Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by wolf359 »

How sad

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Jonah wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:53 am I think I heard Sainz say he lost 4.9kg in drivers room after the race?
That's not all he said. Dropped a beautiful F-bomb!! :grin:
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

I actually had high hopes for this new yank GP. I generally enjoy the event and racing in Austin and the promoters do a decent job. But wow, that race was appalling, and even worse was the celebrity fawning from the broadcasters. It’s high time the yanks realised that apart from about 3 very famous ones in the past 30 years, nobody else in the world gives a crap or wants to know who some beanpole, cocky idiot basketball player is. I did like the way Brundle approached his grid walk as he mugged off a couple of wannabe’s without them even realising his sarcastic British pit downs. Hopefully they all went away sulking as they were all clearly rooting for Hamilton but hadn’t realised that the car he was driving this season was a pile of pooh. But then again how would they know that, they’ve barely even seen a race in their entire lives. They’re there for the freebies only. In the immortal words of Jeff Astle “Any More Pie”!
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I'm praying Merc sort the car issues out, or we will have the Max v LeClerc show all season, which is what we were promised wouldn't be happening this year...
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 pm I'm praying Merc sort the car issues out, or we will have the Max v LeClerc show all season, which is what we were promised wouldn't be happening this year...
The way Max has bossed the last two it might not even be that.
Bend it like Repka

Ferrari upgrade due for the next race.....
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:34 am Ferrari upgrade due for the next race.....
RB claimed to have shaved 8kg off. Enter the upgrade wars , we have. [best Yoda voice]
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

With the cap on money spent, I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes will be using this season to focus on developing next seasons car.
Give Hamilton one last shot at the title, before they move on to bring in another young driver next to, then, experienced Russell.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

szola wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:31 am With the cap on money spent, I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes will be using this season to focus on developing next seasons car.
Give Hamilton one last shot at the title, before they move on to bring in another young driver next to, then, experienced Russell.
It is funny that the cost cap seems to be less of an issue for some teams than others, it feels a bit like financial fair play at the moment. Red Bull have already bought upgrades and are bringing more to Spain, Merc have done almost nothing and are apparently done after Spain if it doesn't work. Ferrari are also 'spent up' as well despite minimal changes thus far. RB must have spent nothing developing their car, it is either genius (which is possible) or all a bit dodgy.

Though time will tell, will there be a 'late' developer, AM apparently are bring a 'half changed' car to Spain, with a massive amount of alterations, improvements and additions. Maybe some cars are as good as they are going to get and others have just got going.

Be interesting if it does change things but I can't see it at the moment. If the RB doesn't break down then Max will run away with it.
szola

Post by szola »

I'd like to see an open book approach to the costs during the season. We don't need to know the finer details, only the main costs that have occured.

As for upgrades, the Mercedes had some in Miami and the Ferrari will have some in Catalunya.
Fingers crossed for the latter being able to keep pace with the bulls. A Verstappen - Leclerc duel in the coming years would be a good way to keep the suspense in the championship
westham,eggyandchips

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 pm I'm praying Merc sort the car issues out, or we will have the Max v LeClerc show all season, which is what we were promised wouldn't be happening this year...
Who promised you that?
Bend it like Repka

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:25 pm Who promised you that?
The new regs were supposed to even the field, encourage closer racing. All I'm seeing is exactly the same as last year...
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:01 pm The new regs were supposed to even the field, encourage closer racing. All I'm seeing is exactly the same as last year...
It’s ok if it not Hamilton/Mercedes as either one of the two.
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri May 13, 2022 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
westham,eggyandchips

Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:01 pm The new regs were supposed to even the field, encourage closer racing.
So was the start of the hybrid era. Yet, Mercedes have won every season thus far.
Bend it like Repka

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:22 pm So was the start of the hybrid era. Yet, Mercedes have won every season thus far.
And all the people who constantly bemoaned that will now try and pretend this is better and different, when it is not.

It could be argued that last season McClaren were on course to become the third team in the mix. Maybe Ferrari could have caught up as well with another year. Now we are back to 2 dominant teams with the others miles away.

As wolf says, as long as it's not Merc, then it will be seen as a change. It will be interesting to see how long that can wash. Also how long before before people start piling onto Sainz and Perez as being inadequate? I bet it takes a lot longer than for Bottas.....
szola

Post by szola »

Hopefully the costs cap will limit just how far Red Bull can pull away from the others.
Consessions, just as in MotoGP, should be introduced.

The teams at the lower end should be given free reign, and the midfield teams should be given some more track testing time.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

szola wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:41 am The teams at the lower end should be given free reign, and the midfield teams should be given some more track testing time.
They are to a point, wind tunnel time is on a scale (posted last page I think). However all the teams are leaning on others to 'help out' with fingers being pointed at the Haas/Ferrari relationship as they share a wind tunnel (via Mick). AT are testing stuff for RB (Gasly on his third engine already) and I'd be surprised if one of the Merc engine teams is not testing stuff for big brother either. Ony Alpine are losing out here (which is why Andretti will possibly have Renault engines if they can get an entry)

Next year will be the first real test of it when all the Power train is homologated, make that extra development time really important and could (hopefully) allow Williams and the like to really move forward.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/25/f1- ... nits-2023/
westham,eggyandchips

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:39 am And all the people who constantly bemoaned that will now try and pretend this is better and different, when it is not.

It could be argued that last season McClaren were on course to become the third team in the mix. Maybe Ferrari could have caught up as well with another year. Now we are back to 2 dominant teams with the others miles away.

As wolf says, as long as it's not Merc, then it will be seen as a change. It will be interesting to see how long that can wash. Also how long before before people start piling onto Sainz and Perez as being inadequate? I bet it takes a lot longer than for Bottas.....
Well I suppose if RB win seven titles on the bounce (which I don't think they will Btw) then anyone that follows the sport will every right to complain.

But we're five races into this season and so far it's been as entertaining as last.

Personally I can't complain about that.

I guess the hard supporting Mercedes fans may disagree.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

LittleChris wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:35 pm Apparently Seb is appearing on Question Time from Hackney this coming Thursday.
Thought he spoke well on Question time, despite not getting that much airtime.
Bend it like Repka

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:27 am
But we're five races into this season and so far it's been as entertaining as last.

Personally I can't complain about that.

I guess the hard supporting Mercedes fans may disagree.
Agreed its only 5 races, but not sure has been as entertaining as last year. It still seems overtaking is very DRS reliant which is what was meant to change.

As for Mercedes, yes it would be nice with 2 brits up there, but I would have taken McClaren as well. We desperately need a third driver in the mix....