Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by wolf359 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:12 pm The comments in that thread are just comedy.

It's like a Bermuda Triangle of Merc Fans v Everybody Else :rofl:
I don't read the threads. I use Twitter only for news and ignore any replies (unless they are from someone known and verified - normally pinned at top)
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:15 pm I don't read the threads. I use Twitter only for news and ignore any replies (unless they are from someone known and verified - normally pinned at top)
Good policy. Honestly, its easy to lose faith in the human race if you spend too much time reading Twitter threads!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:15 pm I don't read the threads. I use Twitter only for news and ignore any replies (unless they are from someone known and verified - normally pinned at top)
I do just for the chuckle. I never, ever comment on them though. Mind you, I did on one occasion for a non-F1 related topic, and had a spat with a bloke called Bruce whom I was informed was Simple Minds former manager.

Bizarrely, we ended up following each other :grin:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

A comment on the Hamilton Knighthood on BBC News Facebook page:

#BLM

#BeatenLastMinute

Genius

:grin:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:10 pm A comment on the Hamilton Knighthood on BBC News Facebook page:

#BLM

#BeatenLastMinute

Genius

:grin:
Too soon DL, too soon.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

It begins — I’m sure the result will maximise income it seems to blame the fans for not ‘understanding’

“In a statement, the FIA blamed a ‘misunderstanding’ from fans and teams about the rules for the extent of the fallout afterwards, but did at least admit that the situation was hurting F1.”

They are doubling down, it’s everyone else’s fault. They can do one. If that is the conclusion I’m done.
Last edited by wolf359 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I've polished my crystal ball and can therefore predict:-

To avoid an embarrasing court case the FIA will declare the Abu Dhabi result null and void meaning Verstappen will still be champion on countback and Masi gets a public humiliation and will be 'resignated'. MB (and Ferrari?) will get undisclosed payouts and Race Director discretion will be curtailed and strictly defined.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:03 pm I've polished my crystal ball and can therefore predict:-

To avoid an embarrasing court case the FIA will declare the Abu Dhabi result null and void meaning Verstappen will still be champion on countback and Masi gets a public humiliation and will be 'resignated'. MB (and Ferrari?) will get undisclosed payouts and Race Director discretion will be curtailed and strictly defined.
Pretty much. Though depending on how much Merc push there are rumblings of a shared ‘WDC’. There is a rule where ‘tie breakers’ are down to the fia so the ‘most wins’ can be circumvented.

use ‘we can do anything’ to duck it up. And use ‘we can do anything’ to ‘fix’ it.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

As expected Mercedes have decided not to pursue their appeal on the grounds that F1’s image would be tarnished.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:24 am As expected Mercedes have decided not to pursue their appeal on the grounds that F1’s image would be tarnished.
I wonder what has been promised.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Its probably best, to be fair. Hopefully a more effective race director, and reduced whining to the race director by team principals will follow.

The regulations are already there, aside from maybe some tightening up of the language ('any' to 'all', eg). But the main rule change Mercedes should go after is what constitutes unacceptable driving behaviour. E.g. braking too late when under threat of an overtake with little chance of making the turn, let alone the apex, thereby forcing the overtaker into an avoiding action should be penalised.

I watch Verstappen on a fast lap and it is a sight to behold, I really want to enjoy watching him but his overly aggressive style makes that difficult. E.g. when Ocon was unlapping himself at Brazil a few seasons ago, was one of those avoidable incidents but Max opted to defend it and then go and have a punch up in the garage afterwards. I thought we'd left those days behind. Some people like it though.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:24 am As expected Mercedes have decided not to pursue their appeal on the grounds that F1’s image would be tarnished.
Bit late for that.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I am surprised to be honest. Mercedes would have been 100% right to appeal imo. Hamilton was shafted on Sunday.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

According to reports Lewis asked them to drop it. I don't believe Lewis would treasure any championship won in court, the moment has gone.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

jastons wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:43 pm Hamilton was shafted on Sunday.
Absolutely
Bend it like Repka wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:19 pm According to reports Lewis asked them to drop it. I don't believe Lewis would treasure any championship won in court, the moment has gone.
Completely agree.

Whatever he might’ve been feeling on the inside, outwardly Lewis has conducted himself impeccably with dignity and took the result with great sportsmanship.
Hopefully he’ll do his talking on the track next season.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

By the last race watching was no longer an enjoyable experience as we were just sat there waiting for the next attempt by Max to try and take Lewis out if he was ahead. The last 3 - 4 races were way too stressful from our point of view. Max didn't need to drive like this as he is extremely talented and is on a par with Lewis, and when everything is reviewed probably deserved the title (the blow out in Baku robbed him of victory there which would have made the last race an irrelevance).

Lewis had a phenomenal end to the season and Mercedes finally seemed to get on top of the rules changes that affected them so badly earlier in the season. After he failed to win in Austin I gave him no chance of the title.

Re the safety car Mercedes made a decision based on being told that the cars would not be permitted to unlap themselves and then once Max had pitted Horner pressured Masi into "letting them race". Even then the rules state the safety car ends on the lap following the unlapped cars being allowed past (not at the end of the lap). Once the decision was made he should have had the nerve to stick to it and not move the goalposts. Masi was out of his depth all season and I can't see him being in control next year. However, I am glad Mercedes and Lewis have conceded and it isn't going to be settled in court.

I am not sure the Redbull will be weak next year. The low profile tyres with no give will suit there design philosophy better than the current Mercedes one. They already run a compliant chassis and suspension, whereas the Merc is very stiff and relies on the tyres as a suspension aid. The rumour is the cars are already almost as quick as this years so it will be interesting. I just hope the racing is fair and the rules are tightened up to prevent a spectacle becoming a farce.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

view from the shires wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:51 pm I am not sure the Redbull will be weak next year. The low profile tyres with no give will suit there design philosophy better than the current Mercedes one. They already run a compliant chassis and suspension, whereas the Merc is very stiff and relies on the tyres as a suspension aid. The rumour is the cars are already almost as quick as this years so it will be interesting. I just hope the racing is fair and the rules are tightened up to prevent a spectacle becoming a farce.
The tech talks I've listen to seem to believe it will favour Mercedes since the ground effect is a low-rake setup, something that Mercedes are very familiar with. Red Bull have been using a high-rake over the last 7 years or so and clearly have more to change. The not using the development tokens by Merc is huge, they have been concentrating on next season whilst others have been busting a bollock to keep up this year (and still failed with Merc winning the WCC)

Anyway we'll see in less than 90 days no one really knows and I am sure they will be appeal and questioning from all about every little trick and clever development that pops up. Despite being so pissed off last Sunday (like 2006 pissed off) I am missing not have Free Practice one to look forward to today.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

The lack of awareness is staggering.

Along with Todt's comments yesterday about not tolerating criticism, shows the FIA are living in an alternate universe. They'll throw the book at him for this and if they are not careful their biggest draw will tell 'em to stick it.

https://racingnews365.com/fia-to-discus ... -from-gala

"The new FIA Deputy President, Robert Reid, has said that a discussion at top level about Lewis Hamilton's snub of the FIA Prize-Giving Gala is a key topic for the handover of outgoing President Jean Todt's administration to the new one, under Mohammed Ben Sulayem.

Ben Sulayem was elected as the new FIA President on Friday, with Robert Reid assuming the position as his Deputy.

Reid stated that the FIA will be taking a closer look at the situation, with Hamilton not showing for the obligatory ceremony after finishing as runner-up in the F1 Drivers' Championship.

"Yeah, it's in the statute, it's in the rules, that if you win or are in the top three, you've got to come to the Prize-Giving," Reid said in an exclusive interview with RacingNews365.com immediately after Ben Sulayem's election victory."
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

That's incredible - I'm (obviously) not Lewis Hamilton and I want to tell them to stick it
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

New FIA president saying LH may face sanction and reprimand for failing to appear at the FIA back-slapping awards. If he gets a reprimand, it will be his 3rd thus earning a 10 place grid penalty at the 1st race of the season.

Apparently, it's in the sporting code that 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the championship must attend.