Fallout 76

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Re: Fallout 76

Post by V-M »

I got this yesterday as part of a bundle deal with RDR2 and a shiny new Xbox One X.

Am I right in thinking its best to leave Fallout alone and play RDR first and hope they get the bugs sorted?

Shame as Ive always loved the Fallout series.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Horses for courses. I haven't picked up RDR since Fallout arrived. The latter may well be less-than-fully-developed at this stage, but somehow I find it a whole lot more enjoyable to play. (And RDR has plenty of bugs too.)

I should stress however that I am probably in the minority on this...
V-M

Post by V-M »

Bumping this up - whats the latest UTJ? Still good or not so?

I literally walked out of the bunker, killed a couple of Chinese robots then put the game down due to so many negative reviews (giving the devs a chance to patch things).

Worth picking up again?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

V-M wrote:Bumping this up - whats the latest UTJ? Still good or not so?
They've patched it several times but on each occasion it's been a case of one step forward and two steps back. Beth have been taking a right panning on their Forum (which for some reason appears to be unavailable at time of writing).

I've pretty much exhausted everything that could be done with the available content so I'm done with it for now - at least until such time as they add new content. I enjoyed my time with it; make your own decision, there seems to be a lot of bandwagon-jumping going on from people who just want to stick the knife in.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Cheers for the honest input. You seemed to be carrying the flag for this game, to hear that you have now turned your back on it is a sad day (not saying you didn't get something out of it).

Fallout 3 & 4 remain the best games I've ever played. Even on completion I couldn't stay away.

Why try and fix something that isn't broken?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

V-M wrote:Cheers for the honest input. You seemed to be carrying the flag for this game, to hear that you have now turned your back on it is a sad day (not saying you didn't get something out of it).
I had more than 100 hours out of it - so no complaints.

Situ is very reminiscent of No Man's Sky - game was launched too early, patches/additional content will improve it but for too many the ship has sailed. Like NMS, that will be their loss.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Up the Junction wrote: game was launched too early, patches/additional content will improve it but for too many the ship has sailed. Like NMS, that will be their loss.
Thats always been the case with Fallout, remember Vegas was awful when first released. I think people were happy to let it ride, knowing that eventually they would end up with a decent end product.

Now that they changed the whole mechanics of the game I think they needed to get this one right from the start.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

The difference between 76 and Vegas et al is that ALL the previous Fallout tiles have been heavily moddable.

For 76, being entirely online, that's not quite so easy - hence Beth can't rely on the user base to dig them out of a hole this time.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I came to this game late and am frankly still trying to get into it.

Personally, I think they've over-reached themselves, with some of the detail of the game

It seems great to start such a wide sandbox of a game, until you realise that early missions are spaced apart. On one occasion, it took ten minutes, give or take, to walk from one part of the mountains to another.

I went through a glut of weapons, to begin with, but am now reduced to a single shooter, having had others broken, or the ammo for the ones I still have being so rare.

I haven't got the hang of the repairing idea, either.

But the most irritating thing I find is in fact other players. This is making me think that the whole idea of the game is being lost on me.

In summary, I seem to play it for an hour and get barely anywhere. The food/water thing makes sense, but I never seem to collect and store enough to do anything with, before being attacked and needing to eat it all, uncooked.

It looks great, I have to say, but the actual gameplay is more than a little boring.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

prophet:marginal wrote:In summary, I seem to play it for an hour and get barely anywhere. The food/water thing makes sense, but I never seem to collect and store enough to do anything with, before being attacked and needing to eat it all, uncooked.
You should never really run out of food.

Are you using any related perks? There are perks that ensure food fills more of your hunger bar, perks that preserve cooked food for longer and many more related to provisions/drugs.

Not quite sure why you're eating it uncooked - there are no shortage of cooking stations dotted all over the map. Do you have one in your camp, proph?

I played it again after posting.

I'm getting to grips with the enormity of the game, as a whole, at the same time as trying the missions too quickly. I noticed some things that justified a more patient approach.

As I've said earlier; I love gaming - and have since cutting my teeth in Southend in the 1980s - and still to this day consider Fallout 4 to be my favourite ever.

So, I've stumbled to level 12, or thereabouts, and will hunker down and take my time. The scenery is one thing. It's such a deep game.

Clue me in to where you left the explosive bait, for a wild animal, boss... I just keep running into scorched and ferals...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Melee is the only weapon/method of attack that hasn't been nerfed. I run with a sniper rifle, a double shot sawn-off (also nerfed in a recent patch) and a ski sword or a modded sledgehammer for melee fights. Don't forget to upgrade your gear whenever possible (think you can upgrade at levels 5, 15 ,25 and so on).

A lot happens at L25 as you can get your first set of power armour (which makes a lot of difference). What platform are you on Proph? I've not played for a while now but would happily jump in to run around with you for a bit. I'm on PS4.

Its an interesting offer, but I am still so utterly rubbish at the game that I can see no point making any contact with other players. For instance, I have this week (where I am not working) played it a few times, an hour or more at a time. I have still not managed to obtain anything other than about a dozen bullets for any given gun and it's a law of diminishing returns, where I am trying to progress on missions, only to die nearly every time I come across more than two enemies at once.

What I think I need to do is to simply forage enough bullets and other useful commodities for about a week's worth of gaming before bothering with any missions at all. Most of the enemies seem to be almost totally unaffected by the weapons that I have so far found.

It is what appears to be a brilliantly made and thought out game, where they aren't just playing lip service to poisoning, hunger etc, but I just don't seem to realistically be getting anywhere.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

It'll click mate. FWIW Beth have (finally!) announced a load of new content for 2019.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/fa ... 203146598/
V-M

Post by V-M »

Looks like I did the right thing by putting this down for a while. Was only an hour in but I'll restart from scratch when the changes are made.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Popped this back in the PS this week, storage capacity has been increased from 600 to 800lbs.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Finally gone back to this and I am pleased I did.

Not done much yet apart from a few early quests, a couple of events and build a small camp. Leveled up to 6 with my next mission to go to the airport.

Card perk system seems a bit complicated but I'm sure I'll get it in the end!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

New content also released this week. One may now brew and ferment alcohol!

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CIZ-LGaRB6M" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

On 2 occasions I made two quite ridiculous discoveries - the truth of which I am somewhat embarrassed to detail - that made the game a lot more enjoyable, but I am still stuck up around level 25/26, because I am tasked to obtain a fragment of a key from Wendigo Caves, without having any kind of weapon that's going to take down all the beasts inside it!

I am however really quite happy mooching around, basically.

Personally consider it to be a beautifully detailed game.
V-M

Post by V-M »

Did another hour on this tonight, didnt take on any quests but simply did a bit of hunter/gatherer and improved my camp with an upstairs, some sentry bots and pictures on the wall.

Im really starting to like this game and it seems as though you dont need to engage with other players online if you dont want to.