Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by My_Sobriquet »

hammerman11 wrote:I think we will struggle for form for the rest of the season. I am surprised we didn't get in another CB and DM for cover .

The summer window is going to have to be big and fast.

I wont do another list but suffice to say we need a lot.

I hope carroll perez Hernandez obiang masuaka ogbonna oxford all leave the club as they offer very little.
arnie is likely to be off and I doubt zaba will stick around for another season at the circus

so a lot to do. GSB need to spend large again.
:lol:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Never change, hammerman11. :)
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

hahaha that's him not doing a list!
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Up the Junction wrote:
Relive 2010's finest here - at least we can't argue that the quality of close-but-no-cigar centre forwards has vastly improved!

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=122527
With one notable exception (!)
fjthegrey wrote:Behrami and £4 mil for Cavani????

I'd go for that.
http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p2602682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

What even is KUMB without a hammerman11 list!? :D
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

Lacina Traore is a free agent...

Destiny?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

The most remarkable thing about us is that we've needed a new, solid, defensive midfielder since the end of Slav's first season - and it's been obvious. The moment we lost Song in 15/16, our defense went to pot and since then we have never replaced him with a player of similar playing style, ability, or quality.

I'm not too bothered about not signing anybody in January, and never am - I think it's a pointless window and shouldn't exist. But our repeated failure, at all levels, to identify where our problem is when it feels obvious to me watching us over the least three seasons, is shocking.

Watching Carvalho for Betis this season, I can't help but feel we might be a very different team had we signed him in the summer 2017 instead of piddling around with derisory bids.
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

Ben wrote:hahaha that's him not doing a list!
"Without swearing, it's **** or bust." Paul Sykes
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

batshuyai wanted £170k a week

Chill would have wanted £100k+

Waste of money really and we are reportedly at our wage limit now, the players who we are looking to ship out in the summer frees up £500k in wages a week

Anderson will end up getting sold in the summer as well for big money
Patito

Post by Patito »

Prob wrote: Anderson will end up getting sold in the summer as well for big money
I don't think he will.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I think Anderson needs at least one more season with us before any of the big boys come calling.
Ideally a call up to the Brazil squad too.

Lanzini was just starting to get serious attention after a few steady seasons found him a regular in the Argentina set up. Would have been interesting had he played and performed well at the world cup... Liverpool may have come knocking with some serious money.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Hahaha Lacina Traore, I wonder what he’s up to now. Probably playing basketball, wasn’t he about 7ft tall? BFS used to have sordid dreams about him, I’m sure.

Michy Batshuayi is this yesr’s Ivan Ramis / Eider Gudjonsson. :D
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

claretchris wrote:The key question for me is did Pellegrini stand firm on not taking players he didn't want or did S&G fail to come up with the goods?
I’d like to think the former. Didn’t want another Hugill debacle. I think we dodged a bullet with Batshuayi, what has he done to warrant £150k wages? My Mum could score goals for Chelsea with all the superb offensive support they have. Gomez is another Chico, not sure he’d work. Hopefully we’ll get rid of 5 or 6 players which will give Pelle close to £150m (including TV money) to spend in the summer. More players on the market and less knee jerk dildo choices. I have faith in Pelle & Husillos to deliver. Write this season off, it’s been an injury nightmare. BE POSITIVE!
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:I'm not surprised we didn't bring anyone in. And nor do i think it was needed (in regards to the context of our season).

We aren't in any cups, and we aren't going to make Europe. Nor are we in any danger of getting relegated.

Since there isnt value in Jan, better to hold off.

I think its telling that the overall spend in Jan for PL has really dropped off, when compared to last year.
I agree with all of this. very little quality available.

tielemans I think will turn out to be a be good value for leicester, but it's not an area where we needed to spend money.

other than him, I don't see anyone we've missed that would have improved our first team.

sure there were some over-priced average players who would have plugged a gap in the short term, but we would only be adding to the deadwood that we need to shift soon.

the real test for us will be how well we offload our fringe players at the end of the season and what we replace them with. for me, the next window will truly show if we've turned the corner as a club with a long term plan.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

We've been writing most seasons off in January ever since I was a little boy and that was a long time ago. Will never change.
HammerAl

Post by HammerAl »

steps wrote:Hahaha Lacina Traore, I wonder what he’s up to now. Probably playing basketball, wasn’t he about 7ft tall? BFS used to have sordid dreams about him, I’m sure.

Michy Batshuayi is this yesr’s Ivan Ramis / Eider Gudjonsson. :D
Released by Monaco last season, after scoring the grand total of 0 goals in 18 games for Amiens in his last loan spell...

Sign him up!
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Prob wrote:batshuyai wanted £170k a week

Chill would have wanted £100k+

Waste of money really and we are reportedly at our wage limit now, the players who we are looking to ship out in the summer frees up £500k in wages a week

Anderson will end up getting sold in the summer as well for big money
There's no way Palace are paying him 170k a week.

Sounds like another G+S excuse for not getting a deal done, leak it to the press that his wages are too high so the fans let them off.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Hamburger wrote:My Mum could score goals for Chelsea with all the superb offensive support they have.
What sort of contract is she looking for?
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Rasp wrote:Apparently we rejected him.
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/31/8 ... -batshuayi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Up the Junction wrote: The story is on the front page of this very website (KUMB), Rasp.

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133241
Well done us, I hold grudges for a long time and still haven’t forgiven him for turning us down the first time. Go waste your career on Chelsea’s bench/loan scheme.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

YorksHammer wrote:The most remarkable thing about us is that we've needed a new, solid, defensive midfielder since the end of Slav's first season - and it's been obvious. The moment we lost Song in 15/16, our defense went to pot and since then we have never replaced him with a player of similar playing style, ability, or quality.

I'm not too bothered about not signing anybody in January, and never am - I think it's a pointless window and shouldn't exist. But our repeated failure, at all levels, to identify where our problem is when it feels obvious to me watching us over the least three seasons, is shocking.

Watching Carvalho for Betis this season, I can't help but feel we might be a very different team had we signed him in the summer 2017 instead of piddling around with derisory bids.
So you would bin Declan Rice then?

We have a new solid, defensive midfielder someone who has the potential to be far better than Carvalho. That we did not pay a penny for him is not a reason to decide he is not good enough. What we need now is another alongside whose skill set will compliment his (albeit Rice has the potential to develop his weaknesses) - better ball carrying, better range of passing.