✍️ Lukasz Fabianski signs

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Re: Lukasz Fabianski signs

Post by funky chicken »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:58 am You might have. I don't.
No problem, that’s your opinion. :newthumb: I personally find it incredible that you don’t think there’s 1 single goal we’ve conceded this season you believe he couldn’t have done better. But we’re all entitled to our own opinions.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

SiamHammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:05 am Both Palace goals were Dawson's fault imo, or actually Moyes' fault for not playing Zouma in that match
Wasn’t Zouma either signed too late to play in that game, or on compassionate leave?
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1076 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:12 am Wasn’t Zouma either signed too late to play in that game, or on compassionate leave?
You might be right there, in any case both goals were Dawsons fault
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Thing is with conceding goals is that you can often pick out pretty much anyone to blame for them, depending on how you're feeling on the day.

Antonio loses the ball in the opposition penalty box and they break, let's say Lanzini gets brushed aside, Soucek misses a tackle, ball goes to the right wing and Cresswell doesn't get close enough to stop the cross coming in, it drifts over everyone in the box but at the far post the opposition left winger gets on the end of it and converts with Coufal nowhere near them and the ball goes past Fabianski between him and the post.

Six players possible to blame for the goal happening.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

I suppose the clean sheets we have had this season are down to the defence, and not Fab?
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am Thing is with conceding goals is that you can often pick out pretty much anyone to blame for them, depending on how you're feeling on the day.

Antonio loses the ball in the opposition penalty box and they break, let's say Lanzini gets brushed aside, Soucek misses a tackle, ball goes to the right wing and Cresswell doesn't get close enough to stop the cross coming in, it drifts over everyone in the box but at the far post the opposition left winger gets on the end of it and converts with Coufal nowhere near them and the ball goes past Fabianski between him and the post.

True. Someone tried to do a thread last season apportioning blame for every goal we conceded, that showed how easy it is to point fingers at multiple players for most goals and still have a clear agenda against certain long-serving, Liverpudlian, left backs shine through very clearly at the same time.

Having agreed with that I'm still going to bang my Areola drum (ooo er missus). I've just got a feeling we're overlooking a slight slowing down from Fabianski due to the fact he doesn't make obvious mistakes and can still pull out some top drawer saves.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am Thing is with conceding goals is that you can often pick out pretty much anyone to blame for them, depending on how you're feeling on the day.

or just blame Masuaku!
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

What is the fascination with having to blame somebody for every goal conceded? If no 'mistakes' were ever made, all games would finish 0-0.

Fabianski is a splendid keeper who continues to serve us brilliantly. Yes, I'm sure he could of done better on a few goals he may have conceded this season but then he's also bailed us out with some goalkeeping that has been simply outstanding.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Isn’t the phrase that pretty much every goal a defensive error somewhere? I think sometimes you can say people could have done a bit better but not blame them (as can be levelled at Areola for the first goal away to Genk).

I think a little bit of what is happening around the Fabianski discussion is that Areola looks a pretty decent keeper and arguably around the same level as Fab but 8 years younger. As a result I think there is a medium term view that starting Areola would convince him to join and therefore sort out our goalkeeper for the next 6/7 years possibly….versus the risk of Areola not wanting to join and we go out and get an inferior keeper who becomes our starter as soon as Fabianski does drop off (not being judgemental - but due to age he will).

I think they each have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of current ability.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

Spot on last post.I would say that they are on par or a little bit in Areolas favour but l can't see him signing for west ham in the summer to warm the bench.He is good enough for a bigger club than where we will be come the end of the season.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

billtho wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:58 pm Spot on last post.I would say that they are on par or a little bit in Areolas favour but l can't see him signing for west ham in the summer to warm the bench.He is good enough for a bigger club than where we will be come the end of the season.
Oh Mystic Bill, please tell me where we will finish the season. :lol:
billtho

Post by billtho »

7th at best but probably 8th..okay
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

billtho wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 pm 7th at best but probably 8th..okay
So Areola, who last played for relegated Fulham, is too good to play for us if we finish 7th? :eh:
billtho

Post by billtho »

we finish 7th or 8th and we ask him to sit on on the bench..dream on ...with PSG getting rid of their second keeper this summer he might as well sit on their bench .
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Aerola has to be kept.He is a top keeper and alot younger than Fabianski. I personally would like to see reversed roles next season.
billtho

Post by billtho »

Not everyone obviously..even though we finished 6th last season Fulham were relegated with just 6 more goals against than us.
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

Got to say I have never rated Fabianski that highly. There's a reason he is called Flappianski.

I know our defence is awful but his clean sheet record over the years is awful
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

I mean, I keep reading he kept us in games and makes world class saves etc.

He has played 118 league games for West Ham and kept 27 clean sheets.

That's a poor return.

Again, awful defence. Can't blame him for that but I never expect a clean sheet from us and haven't done for years.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Outside of the teams above us who has a better keeper? Lloris? No. De gea no. pickford no. Martinez, no. , Keeper at Brighton, Palace, Newcastle, Southampton, watford, burnley, norwich,leeds? Areola looks promising but how come he's on loan to fulham last season and us this season if he's world class? Maybe we'll sign him as our No1 for next season but we're not there yet
Bristoliron338
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Bristoliron338 »

Fabianski is finished at this level. We should give him 1 last year as a courtesy