Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by Vic_Watson »

"I am not frustrated because all the names came from the media. The only player we were interested in was Gary Medel because we were told he was free, but he was not free."

So said Pellers today. In other word all the rest were BS. Surprise?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Briggsy wrote:So, when is it time to change the thread to the Feb Free Transfer Window? I believe we are still entitled to sign frees in Feb (Evra last year). I'm not sure if we can add any more foreign players or if we can remove an injured player from the squad who's out for a while (Sanchez, Yarmo)

Here's the free list anyway:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... osespieler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
we may finally get darren bent...
stammer
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by stammer »

stammer wrote:not sure if anyone has expressed the incredulity that i felt when i read that Batshit was demanding 170k per week for his service. WTF has he done in the past couple of years to warrant that ? His stock his on the slide, footballers huh ?
DannyboyDJL wrote:I don't understand this. Surely he can't demand anything? His contract is with Chelsea so if we agreed a deal with them then it would have been agreed who pays what proportion of his wages. If he's on £170k a week at Chelsea then it's not his problem if they want to loan him out, it's up to them to agree the loan team pays 100% of his wage.

If they refuse to pay any, then it's them demanding 100% of his wage is covered, not him demanding 170k a week?
I don't know the precise contract law but he is contracted to play for Chelsea for £xm per yr, if they want to loan him out he has to agree with that being a deviation from the existing contract he can put whatever stipulations he wants. If we agreed with Chelsea that we cover his wages or 90% or whatever, I don't believe that he is not within his rights to ask for more, questionable whether he deserves it of course.
But he get his Chelsea base £ whatever happens within the contract periods, Bats is thinking what is in it for mssr Bats as he invariably will talk about himself in the 3rd person, he wants a premium on top for "inconvenience" or some other nonsense.
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

Briggsy wrote:So, when is it time to change the thread to the Feb Free Transfer Window? I believe we are still entitled to sign frees in Feb (Evra last year). I'm not sure if we can add any more foreign players or if we can remove an injured player from the squad who's out for a while (Sanchez, Yarmo)

Here's the free list anyway:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... osespieler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
uptonparkhurst wrote: GUM - maybe signing him at CB will strengthen our defence?
Certainly may help them stick together..... :clap:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I wonder if the January window will soon be scrapped? All it seems to do is cause problems. Less interest than previous windows. Less money is being spent. More FFP-dodging deals being made. Sky, and Jim White, were clutching at straws more than ever this year.

Get rid.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

The reason we haven't signed anyone else? - is that there's no money.
(There never is - unless we are in dire danger of relegation).
I think it was TPP who said that G&S run the club "out of the till".
Expect one or two "marquee" signings in the summer, plus the odd punt on players who are either
ageing, injury prone, inconsistent or a bit unstable in the noggin department.
You know the formula by now.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

woodford wrote:looks like Fulham are really going to turn the corner, check this out
https://www.football365.com/news/fulham ... -nordtveit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cant work out if this was written tongue in cheek or whether this bloke is on crack
MUST have been written by the person who agreed the deal..
F**king 'ell, that's a scary picture...
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Vic_Watson wrote:"I am not frustrated because all the names came from the media. The only player we were interested in was Gary Medel because we were told he was free, but he was not free."

No Vic, no surprise at all. Sometimes i'm sure that a good portion of the rumours actually start in here. Maybe its the way the media work now? Browse fan forums, see who they want or really dont want, then wind up the gullible by using it as a legit story. Then other outlets take it one step further otherwise the first outlet gets the "exclusive insider info". We see things like "close", "flying over" or "snub" and it adds gives credibility apparently.

And as we know, various twitter 'in the know' attention seekers hedge their bets for fear of appearing to know absolutely **** all, thereby rendering them useless. ( not referring to anyone on here )

In fairness, they know full well, football fans go 0-60 in about half a second and take a random rumour as gospel.

Think of all the pointless words and clicks in regards to transfers this window, then balance it against the minimal amount of deals actually done.

Jim White gets singled out on here. All he does is condense a months worth of bull**** into his nail-biting grand finale. He's an odious twat but he'll be throwing bait out there as long as the public keep biting. Lets be honest, football supporters tend to fall for the trick more often than Wylie Coyote from Roadrunner. In our case more in hope than expectation.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Pogba is available on a free - go and get him Daves!
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst »

There's also Emenike, and Traore (who iirc we tried to sign, but he snubbed us for Everton, where he was
pants).
What's Evra doing these days? :P
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Vic_Watson wrote:..........................

we were told he was free, but he was not free."

300 pages summed up in one phrase.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Vic_Watson wrote:"I am not frustrated because all the names came from the media. The only player we were interested in was Gary Medel because we were told he was free, but he was not free."

Surprised that we were only interested if he was free? Not in the slightest. Razzle dazzle
uptonparkhurst

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Vic_Watson wrote:..........................

we were told he was free, but he was not free."

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: 300 pages summed up in one phrase.
Sums up every Jan window since Benni McGutney, doesn't it? :)
Julien Snow Bear
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Julien Snow Bear »

jhammers wrote:[Surprised that we were only interested if he was free? Not in the slightest. Razzle dazzle
But if we'd spent £6M on a 31 yr old, half the posters in this thread would be grumbling about wasting money. Or pushing Rice out and not buying a LB :eh:

If he was available on a free then you can see why it would have made sense given Sanchez and Wilshere's injuries and Obiang's restlessness. But was he worth any further investment? Not for me...
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Knighter10WHU wrote:
Why not get 2 in January and 4 in the summer? Buying another 6 in the summer will leave us with yet another summer of squad overhaul leaving us in a position again at the start of next season trying to mould the new players into the old and starting the season slowly yet again.

I personally think we should have signed Maxi Gomez and another CB in January and given them time to bed in ready for next season. Both players would be both short and longer term fixes to problem areas now (only 2 fit centre backs currently and no strikers that actually want to be at the club) and improve the squad in the longer term too.
Agree.

In any case, Sullivan's MO when dealing with a manager's first transfer window and subsequent windows is well established. No one should be fooling themselves that he will be providing the level of funding required in the summer.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Can we just promise each other yesterday was the last time that West Ham United were ever linked with Batshuayi ( spl ) and Tammy Abraham .. Please
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

I’m surprised that some of you lot let yourself believe that anything was different! Same well worn routine trotted out...

I might have pointed out a few times over the years about the new managers first window and subsequent windows (rinse and repeat)

To be fair though they did say through their media mouthpiece before the window opened that there was no cash
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm gonna miss the lists.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

uptonparkhurst wrote:What's Evra doing these days? :P
I'm hearing rumours of fowl play.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I don't doubt he's not frustrated, but I do think Pellegrini's being a touch disingenuous in front of the media if all he's saying is Medel was the only player he was interested in, because we know there was a delegation speaking seriously with Valencia regarding Gomez. It's nothing to worry about as managers occasionally tell harmless little white lies but I'm not buying we were only interested in 1 player, especially after bringing 2 in the window.