Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:51 pm It is obvious he doesn't touch the car. But why is he in there?
On his way to pee in a bottle apparently.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

This from a car forum I frequent:-

Interesting interview with Ross Brawn (that predates last weekend's Barcelona race) in which he indicates that Hamilton's relative showing against Russell is down to the former sacrificing races by running different setups to try to get the information and data that the team can use to solve the problem, while the latter concentrates on maximising his own race performance.

Brawn interview
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:15 pm This from a car forum I frequent:-

Interesting interview with Ross Brawn (that predates last weekend's Barcelona race) in which he indicates that Hamilton's relative showing against Russell is down to the former sacrificing races by running different setups to try to get the information and data that the team can use to solve the problem, while the latter concentrates on maximising his own race performance.

Brawn interview
Been suggested for a while (even Wolff said it) but it doesn’t fit the ‘Lewis bad’ agenda. He’s had a heavier car in at least three of the races (public fact) plus all the other stuff we don’t know about. George has done great, but Lewis has ‘taken one for the team’ on a number of occasions. SummersF1 Twitter is good to follow, he sometimes pops up on MissedApex discussing all sorts of tech stuff including the differences between team mates cars (Perez car is 1-2 generations behind Max, making it almost impossible for him to beat Max, and it’s Lewis that got aggro about Bottas (who has the same car!))
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:15 pm This from a car forum I frequent:-

Brawn interview
Do you reckon they've done that in previous seasons but with Hamiltons team mate?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Taken from the wonderful blog by Joe Saward

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2022/05 ... -dynamite/

"Spa’s Commercial Director Stijn de Boever was in Barcelona for discussions with F1, but the word is that the series promoter isn’t too keen on doing another deal, even if the provincial government ups the money, which it is willing to do. It may be considered a crime against humanity by hard core F1 fans not to have a race at Spa, but the sport wants to appeal to fans of all kinds – and Spa does not fit in this respect."

Shows the ‘war’ F1 is currently waging. If they ditch Spa for another razzmatazz US race or worse a street track in the Middle East it would be the final straw for many. All sports/businesses need to evolve but at what cost?
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu May 26, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:46 am Do you reckon they've done that in previous seasons but with Hamiltons team mate?
Mercedes only tried to engineer a title for one driver and that was for Rosberg.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Yeah, Spa Francorchamps is one of the great F1 circuits alongside Silverstone, Monza, Hungaroring, Suzuka, Nurburgring and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve for me.

I'd sooner jettison Monaco, which I've long since found dull, even if it too is one of the great circuits (and is on this weekend).

At what point does F1 cease to be about the best drivers in the fastest cars on the hardest tracks if we're constantly jettisoning great racing tracks for dull desert circuits full of back straights for arcade style DRS overtaking or copy paste "street circuits"?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I fear it's going the way of football, abandoning the match (or race) going fan for the subscription buying armchair consumer.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:58 pm I fear it's going the way of football, abandoning the match (or race) going fan for the subscription buying armchair consumer.
First Spa, then Monaco (which I don't care for but you cannot argue against its history) , then Monza and Silverstone? All for some no-mark Middle-East money and a quick buck from the Yanks (who will lose interest in a few years I reckon.) They are chasing the quick profit at the expense of the long term good (sound familiar?)
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Perhaps Bernie wasn't so bad after all. Something I never envisaged writing.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:30 pm Perhaps Bernie wasn't so bad after all. Something I never envisaged writing.
I wonder if some one will write that about I current owners in 10 years time? Scary thought.

But I do agree F1 was making good strides post Bernie but it all seems to have gone wrong post-Covid and is only accelerating.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Speaking of Bernie

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ying-a-gun

"Bernie Ecclestone was arrested late on Wednesday for illegally carrying a gun while boarding a private plane, police have said; he acknowledged owning the gun, but said he was unaware it was in his luggage; the 91-year-old paid bail and was freed to travel to Switzerland"
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Judging by this shot he was probably on his way to shoot his make up artist.

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Wrong thread
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

If F1 ditches venues like Spa, Silverstone, etc in favour of more US-style razzmatazz then you can count this particular luddite out.

Personally, I did not enjoy the Miami GP at all - aside from the celebrity circus and all the hyperbole, the circuit and the race itself didn't deliver. I was actually relieved when we got back to Barcelona, which I enjoyed much more - and that is not something I've said before!

The one in Texas has been good, although I am cringing at the thought of Vegas, and now NYC? Just move the whole franchise to the US and be done with it.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Monaco under threat?
Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc says Formula 1 dropping the Monaco Grand Prix would be a "bad move".

F1 owner Liberty Media is assessing how to grow the sport and Monaco is one of several races said to be under threat, along with equally historic Belgium.
Leclerc, who is from Monaco and has lived there all his life, said: "It would be a bad move for both parties.

"I have never known Monaco without F1 apart from Covid reasons in 2020 and F1 without Monaco for me is not F1."

Monaco is close to a sell-out for this year's race, but it holds a relatively small crowd because of the limited space in the town - at 68,000 for the weekend, when some races top 400,000 - and it pays what is believed to be the smallest fee.
It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Monaco disappeared from the calendar. In terms of motor racing it has very little to offer. If you read celebutard gossip magazines and similar rubbish I can see why you might watch it. Me? I prefer a good race.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I've stopped even watching the highlights now
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Denbighammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:20 pm I've stopped even watching the highlights now
I'm definitely having a wobble. I'm still watching the races but certainly not the passion I previously had. Being honest it could be part down to Lewis having a poor car, but I do feel it's more than that. I've always followed F1 even when we didn't have a top British driver, now we have 3.

It's becoming a bit like football changed for me. Nothing beat standing in the South bank or the Chicken run in the 80s. When we switched to all seaters something died in me. The money, the diving, VAR, they've all dimmed my passion for football.

The more they bring in rubbish tracks, the more we end up in souless places like Saudi, the more they threaten to take away places like Spa, the more I start to question how much I'm going to invest in F1.

3 races in America? Lets just call it Indy car and be done with it.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

view from the shires wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:29 pm Mercedes only tried to engineer a title for one driver and that was for Rosberg.
When Lewis is done, I look for to his autobiography, especially on that season. It must have taken some real smooze from Toto to repair those wounds.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Denbighammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:20 pm I've stopped even watching the highlights now
My interest has been diminishing for a few years as sky etc have taken over the TV but that debacle at the end of last season was the straw that broke the camels back. I hate unfairness and that was unfair and injust IMO. The only interest and hope I have now is that somehow Hamilton gets the 8th title that he was clearly cheated of.