Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by sendô »

https://www.planetf1.com/news/yuki-tsun ... ranscript/

So was the tyre loose or not? As it seems it apparently was, then it wasn't, then is was again enough for Tsunoda to retire, and then after all it wasn't loose at all. Which begs the question, what was wrong?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:56 pm https://www.planetf1.com/news/yuki-tsun ... ranscript/

So was the tyre loose or not? As it seems it apparently was, then it wasn't, then is was again enough for Tsunoda to retire, and then after all it wasn't loose at all. Which begs the question, what was wrong?
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:32 pmI don't dispute any of what you are saying, but they are still very different sports.

Clearly you can build a bike and it is not 100% right, yet you can still get good results. FQ's Yamaha does not seem the full package compared to FB's Ducati, but the gap is not insurmountable. Even if you are not quite as fast you can block pass and get past, something not really possible in a F1 car.

With aerodynamics and ground effect in F1, if you are a fraction off you are miles off. It is a much more complex balance. There was no chance of getting past MV at Spa.
Yes, it's true that motorcycle racing is a purer form of racing, where the athlete can extract more from the machine by being a superior rider, something that is more difficult in cars.

Yet what Dorna har been able to build has been built by design. It wasn't this competitive in previous eras.

The simplest way to have a more competitive field is to give proportionally bigger advantage to the teams furtherest from the top spot. In similar vein to american sports where the season's worst team choses the best prospect from the next season.

If Red Bull, Mercedes and now Ferrari's development programmes were restricted while the likes of Williams and Aston Martin given free reign until they too could score enough points to lose their privilege, you wouldn't see the massive gaps that are at the moment. Unfortunately F1 is about winners, not racing. So you'll only need to competitive teams to create the required drama.
szola

Post by szola »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:38 pm It would have been so nice this weekend to have watched sport where the best team/person won without any outside interference.

0,034 seconds splitting Pecco from Bestia...

Pecco needs to win in order to have a chance to catch Quartararo in the World Championship
Bastianini will be Pecco's teammate next season and has no real chance to win the Championship

Still, they fought throughout the race.
Last time this happended, Bastianini won in France, while Pecco fell off, giving FQ a crucial advantage in the Championship

Welcome to the world of no team orders
:scarfer:
sendô

Post by sendô »

Oi, this is the F1 thread, not the hairdryer on two wheels thread. We're here to moan about Red Bull or criticise Lewis Hamilton for every little thing he does and nothing else, thank you.
szola

Post by szola »

Another good drive by Alonso. Will be interesting to see where the Ocon - Gasly combination will be able to guide the team next season.
Both have driven enough to be able to step up.

:thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

szola

Post by szola »

They've sold out long ago, with having the opening race at the Losail track in Qatar.
The recent addition of an unfinished track in the outskirts of a tourist destination in Indonesia instead of say Jakarta was another embarrasing one.
Buying vaccines for the lot, ahead of vulnerable groups, yet allowing everyone to enter the paddock and race yet another.

There will be a sprint race on every saturday next season.
Half the distance, half the points.

The list goes on.

Either way, they still have the best show in town.
:clown:
sendô

Post by sendô »

It looks like Hamilton is going to have to take a grid penalty for an engine change in Monza. Rumours circulating that the Red Bulls may do the same, not wanting to wait to do it at Singapore or Suzuka.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

MB aren't going to win at Monza so makes sense.

Easier to overtake at Monza so also makes sense for RB of they need to take another.

Would love to see a Ferrari win this weekend.
szola

Post by szola »

Porsche is out, even before they were in.

Looks like Red Bull will lure Honda to remain, at least in part.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yes no Porsche engines for RB from 2026 so they'll have to make do with Honda - sorry Red Bull Power Train - or find someone else. Who else is there though? Renault? Mercedes? Ferrari?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:48 pm Yes no Porsche engines for RB from 2026 so they'll have to make do with Honda - sorry Red Bull Power Train - or find someone else. Who else is there though? Renault? Mercedes? Ferrari?
So the whole, freeze the engine development to allow RB to 'cope' with Honda 'leaving' was just.. well b*llocks. That along with a new aero philosophy that focuses on an area they have a literal world leader in (with a PhD on the subject.) I wonder why anyone else bothers.. It is so stacked in their favour it is almost pointless.

Would make late 90s-early 00s Ferrari blush.

(yes, I can't stand Horner and by extension Red Bull)
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Gaz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:33 am MB aren't going to win at Monza so makes sense.

Easier to overtake at Monza so also makes sense for RB of they need to take another.

Would love to see a Ferrari win this weekend.
I'm breaking with forum sensibilities and quoting myself. Just heard Brundle kill my argument with facts, Monza is actually quite a difficult circuit to overtake on. I still maintain that on Sunday, the car with a double digit Kph advantage combined with DRS will make the race a formality.

Hope I'm wrong. For this weekend only, Forza Ferrari!
sendô

Post by sendô »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:05 pm So the whole, freeze the engine development to allow RB to 'cope' with Honda 'leaving' was just.. well b*llocks. That along with a new aero philosophy that focuses on an area they have a literal world leader on (with a PhD on the subject.) I wonder why anyone else bothers.. It is so stacked in their favour it is almost pointless.
Well the only other people interested in joining F1 seem to be Audi, obviously also part of VW, so presumably they'll want some control like Porche did. Otherwise Horner needs to find someone else. BMW? Ford? Toyota? He's got 3 years to find someone tbf.

I can't see any of the other three engine manufacturers in F1 entertaining supplying them. Well, Ferrari might, it'll give them a better chance of getting one of their engines to the end of a race.

Anyway, at least F1 is still on this weekend if there's no football.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

sendô wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:31 pm Anyway, at least F1 is still on this weekend if there's no football.
Yes, I did see some ridiculous note on the BBC that almost sounded incredulous that Friday practice was going ahead.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Formula 3 goes down to the final race tomorrow morning if anyone is interested. Six drivers can take the title.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Something needs to change with penalty system.

Qualifying just felt like it didn’t have that edge as Leclerc was guaranteed pole. Russell qualifying 6th but will start second is silly.

Feel like the they need tougher punishment with maybe points deductions or something from constructors.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

k-r-c wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:11 pm Something needs to change with penalty system.

Feel like the they need tougher punishment with maybe points deductions or something from constructors.
Agreed, that seems to be the general view, however as with many things in F1 the teams get to vote on it so they won't agree on losing points etc. So it comes to taking away from the events on track.

Horner was just asked about it and the interviewer suggested Constructors points, which he basically threw out.

Race wise Max will be 2nd in a few laps I reckon, it will then be a case of how much Ferrari mess up (because they will to some degree). Leclerc looks fast and I can't see Max (which the more down-force/slow straight line speed) being able to over take on track with equal tyres.

EDIT --- Peak F1 - it is 4 hours after qualifying and no one knows what the starting grid is, teams, drivers, journalists all giving out differing lists of the order tomorrow!
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Hoping Max tries his luck against Alonso first chicane. :twisted: