this squad isn't the 3rd worse in the league and we shouldn't be where we are - but it wasn't him that laid the foundations for it, whereby come Christmas our squad had the frailty of an empty eggshell.

Maybe we're wrong, and we are the 3rd worst squad in the league - because that's what the table is currently saying - and it was the previous manager that built it.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Smonnie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 pm Pellegrini was, on paper, an aspirational appointment.

Sadly the reality of the situation was that he was the managerial equivalent of signing Patrice Evra.
I’m not sure you’re right. I think Pellers was fine last season - moving in the right direction. Like others before him he wasn’t adequately supported in his second season. I think at that point he must have realised his bosses weren’t serious and he gave up and basically waited to be sacked.

He became **** because he no longer cared. Moyes cares, of at least makes the right noises, but regardless is still **** because the footballing world has moved on since was a good manager.

Moyes in his prime at Everton wouldn’t have been fit to lace the boots of Pellers in his pomp.

Anyway this board, West Ham London and Moyes are a genuinely perfect fit. They all deserve each other.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

-DL- wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:57 pm Couldn't give a **** mate to be honest. I said the performance overall last night was ****. I ain't sticking up for Moyes, so not really interested what you've just pulled off Google.

What I am being is pragmatic. I kinda get it the situation we're in. Doesn't mean I like it, but then I ain't really a fan of being in the bottom 3 either.

I doubt he will be here next season even if we do stay up.

They were not pulled of google, they were being talked about on Sky yesterday and on the radio.

They are quite relevant in my opinion.

No one likes being in the bottom 3, but no one wants to watch their side say forget about trying to get a result v the best teams lets just try and keep the score down. Which is something Moyes has done throughout his managerial career.

Would rather be in the conference and then in the PL if that is what we have sunk to.

Again not a dig at you.

Remember when Zola threw those tricky away games in the hope we would get results at home v the lesser teams, but we then even lost those games anyway.

What Moyes is doing is just as bad.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Smonnie wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:03 pm What about the rest of the time he was here?
Pretty good actually now that you ask, considering the injuries and Arnie acting the 24 karat **** mid season in his 1st season in charge. Would have him back in a heartbeat over the Defeatist One.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

brothernero wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:09 pm What Moyes is doing is just as bad.
Yeah I agree, but I can also understand why, even though I didn't like it very much.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2367 likes

Post by Ozza »

on paper we're certainly not the third worse team in the league, however we are probably the worse club in the league.

You know my views on the owners and how they have gone about destroying this club, you also know that I've stedfast stood behind the managers at this club but I'm not there with Moyes (first one ever).

I don't see any progress, in fact it's getting worse, I'd expected some form of improvement after the pillorying that Pellers got, but no there's nothing.

Saying all of that I've also said that the manager of this club is irrelevant really with the goons in charge.

f*** it
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

-DL- wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:11 pm Yeah I agree, but I can also understand why, even though I didn't like it very much.
Guess one thing we are all United on is how ****ing depressing it all is.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Ozza wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:12 pm on paper we're certainly not the third worse team in the league, however we are probably the worse club in the league.

You know my views on the owners and how they have gone about destroying this club, you also know that I've stedfast stood behind the managers at this club but I'm not there with Moyes (first one ever).

I don't see any progress, in fact it's getting worse, I'd expected some form of improvement after the pillorying that Pellers got, but no there's nothing.

Saying all of that I've also said that the manager of this club is irrelevant really with the goons in charge.

**** it
Let's break it down a bit.

Bournemouth - lovely 4-0.

Sheff Utd - denied a draw by a crap new rule, and we conceded a cheap goal. At least 1 point dropped, and we could quite genuinely feel hard done by - 1

Everton - draw. Lost a lead, with more individual defensive errors. - 2

Leicester - Shocking - 0

Liverpool - can't really expect anything from that, and didn't get it either. was expecting a tonking, only lost 2 goals. - 0

Brighton - should have been out of sight, but individual errors (Again) cost us 2 points - 2

Man City - again, tonking expected but kept it to 2 with an awful performance - 0

So, arguably, if it wasn't for players individual mistakes and that poxy VAR & rule regarding hand ball, we could conceivably be 5 points better off than we are now.

Sort the defence and individual errors out and we will be fine - whether we can or not is a different ball game entirely. Southampton with Ings have score just 2 more goals than us all season - and that's with our attack being as toothless as a pangolin.

Results against City and Liverpool are not what's going to keep us up. The games vs Villa, Watford, Newcastle, Norwich, Burnley and Wolves - they're the ones we need to be getting something from. That's 18 points there. We need at least 12 from those to survive, plus hopefully a surprise point here or there vs Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, & Spurs. It's not looking good, but we certainly have a few metaphorical 6 pointers to come yet - and the team that wants it the most will get the points from those games - hopefully it's us. Surely even Moyes can manage that?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Absolutely correct, DL.
-DL- wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:44 pm Let's break it down a bit.

Bournemouth - lovely 4-0. (compared to 2-2 earlier in the year)

Sheff Utd - 0-1 (compared to 1-1 earlier in the year)

Everton - 1-1 (compared to 0-2 earlier in the year)

Leicester - 1-4 (compared to 1-2 earlier in the year)

Liverpool - 0-2 (no direct comparison - but they've won every game bar one)

Brighton - 3-3 (compared to 1-1 earlier in the year)

Man City - 0-2 (compared to 0-5 earlier in the year)
On balance, we certainly haven't deteriorated.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Ozza wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:16 pm I wonder how many of the ones who wanted Pellers out would have him back over Moyes?
Yes, we have 6 home games left, I’d like Pellegrini to come back and get us another 1 point from those...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

With Fabainski in goal, Antonio fit, Soucek and Bowen in the squad, Pelligrini would very likely have got us safe as we would pick up a couple of away wins, and our home form would have improved with the extra squad options and a more than competent goalkeeper

Of course it is all opinion, but i am sure we would have beaten Bournemouth under him, and picked up at least as many points that Moyes has accrued
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:09 pm
Moyes in his prime at Everton wouldn’t have been fit to lace the boots of Pellers in his pomp.

Anyway this board, West Ham London and Moyes are a genuinely perfect fit. They all deserve each other.
:thup: Like many of this thread, I would feel more confident of survival or at least a bit of fight back of a performance under Pellegrini than Moyes (Mr Respect the goal difference). But ultimately blame the owners, roll on the demo on saturday week. Meanwhile this saturday going to Brentford to see a team properly marshaled by their young manager to play attractive winning football.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

West Ham, GSB and Moyes, are the perfect storm of crapness.

Like the perfect poo that just disappears down the pan without a trace.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I think you're on to something there but reckon your **** analogy gives them all far too much credit. For me they are the collective **** bomb explosion your bottom splurts out in all directions after a suspect ruby, that clings on to all and sundry around the toilet pan, seat and arse hairs which makes them so difficult to remove in a hurry and that elusive Taxi has just arrived downstairs...

They are the pebble dashing kings and queens of shitness.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

-DL- wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 pm And one January transfer window, and having to make do with Pellergrini's duff signings with just the addition of Bowen and Randolph.
one of those duff signings was getting a goal or assist every game, putting in the hard yards and generally being one of the few on an upward trajectory.

moyes in his infinite genius has ****ed him off to the reserves.
Colours never run

Beavis Danzig wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:54 pm one of those duff signings was getting a goal or assist every game, putting in the hard yards and generally being one of the few on an upward trajectory.

moyes in his infinite genius has ****ed him off to the reserves.
He's not injured, he's actually stuck him in the Stiffs?? :shock:
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I think under Pellegrini we were in danger of going down.
Under Mr. Winalot we are definitely going down.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

BondsoBob wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:57 pm I think under Pellegrini we were in danger of going down.
Under Mr. Winalot we are definitely going down.
Pellegrini I would rate our chances as 40/60
Moyes, I would rate our chances now as 10/90

There was for a brief time rumours that they were looking at Tony Pulis.

Even under him I think we would have stood a much better chance than Moyes. Football almost but not quite as poor as well.