Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by Morocco Mole »

Lewis is back. :newthumb:
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:25 pm Lewis is back. :newthumb:
4th now. Absolutely stoking drive. Hopefully fuels him for the races to come. They have a competitive car in race trim just need to work on qualifying.

Edit now Lewis is shafted by overheating issues and down to 5th.
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun May 22, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

wolf359 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:20 pmLewis unlucky again on lap one (thought KMag was lucky not be penalised - but the rules of engagement are different when Lewis is involved) drove a blinder (with damage) since
Yup, I thought Magnusson left him no space at all and was at fault for the contact.

Still, Hamilton’s had a great race otherwise and now back up to 4th after overtaking Sainz.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Good race but RB running away with it. I know haters will say Merc would do the swap to Bottas but I cannot recall it ever being done this early in the season. Perez didn’t spin, his DRS worked, he deserved the win.

Lewis with water leak hung on for 5th but was fortunate it happened so late.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Great drive by Russell.

Everyone seemed to have issues today.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Teams are not allowed to speak to the race director anymore, thank goodness. But that didn't stop rb's pointed public comments over the radio regarding Russell's movement under braking and road positioning. They really are an unlikeable bunch.

Good drives from both Merc drivers, unlucky Leclerc. Predictable result I'm afraid.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

:crylol:

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

From the BBC F1 race report:-

Team boss Toto Wolff came on the radio to Hamilton on his slowing-down lap to tell him that he had the fastest race time of any driver.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:36 pm From the BBC F1 race report:-

Team boss Toto Wolff came on the radio to Hamilton on his slowing-down lap to tell him that he had the fastest race time of any driver.
Indeed, slightly skewed by the fact he had a lot of clean air after lap one and Charlie's Italian reliability problems but (say it quietly) it was very, very promising.

Now if lady luck, the gods of F1 or who/whatever decides fate and luck could just give Lewis a break at some point (and keep George rolling) then Mercades are not too far behind to upset Ferrari and maybe, just maybe, put some pressure on RB (I am still amazed they have managed to produce a car after all the effort of last year, it wasn't supposed to happen.)

Of course the Italian press all over RBs (and Merc if they get close) spending and the budget cap, hopefully it is more robust than Footballs financial fair play if anyone is shown to be over.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Gosh Max is lucky as well as fast. Puts it in the gravel and still win because his rival's car lets go. Ferrari are messing this up as usual.

Team orders at Red Bull already? :thdn: We are back to the Schumacher days with Rubens. And people had the cheek to moan at Merc for moving Bottas over a few times. At least Merc waited until the second half of the season. Piss poor. God I hate Horner and that team.
westham,eggyandchips

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:52 pm Gosh Max is lucky as well as fast. Puts it in the gravel and still win because his rival's car lets go. Ferrari are messing this up as usual.

Team orders at Red Bull already? :thdn: We are back to the Schumacher days with Rubens. And people had the cheek to moan at Merc for moving Bottas over a few times. At least Merc waited until the second half of the season. Piss poor. God I hate Horner and that team.
Yeah, Max has been well lucky. Especially with those two DNF's earlier this season and no DRS yesterday.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:23 am Yeah, Max has been well lucky. Especially with those two DNF's earlier this season and no DRS yesterday.
Yeah to me it just shows how superior the RB is if they can keep it on the road.

Also, the DRS was intermittently faulty, that he had it most of the time kept him in the fight, and I think the only car he had to ‘overtake’ without it was his team mate. Good roll of the strategy dice by team red bull.

I really enjoyed the battle with Russell. Let’s get the Mercs competitive so we can at least watch a good season, Ferrari still haven’t lost the ability to collect fewer points than their car deserves.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Lewis was the quickest if you discount the first and last 2 laps. Merc also appear to have some straight line speed, which has been lacking so far this year. I will be happy if he manages 1 race win this year to keep up his record of at least one win in every year in F1.

Did Redbull forget that they are supposed to say the rear wing is broken and change it before the race so a different one is run in qualifying and the race? :eyes: We found the comments over the radio that Max was closing it himself by pressing the button more than once quite amusing. I am no Perez fan, but seeing him continually sacrificed to ensure Max wins is a little unfair. I understand from the teams point of view, but the car is so dominant they should let them race for at least part of the season, and let Perez have his day in the sun.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

view from the shires wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:03 pm Did Redbull forget that they are supposed to say the rear wing is broken and change it before the race so a different one is run in qualifying and the race?
They did get permission (on safety grounds) to alter it before the race (like they seem to do every race) but it seems they flew too close to the sun with the weight reductions. It is something they 'used' last season to their advantage more than anyone else. It is a loophole that needs closing, it is supposed to be for random issues that impacts safety, not every race. Can't engineer something strong enough, tough ****.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61551759

Complaints about budget capping from Horner. This is where F1 isn’t just about pure sporting excellence, the formula also requires engineering excellence, including mechanical endurance and design. If it was just about who’s fastest , it’d be restricted to Saturday qualifying and all go home. Development within boundaries means that your initial design and manufacture needs to be good enough for flexible development and endurance and simply not spend ways out of problems.
If it’s purely an economic inflationary issue then fine increase the budget cap in line with inflation at the middle point of the season and only once. But I reckon it’s more a general moan.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I like this bit from the BBC article

But the Alfa Romeo, Alpine, Haas and Williams teams all voted against a proposal for an inflationary adjustment based on International Monetary Fund inflation figures when it was proposed last month at an F1 Commission meeting of teams, the FIA and commercial rights holder F1.

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer said: "We've set our budgets early, we kind of anticipated a little bit of the inflation. Inflation didn't just creep up on us. If we can do it, for sure others can do it too. I'm not for just increasing the cap.

"When freight costs go up by 2.5m or 3.5m but your development budget is 20m, can you not make your development budget 17m and still be under the cap? You can.

"What that then does is it limits your development. So it's a lot easier, if you have the money, to go to the FIA and lobby to raise the cap and keep your development budget the same."

I make him absolutely right. Just because you can build a better wing mirror for fifty grand doesn't mean it's a good idea.
westham,eggyandchips

Interesting. Can't think of a single reason why he should be in there in the first place? :chin:

wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:49 am Interesting. Can't think of a single reason why he should be in there in the first place? :chin:

Hasn’t it been debunked as perspective. I’ve seen the video an it appears to be no where near it. He was there for an anti doping test by the way.
Last edited by wolf359 on Wed May 25, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Its quite obvious he didn't touch it.

The agenda against Hamilton is ridiculous.
westham,eggyandchips

k-r-c wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:10 pm Its quite obvious he didn't touch it.

The agenda against Hamilton is ridiculous.
It is obvious he doesn't touch the car. But why is he in there?