Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by goa127 »

every rumour on sky is on here first. I just take no notice any more. I work with a Chelsea fan (from back when they were crap) and he said they have been linked with players from all over Europe lately. There's no real stories so they invent them.
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

DannyboyDJL wrote:I don't understand this. Surely he can't demand anything? His contract is with Chelsea so if we agreed a deal with them then it would have been agreed who pays what proportion of his wages. If he's on £170k a week at Chelsea then it's not his problem if they want to loan him out, it's up to them to agree the loan team pays 100% of his wage.

If they refuse to pay any, then it's them demanding 100% of his wage is covered, not him demanding 170k a week?
In response to the Batshuayi wage demand rumours. I too was surprised to learn he might be on as much as £170k a week. However, i remember reading an article, below, earlier in the transfer window which confirmed that players can earn above and beyond their parent team contracts.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... fer-window
Guardian wrote:It may be surprising to learn that some players not only get their wages covered in full by the club they are joining but also receive a substantial sum on top. In fact, the complaints of one Premier League player about all the time he had spent on loan earlier in his career raised a few eyebrows within his former club, given that at one stage he was happily picking up an additional five-figure sum every week, on top of his basic wage, for playing in the Championship.
Given that £170k a week over 6 months equals close to £4m plus whatever the loan fee might have been, I'm pleased we haven't wasted upwards of £5m on a player who isn't ours, with no guarantee he'd be ours come the summer either.

As commented elsewhere throughout this thread and previous windows, we need to move away from costly short term loans like Zaza, Tore, Calleri who between them have probably cost us between £10-£15m in loan fees and wages with little to no impact made in the process.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

CNR you're assuming that Pellers wants Gomez and was driving the deal, our owner has plenty of previous in regard to going and getting a player that the manager has no interest in
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

I think Pellegrini meant he was the only player he wanted to add to the squad - The others,imo, were all about replacing Arnie if he left and even then he probably realised that Sulli's Fax or Jnr's crayons would fail at the last minute!!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ozza wrote:CNR you're assuming that Pellers wants Gomez and was driving the deal, our owner has plenty of previous in regard to going and getting a player that the manager has no interest in
I think it's a fair assumption to make, considering the quality and the cost of the player. If it was a Sully Special, it would be a low ball figure player he fancies taking a football manager punt on. The money talked about, it would have Pellegrinis stamp of approval all over it.

And I actually like the fact he downplays a lot of the speculation so he can either get a better deal or steals a march on his fellow competitors in the market. "Gomez? Mmm naw, we are not so interested. Just Medel..." *Texts Valencia manager-we still on for the summer, senor?*
Patito

Post by Patito »

The Celta Vigo gaffer?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

And him! :D
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Colours never run wrote: I think it's a fair assumption to make, considering the quality and the cost of the player. If it was a Sully Special, it would be a low ball figure player he fancies taking a football manager punt on. The money talked about, it would have Pellegrinis stamp of approval all over it.

And I actually like the fact he downplays a lot of the speculation so he can either get a better deal or steals a march on his fellow competitors in the market. "Gomez? Mmm naw, we are not so interested. Just Medel..." *Texts Valencia manager-we still on for the summer, senor?*
Chasing a trendy name, big money striker that doesn't want to be here and whose club doesn't want to sell him to us, and coming up short is the most "Sullivan" move ever. Before this summer, he did that every summer for close to a decade.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Correct :thup:

The old R.D two step
Colours never run

Not the managers? And even if that was the case, every single time, they'd still have to clear it with the managers. The impression I get, coupled with the style of play Pellegrini wants to play, Gomez strikes me as a Pellegrini target. But I could well be wrong.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I’m less disappointed with who we didn’t sign as I am in who we didn’t move on (and as a result need to replace them).

I don’t believe Perez, Hernandez, Obiang and Masuaku really want to be here - and have played like it in January. Zabaleta’s comments have been taken as a dig at Arnie, wouldn’t surprise me if it’s wider than that and there are a few he was including in his comments. Pellegrini has his work cut out getting them all focused back post the window.

We’ve got an awful lot to do in the summer with regards to the squad imo.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Briggsy wrote:So, when is it time to change the thread to the Feb Free Transfer Window? I believe we are still entitled to sign frees in Feb (Evra last year). I'm not sure if we can add any more foreign players or if we can remove an injured player from the squad who's out for a while (Sanchez, Yarmo)

Here's the free list anyway:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... osespieler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Berbatov is free, sign him up!

(He’ll give Arnie some competition for the “first choice sulker” in the squad).
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

I am honestly okay with us not making anymore stop gap signings in January. Sullivan always brought in players when there was a “good deal” rather than actually debating if players were good fits for the club in the long term. I think Husillos and Pellegrini truly think long term and who will best fit in the squad and matches the style of play they are looking to have us play. We need to shift a lot of dead wood on high wages this summer, and focus on younger players who fit into the style of play and wage structure.

These are the types of players we should be looking at:

Amadou Diawara (21) or Ibrahim Sangare (21) (DM): young, probably low wages.

Maxi Gomez (22) (ST): young, mid-range wages.

Kieran Tierney (21) (LB) - young, likely higher wages but worth it.

Harold Moukoudi (21) (CB) - young, low wages.

Not saying any of these will happen, but the types of players I would target. Throw in a couple Husillos Balbuena-Esque specials and that would be a terrific summer window.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Ozza wrote:CNR you're assuming that Pellers wants Gomez and was driving the deal, our owner has plenty of previous in regard to going and getting a player that the manager has no interest in
Surely Pelligrini would walk if that happened under breach of contract?

Being given full control of transfers by Sullivan was his main condition for coming here in the first place and DS agreed to it!

https://www.besoccer.com/new/pellegrini ... ers-473824
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

just trhink we can do it all again in 6 months …. until then we are stuck with a lot of poor uninterested but well paid players. how pelle manages the deadwood will shape how we finish the season.
one or two dodgy players and he could do it but we have so many

useless/uninterested - perez Hernandez obiang ogbonna masuaka carroll
sulking - arnie

so 7 players that he needs to motivate and get playing . I fear it will be too much
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

You’re all probably correct I just don’t trust that weasely lying scum bag at the top, it’s not like he hasn’t got form.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

lets hope we never look at batman again he had his chances nowlets move on to better, we already have enough players not wanting to be here with egos bigger than their salaries, we will do well to get 10 mil in the summer for carroll chico perez and Arthur, hopefully man city don't start coming after rice, others for diop and Anderson, then sulli giving it the offer was too good to turn down we have money now to reinvest crap
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Barney Ronay in The Grauniad. Think he underestimates the knowledge and judgement of many clubs and managers, but many other remarks are about right.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... rney-ronay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

January window a waste of time?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Nice piece.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

westlondonhammer wrote:
Firstly, in my view the bedding in period this season wasn't because we bought in a lot of players at one time... it was more to do with the players here needing to learn how to adapt to Manuel while we did that. it was a combination of both dynamics and maybe even more... I don't actually think bringing a lot in at any one time is a problem.

Secondly, your focus by bringing in new players would have been long term fixes to short term problems without selling players. Do we freeze out the current strikers and drop 500k in the bin every week because we've lumped 45 million on Maxi Gomez and need to bed him in? Do we then drop the CB in 3 weeks when Balbuena is back?

The misconception that having lots of players = great competition for me is often wrong. Man City literally have 2 strikers... they don't feel the need for 5 (with 3 sitting around gathering dust) just in case and they fight on all fronts.

Yes, I did think some upgrades would be good, however we needed to clear out before doing this. We couldn't clear out... therefore we are where we are.

I'd rather see some kids bedded in between now and the end of the season if some players continue to underperform. Coventry for Obiang... Paske for Ogbonna... Silva for Perez... Short term, it isn't a risk to test kids out if it turns into a long term benefit if we see they can step up.
Can’t argue with much of this to be honest, I wouldn’t personally want loads of players coming in and out in the summer. I’m not sure I’d want to see the kids coming in just yet, if they were good enough they would be getting the chances already.

Still would’ve liked to see a CB come in as we are short in that area. Hernandez/Perez out for a striker would have been good but clearly nobody wants to give them the astronomical wages we are paying. I worry that similar will happen with Arnie in the summer.