Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

January spending falls for first time since 2012
Premier League January spending fell for the first time since 2012 with a quiet deadline day capping off a relatively low-spending window.

Deadline-day and January spending were less than half of last year's totals, with 12 deals on 31 January totalling £50m - bringing the month's spending to £180m, according to figures from the Sports Business Group at Deloitte.

January 2018 saw £430m spent by Premier League clubs, with £150m on deadline day alone.

However, the Premier League was still the highest-spending league in European football in the most recent window, outstripping Italy's Serie A by around £140m.
Let's sapre a thought for the forgotten men in this financial disaster, the poor agents. With such little spending, how will they afford diamond encrusted gold Rolexes, tasteful sovereign rings and cigars the size of rolling pins.

My heart bleeds for them.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

johnnyb wrote:We've been writing most seasons off in January ever since I was a little boy and that was a long time ago. Will never change.
Too true. I hear this every season.

We talk as if this type of season is unusual, and we normally challenge for titles or European spots ;)
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I'm a firm believer that we do not need long term fixes to short term problems or short term fixes to long term problems.

We need more in the mould of Balbuena, Anderson, Diop, Rice, Fabianski... long term solutions to what were long term problems.

Another half a dozen like that again in the summer and we'll be closer to a team that is more in the Manuel mould.

At the moment we are surviving on many of the players that underperformed last season. Most of the options in January were very much short term fixes to long term problems or visa versa... neither would have been beneficial long term
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

westlondonhammer wrote:I'm a firm believer that we do not need long term fixes to short term problems or short term fixes to long term problems.

We need more in the mould of Balbuena, Anderson, Diop, Rice, Fabianski... long term solutions to what were long term problems.

Another half a dozen like that again in the summer and we'll be closer to a team that is more in the Manuel mould.

At the moment we are surviving on many of the players that underperformed last season. Most of the options in January were very much short term fixes to long term problems or visa versa... neither would have been beneficial long term
100%
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

westlondonhammer

:thup:

When the outrage has subsided most will see it this way
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

westlondonhammer wrote:I'm a firm believer that we do not need long term fixes to short term problems or short term fixes to long term problems.

Absolutely bang on, said similar last night.

:thup:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Why not get 2 in January and 4 in the summer? Buying another 6 in the summer will leave us with yet another summer of squad overhaul leaving us in a position again at the start of next season trying to mould the new players into the old and starting the season slowly yet again.

I personally think we should have signed Maxi Gomez and another CB in January and given them time to bed in ready for next season. Both players would be both short and longer term fixes to problem areas now (only 2 fit centre backs currently and no strikers that actually want to be at the club) and improve the squad in the longer term too.
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

not sure if anyone has expressed the incredulity that i felt when i read that Batshit was demanding 170k per week for his service. WTF has he done in the past couple of years to warrant that ? His stock his on the slide, footballers huh ?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

It's difficult to tell until we get there in the summer, but I'd like to think that a lot of the groundwork we've put in as a Club for Gomez this window means we finally get our man, which will be worth the wait.
Last edited by Colours never run on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Dead_Ball
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by The_Dead_Ball »

On reflection..

Though there been little, we do have a excellent midfielder in Nasri (Free) and another youngster (Free). Nasri already showing what he is about and there's no lost on the youngster.

No Sully's last minutes South American specials!

Did Pellegrini had plans to sign players this month? Or the ones he wanted wasn't available, so why settle for second best?

Also is the club still working on the Maxi Gomez transfer? Why would they stop just the Window is closed?

The drop in transfers in this Windows. Are clubs more clued up that players are over priced in this window and can be cheaper in the Summer?
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

hammerleroy wrote: As I said a few days ago it is clearly a case of "31 points in January syndrome" and apparently being safe too early.
I think we will reap the benefits of this in the summer though. How often has vital summer funds been spunked on obscene loan fees/wages and desperate "he'll do" purchases because we were desperate.

I'm looking forward to the summer. :scarfer:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote:Why not get 2 in January and 4 in the summer? Buying another 6 in the summer will leave us with yet another summer of squad overhaul leaving us in a position again at the start of next season trying to mould the new players into the old and starting the season slowly yet again.

I personally think we should have signed Maxi Gomez and another CB in January and given them time to bed in ready for next season. Both players would be both short and longer term fixes to problem areas now (only 2 fit centre backs currently and no strikers that actually want to be at the club) and improve the squad in the longer term too.
Firstly, in my view the bedding in period this season wasn't because we bought in a lot of players at one time... it was more to do with the players here needing to learn how to adapt to Manuel while we did that. it was a combination of both dynamics and maybe even more... I don't actually think bringing a lot in at any one time is a problem.

Secondly, your focus by bringing in new players would have been long term fixes to short term problems without selling players. Do we freeze out the current strikers and drop 500k in the bin every week because we've lumped 45 million on Maxi Gomez and need to bed him in? Do we then drop the CB in 3 weeks when Balbuena is back?

The misconception that having lots of players = great competition for me is often wrong. Man City literally have 2 strikers... they don't feel the need for 5 (with 3 sitting around gathering dust) just in case and they fight on all fronts.

Yes, I did think some upgrades would be good, however we needed to clear out before doing this. We couldn't clear out... therefore we are where we are.

I'd rather see some kids bedded in between now and the end of the season if some players continue to underperform. Coventry for Obiang... Paske for Ogbonna... Silva for Perez... Short term, it isn't a risk to test kids out if it turns into a long term benefit if we see they can step up.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

As others have said I am not surprised we didn't do much; Pellegrini is not going to accept some half-baked journeyman as a short term solution to CB or midfield. He will work out what he can achieve with this current group and go after a proper target and rebuild in summer.

I am praying that we will activate Gomez' release clause and get the deal tied up in advance of summer but I fear it was another one of Sullivans little games.

It's always disappointing to not see investment but realistically who could we have got in on a long term basis to replace the likes of Obiang, Ogbonna, Carroll, Hernandez, Masuaku, Adrian, Perez etc ??
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

So, when is it time to change the thread to the Feb Free Transfer Window? I believe we are still entitled to sign frees in Feb (Evra last year). I'm not sure if we can add any more foreign players or if we can remove an injured player from the squad who's out for a while (Sanchez, Yarmo)

Here's the free list anyway:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... osespieler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

stammer wrote:not sure if anyone has expressed the incredulity that i felt when i read that Batshit was demanding 170k per week for his service. WTF has he done in the past couple of years to warrant that ? His stock his on the slide, footballers huh ?
I don't understand this. Surely he can't demand anything? His contract is with Chelsea so if we agreed a deal with them then it would have been agreed who pays what proportion of his wages. If he's on £170k a week at Chelsea then it's not his problem if they want to loan him out, it's up to them to agree the loan team pays 100% of his wage.

If they refuse to pay any, then it's them demanding 100% of his wage is covered, not him demanding 170k a week?
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

Highlight for me last night was the pure desperation of the presenters on Sky Sports News as they went to simulcast with NBC with absolutely nothing to talk about.

Felt like another indicator that the Premier League hype train might be running out of steam.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Can we pick up 'Big Presence' Yaya for 5 months with an option?

:scarfer:
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

McKnightmare wrote:Highlight for me last night was the pure desperation of the presenters on Sky Sports News as they went to simulcast with NBC with absolutely nothing to talk about.

Felt like another indicator that the Premier League hype train might be running out of steam.
Felt exactly the same way. Was cringeworthy the way Jim White and co were trying to make something out of nothing, with correspondents standing outside numerous stadia with the lights off. They can ditch their yellow ties and belts from now on. As you say, hopefully this is one of the first nails in the coffin for the EPL gravy train!
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Loving the "Done Deals" thread. Shortest ever?
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Briggsy wrote:So, when is it time to change the thread to the Feb Free Transfer Window? I believe we are still entitled to sign frees in Feb (Evra last year). I'm not sure if we can add any more foreign players or if we can remove an injured player from the squad who's out for a while (Sanchez, Yarmo)

Here's the free list anyway:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... osespieler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GUM - maybe signing him at CB will strengthen our defence?