Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:33 pm Hoping Max tries his luck against Alonso first chicane. :twisted:
Alonso will wave him through with a kiss on the cheek.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:33 pm Hoping Max tries his luck against Alonso first chicane. :twisted:
Be interesting to see if Gasly has a 'problem' tomorrow and cannot line up 5th - Gives Max a nice gap to drive right into.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

k-r-c wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:11 pm Something needs to change with penalty system.
Agreed, that’s two races in a row now with several drivers taking grid penalties. What is it this week, ten drivers? It’s making a farce of qualifying and makes the whole rule pointless.

It’ll be interesting to see how Nick de Vries does in Albon’s Williams. He’s already out qualified Latifi.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Oh look Max is third half way through the first lap. Such fun.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

So we don’t finish under safety cars? Obviously except when it favours Max. They are not even pretending now.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

The irony of the sky commentary team in those safety car laps.

Race was a bit of a foregone conclusion to be fair. No surprises. Good drives from Hamilton and Sainz. De Vries did nothing wrong.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Gaz wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:00 pm The irony of the sky commentary team in those safety car laps.

Race was a bit of a foregone conclusion to be fair. No surprises. Good drives from Hamilton and Sainz. De Vries did nothing wrong.
It is ironic, but the precedent was set last year. They publicly said we don't want races finishing under the safety car... but there we go. Today followed the rules as they are written but after the title was given to Max this year the paying Italian punters had an expectation (and rightly so)

De Vires was excellent and again showed just how terrible Lataffi is and what a waste of a seat.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yes, de Vries showing that the Williams is not as bad as Latifi is making it look.

As to the safety car, the race probably would have restarted if the stewards had been able to get Riccardo’s car into neutral to push it off of the track. By the time the tow truck came out, and the safety car somehow came out in front of Russell and not Verstappen it was too late. In reality as soon as Ferrari went for the early pit under the VSC their only chance of winning was some sort of outside intervention like the SC. LeClerc was a out 17s behind with not enough laps left when Riccardo broke down.

Another solid race from Russell. He seems like a smart driver. He knows where his car is, what he can realistically achieve and keeps the points ticking over. He has a great chance of finishing ahead of both Sainz and Perez in the championship which would be a phenomenal achievement given how bad Mercedes were early on.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

They were too slow to deploy the safety car and can understand why the Italians feel aggrieved however I doubt Leclerc would have passed Verstappen but atleast we would have ended with a flourish. Another poor showing from F1 all weekend to be honest with the farce of all the penalties.

I’ve felt extremely underwhelmed by this season. I mean it doesn’t help with a run away leader but it just seems to be a bit messy.

Am hoping next season teams will have sorted things out and F1 themselves sort out something with regards to penalties.

Atleast had some sport to watch this weekend.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

It seems to me that the FIA have swung too far in the opposite direction after the events that transpired in the last race of last season.

Ironically, if they'd finished last season like they did today, or finished today like they did last season, they'd arguably be in a better position!
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

simon hammer wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:14 pm It seems to me that the FIA have swung too far in the opposite direction after the events that transpired in the last race of last season.

Ironically, if they'd finished last season like they did today, or finished today like they did last season, they'd arguably be in a better position!
Today followed the rules as it has been written for a number of years.. the questions (in my mind and my others - including the italian crowd based on the many boos at the end) was the precedent set last year and the repeated statement that races need to end under a green flag (repeated many times between the seasons and into this year) by FIa higher ups, some team principles etc.

If AD had happened as per the rule book then Lewis would be champion and no one would have raised an eyebrow today...
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

There's no way the rules can mandate a race must end under a green flag unless they allow refuelling and that's not going to happen.

One safety car/green flag rule I would amend is compulsory pitstops. A stop under the safety car (real or virtual) wouldn't count as the compulsory stop, and if that stop has already been made before a safety car stop then another stop must be made before the start of the last lap.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:08 pm There's no way the rules can mandate a race must end under a green flag unless they allow refuelling and that's not going to happen.
Automattic red flag if safety car is needed in the last 10 laps was suggested today.. not a bad idea if that is the route they are going down. Personally I am ok with today that is the rules.. but it was in AD as well...
sendô

Post by sendô »

The problem with having an automatic red flag right before the end is whoever happens to have the freshest tyres is likely to win/gain, rather than whoever has been fastest over the race distance or else managed tyres properly, which is the whole point in F1. We’ll all moan about the turbo overtake button that is DRS but then we apparently want a 3 lap sprint race with some racers stuck on old, hard tyres.

The rules as they are at the moment are fine as I can see. The issue of course is they need to be applied consistently, which they haven’t been in the past.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

It's quite incredible how safety car situations just work out for Max. Sure he may not have been passed today, but to roll over the line unchallenged today after what we saw last year...................

How could race control not move those cars past? It should have been possible to at least get 1 lap of racing. Piss poor.

Some other questions.

1) We were promised closer racing. Red Bull are miles ahead. What are the FIA going to do about that?
2) How comes Max is so far ahead of Perez now, when they were much closer earlier in the year?
sendô

Post by sendô »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:47 pm 2) How comes Max is so far ahead of Perez now, when they were much closer earlier in the year?
Every time I see Perez he looks like a broken man. I think he’s realised he just can’t keep up with Verstappen, but I don’t think he’s a Barrichello happy to be second fiddle. I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t there next year.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Bottas managed 5 years of it....
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

I found a lot of the post-race comments difficult to stomach when taken in the context of Abu Dhabi.

It felt like Sky who are ever mindful of 'the product' were jumping on the opportunity to use 'an unsatisfactory conclusion to the race' as a retrospective justification as to why AD21 was right.

As for Horner saying he wanted to get racing again - those comments are easier to make when you have the clearly superior car and 100+ points difference in the championships.

Ted Kravitz has been vocal about AD21 in the past and was again, but still had to toe the Sky line and walk Toto back from commenting about Abu Dhabi.

I didn't think I'd be able to watch F1 this year, but actually my enjoyment of the sport has kept me going, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to watch the lack of integrity from the Sky team. They were basically confusing themselves and eating their own tails yesterday.

My view on the regulations; yesterday was by the book and exposed AD21 for what it was. As someone said above, if that happened last year, Hamilton would be champion, no one would bat an eye lid.

If the FIA/F1 want to engineer the rules to make sure we don't end races under a safety car, fine by me, but you need to find a way to make sure it is fair, that no car benefits or loses out. Yesterday, Max had built up an 18 second(?) lead after 50 laps of racing, I don't think it would be fair to restart with Charles right behind, especially if teams were granted the opportunity to refresh tyres, etc. It would be like stopping a game of football at 2-0 and chalking the two goals off for the last 10 minutes.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

So it has come out that Albon didnt race this weekend as had respiratory failure!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/62881176
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Thank god it was a Mercedes powered Mclaren that broke down and not another Alpha Tauri.