Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2013 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

So when Hamilton doesn't win the title its engineered?

Merc assisted Rosberg in '16 and the FIA assisted Max in '21?

And now because Hamilton isn't winning at a cantor it's now not worth watching. Its the circuits, it's Russell running a different set-up, It's Horner, it's American races.

:asleep:
OFT
Has liked: 3202 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:28 pm So when Hamilton doesn't win the title its engineered?

And now because Hamilton isn't winning at a cantor it's now not worth watching. Its the circuits, it's Russell running a different set-up, It's Horner, it's American races.

:asleep:
Clearly it was 'engineered' in that last race. My disinterest began as with most sport when the bulk of it went to subscription TV . Same with cricket, tennis etc. Hamilton was fiddled out of the last race and therefore his 8th title. I don't care if there's three races in America or thirty fuckin three, I detest unfairness and for whatever reason, clearly given the opportunity to deprive Hamilton somebody changed the rules accordingly IMO. And FWIW, I didn't watch that race live but did watch highlights so I could form my own opinion of the issue. The last time I remember being genuinely interested for the whole season, Jenson Button was driving.
Gaz
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Gaz »

The 'sport' lost a lot of integrity last year. That's difficult to get back. I'm now questioning the motives of even the most mundane decisions.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

The Abu Dhabi farce has certainly left its mark. It was enforced in Verstappen’s favour with a view to there being a new F1 Champion, pure and simple. Ref Bull know it, Mercedes know it, the world and his wife know it. It’s left me somewhat disillusioned with the sport. Hamilton is going through a spell of tough luck. In racing he has been repeatedly undone by inconvenient safety car interventions and even in qualifying today, the luck was not on his side. Hopefully it’s just a run of bad luck that will end sooner rather than later.
I’m happy to see Ferrari at the business end of the grid and it’s great that Norris and Russell are doing well.
I don’t like Red Bull , I don’t like Horner or Verstappen and I don’t trust any of them.
I do hope Hamilton refunds his mojo soon. I do believe you make your own luck and I feel he is so scarrred mentally from last year that he is getting in his car on the grid expecting the worst, and at the moment that’s what happening. He’s won at least one GP every year he’s been racing, that’s a fantastic achievement and one I’m sure Lewis will be determined to preserve.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:28 pm So when Hamilton doesn't win the title its engineered?

Well the evidence says yes, which I know you won't accept, but there are undeniable facts which you need to counter

1) Merc swapped crews at the start of that season, giving Hamilton's to Rosberg. Did Red Bull swaps Vettels to Webber at any point? Would they give Max's to Perez next year if Max wins again? It is just about unheard of to do such a thing in F1.It can only have been to give Rosberg, who was being outdriven by Hamilton, a leg up. In addition, in the final race, when Hamilton was backing up the field into Rosberg, which he was perfectly entitled to do, and with Merc in no danger of losing any titles, the team was on the radio trying to stop him. Seems fairly clear they had a preferred winner in mind.

2) Every time in F1 there has been a safety car restart, the rules have been applied in one way, allowing all lapped cars to overtake, except one race. You of course know what that race was.

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:28 pm Its the circuits
Are you actually going to try to tell us that Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Sochi, Miami are better than Spa, Hockenheim or Silverstone?
westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:28 pmIt's Horner,
He's a knob. Everyone knows it. You only like him because his man beat Hamilton and we know how much you dislike Hamilton. You have 9 team bosses who are all amusing and civil and one that sticks out like a sore thumb as a charmless twat.
westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:28 pm it's American races.
Yes. No country has 3 races. It's a global sport and has been for a very very long time. Austin is a great circuit. But putting F1 on US street circuits is another sell out. I assume you backed the European superleague. Lets just forget the soul and follow the money.
westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:28 pm :asleep:
Night.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

What a joke of a (non)start. New race director lost the plot already.
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

When did not starting a race because of the rain become a thing?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Suns out and we could have got going ages ago. Race director watching radar waiting for perfection.

This is shocking, really is. Must be a weekend for incompetent organisation is sport.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

Starting under a safety car is a joke. Just start on wets ffs.

Currently under red flag due to schumacher crashing.

Ferrari shot themselves in the foot with pit strategy taking Leclerc from 1st to 4th, will have to see if being on hards works for them.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

Which it didnt of course because this is Monaco where overtaking is virtually impossible.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

I don't get why the commentators were pulling themselves off about how exciting the race was when after the restart it involved all the cars not overtaking each other.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Either one of two things need to happen. They make the cars smaller, or bin off Monaco. Baring in mind you have to go back to the 80's to find decent racing there, and cars being much smaller in the 90s and 00s, I know what one I'd choose.

For all the glitz and glamour, from a racing pov, it's ****.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Ferrari appeal result. Perez and Verstappen summoned. Both for touching the line when exiting the pits. Event notes state you must stay to the right of the line, red bull believe it means ‘don’t cross’. Maybe the stewards will actually come down again red bull for once (though I’d feel sorry for Perez).
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 889 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Apart from being a stalwart, is there any reason to keep Monaco on the list?

Money wise, it would make sense to replace it. I heard that Monaco pays the least money and also a much lower attendance.

I only bare it because it was the first track I ever watched; with my Grandad when I was about 5 years old. Remember it vividly as he was a keen F1 fan. Panis, Coulthard and Herbert were the only three finishers, in a wet race.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I wonder if Alonso was making a subtle point about how ***** Monaco is as a motor racing track :winker:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Perez seems to be in the clear according to F1 journos (no confirmation yet). Max’s pictures are pretty damming but this is the FIA and the chosen one so not expecting them to follow their own rules.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by k-r-c »

It’s just like VAR isn’t it. They pick and choose how they decide things.

The pictures we have seen look pretty obvious Verstappen crossed the line yet they just pretended it didn’t happen.

Whatever happens here which should be a penalty, someone somewhere high up needs to call out what’s going on here because it’s quite clear that’s there’s a lot of picking a choosing what’s being checked/investigated and that’s not just in F1.

I’m waiting for it to come out it was wet so they couldn’t control the car so well - yet no other drivers crossed the line.

Ferrari are well within their right to protest but once again the FIA are failing and just making it look like there is a bias.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Also do we thing Hamilton backed up ocon to make sure he didn’t get any points?

Not really sure why Alonso actually drove so slow in that period as not sure what he had to gain.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

k-r-c wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:26 pm Also do we thing Hamilton backed up ocon to make sure he didn’t get any points?

Not really sure why Alonso actually drove so slow in that period as not sure what he had to gain.
A driver as experienced as Alonso knows there's zero chance of moving up the field at Monaco, so perhaps he was saving his engine?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Congratulations to Ericsson great Indy500 win. Late red flag almost took it away.

Alonso, they were really worried about tyre life. Why he had to drive 3-4 seconds a lap slower I’ve no idea but it wouldn’t shock me if it was supposed to annoy Lewis (which it didn’t seem to do - he was chilled after the race.) Blokes never got over being schooled by Lewis in his debut year. But in true Alonso fashion he screwed his team mate over playing silly buggers.

Result stands. It seems the sporting rules have changed but they used last years rules on the race notes (multi-Billion pound sport…)