Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

For me the most gutting thing today was that Lewis absolutely controlled that race today from the start. He had to contend with a very fair Perez, doing the job he’s paid to do, unlike Bottas who as a wing man is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, but Perez stuck to his task today as he did yesterday, and held Lewis up for Verstappen to catch him up. But then Lewis pulled away again building what would of been an unassailable lead only for the safety car to come to Max’s rescue. 57 laps of dominance undone by the incompetence of Masi who decided he would manufacture a final lap sprint to decide the title.
Early on today I posted that whilst I wanted Lewis to prevail, I also wanted the best man on the day to win and I wanted it to be fair and square. It wasn’t, everyone knows that. Red Bull and Verstappen didn’t do anything wrong today, they just accepted the gift of a win presented to them by Masi, who will surely be unemployed before Bahrain next year.
As always, Lewis accepted defeat with good grace and class. I really hope this spurs him on to kick Red Bull’s arse next year.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

And on that I'll repeat what I said before, Toto showed too much compassion to Bottas who might be fast, but he has no streetfighting skills at all.

Marko/Horner will chop a driver if they think it will improve the team, that is where they win over Toto

After Bottas feeble defence in Russia it was clear he was not going to do anything to help. Can you imagine having Russell in a merc today?

I'd wager he could have been sitting behind Lewis as rear gunner on that restart, not trunding around in about 8th.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Stuff like today reminds me why I only take a passing interest in F1 these days.

If it isn't a year on year procession dominated by one team, it's the contrived competition, changing of rules and interference from the FIA.

You'd have thought the debacle at Spa would have been the biggest nonsense this year in F1, but today's last lap changing of the safety car rules in order to force a "racing finish" when in any other race of the season it would have ended under the safety car takes that trophy by some distance.

Sure, I can understand why Masi didn't want to be seen to "hand the championship" to Hamilton under the safety car, but instead he's as good as handed it to Verstappen. It's lose lose for everyone - Verstappen and Red Bull, Hamilton and Mercedes and mostly F1 itself, in spite of the "most exciting F1 finish ever" claptrap. I bet Clive Tyldesley was screaming "Verstaaappeeeeeennnnnn!!!!!" into his fist watching the tele.

Anyway, well done to Verstappen. A worthy winner nonetheless - either him or Hamilton would have been.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

So I managed to avoid knowing what happened at the game today and have just finished watching it back since getting home.

ABSOLUTE ****ing b*llocks!

Nothing today against Red Bull or Max Verstappen (although I do feel he once again forced Lewis off on the first corner…), they took advantage of the position they found themselves in which is their right.

Lewis was without doubt the better drive today and should be walking away with title 8, but once again the FIA make it up as they go along. A very bitter taste in the mouth after that.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

And now one of Masi's decisions has changed the outcome of the world championship. Not only that, but many will have questions about the way he talked to Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff when he complained over the radio immediately after the flag.

"It's called a motor race, Toto," he said. Some senior figures were aghast at the manner and content of that remark.

That is unbelievable. The race director, who has decided the outcome of a championship, using that terminology and attitude.

I don't see how Masi survives this. I don't see how Merc will ever tolerate him being in charge again.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:25 am
I don't see how Masi survives this. I don't see how Merc will ever tolerate him being in charge again.
I think F1 may well be about to implode on itself.

A little thing I picked up on at the end of Hamilton's interview yesterday. "We'll see about next year." Was that a hint that retiring is a possibility?

Then of course, there's the small matter of Mercedes. If they pull out, then what? I don't mean the works team, I mean Mercedes in general. If they do, that will be a works team gone, and three independents without an engine.

Mercedes don't need F1. All car makers bottom lines are being hit during the pandemic with supply chain issues, lack of semi-conductors - they can't build enough to sell and make a profit on.

We may be about to see F1 realising that they need Mercedes more than Mercedes need F1 - because if they go, there will be no sport as we know it, as Red Bull, Renault and Ferrari won't be able supply the other three teams with engines at short notice - and the events of this season and yesterday in particular isn't exactly a ringing endorsement to get V.A.G. on board as a supplier either.

The WC result shouldn't change - it's done and dusted, but the fall out from this may well have far bigger ramifications than who the rightful World Champion should be.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

This could never happen in MotoGP

F1 is a dramatisation of racing
MotoGP is racing

szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:25 am And now one of Masi's decisions has changed the outcome of the world championship. Not only that, but many will have questions about the way he talked to Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff when he complained over the radio immediately after the flag.

"It's called a motor race, Toto," he said. Some senior figures were aghast at the manner and content of that remark.

That is unbelievable. The race director, who has decided the outcome of a championship, using that terminology and attitude.

He shouldn't be given another stint in charge. The changing of limits, and the changing of penalties is though what should bring him down.
Without knowing what to expect, how can you race?

The regulation is also....something to be looked at. They have so many blind spots. It's really odd, considering how much money is spent on this sport year in year out.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

I guess if there is a rule within the rule book that says the race director can basically override anything and do as he pleases means that Merc haven’t really got a case to take against the FIA as all decisions are at the race directors discretion (no matter how strange they may or may not seem)
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:42 am I guess if there is a rule within the rule book that says the race director can basically override anything and do as he pleases means that Merc haven’t really got a case to take against the FIA as all decisions are at the race directors discretion (no matter how strange they may or may not seem)
Yes that is the long and short of it. However as always there are politics at play as well. Mercedes may well threaten to take their ball away and there are some possible indications that Ferrari are unhappy with the way things are and how Masi is being allowed/encouraged to work. If Mercedes can get the Italians to side with them then the FIA will have no choice but to instigate change in how the sport works.

Changing the result is not really the agenda if any court case I feel (unless there is proof of something untoward; which there probably isn't) it is more making sure this doesn't happen again (and gaining more power overall whilst you are at it.)
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:42 am I guess if there is a rule within the rule book that says the race director can basically override anything and do as he pleases means that Merc haven’t really got a case to take against the FIA as all decisions are at the race directors discretion (no matter how strange they may or may not seem)
Masi changed his mind about the unlapping procedure after having Horner admitting he was screaming at him to "let them race". Masi will be binned off now as it will appear that you can just stamp your feet and get your own way.

It does beg the question why Masi seemed it okay to give Verstappen a clear run at Hamilton but the same courtesy wasn't applied to Sainz in 3rd was it from memory?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

smuts wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:04 pm It does beg the question why Masi seemed it okay to give Verstappen a clear run at Hamilton but the same courtesy wasn't applied to Sainz in 3rd was it from memory?
Yes, failed to be a sport when the guy in third is not given the chance to win that race. I've got to stop thinking about it because on a sporting level it makes absolutely no sense at all.

I cannot imagine Ferrari are happy about treated as second class citizens either.
EssexIron
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by EssexIron »

I read something this morning that said it would be like your football team being 2-0 up in the 85th minute and the ref suddenly deciding that to make the finish more exciting he's giving the other team 2 goals, sending off your keeper and declaring that the next goal wins.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

EssexIron wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:44 pm I read something this morning that said it would be like your football team being 2-0 up in the 85th minute and the ref suddenly deciding that to make the finish more exciting he's giving the other team 2 goals, sending off your keeper and declaring that the next goal wins.
I'd add to that, the Ref getting phoned up by Sky saying we need a decent end to the match and there being a rule in the game saying the ref can do what they like for the 'benefit of the sport.'
EssexIron
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by EssexIron »

I don't think there's any chance of Mercedes pulling out. A month or so back when VW were linked with buying McLaren Toto came out saying you'd be mad to sell at the moment. He's expecting the value of teams to sky rocket in the next few years.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

EssexIron wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:50 pm I don't think there's any chance of Mercedes pulling out. A month or so back when VW were linked with buying McLaren Toto came out saying you'd be mad to sell at the moment. He's expecting the value of teams to sky rocket in the next few years.
I disagree once it stops being a sport many people will lose interest, sponsors will lose interest and that potential growth slows, I for one will be reluctant to shell out over a grand to attend an 'entertainment event'. I don't think it will go to court in the end, they will be asked what can be done to make this 'right' and Mercedes will use it to get changes to the sport that favour them (I strongly doubt they will go after the result) and make sure they are financially stronger whilst they are at it.

Basically Liberty/Fia/FOM will have to pay Merc compensation to let this go (which is not Red Bulls fault at all, which is why the result will stand)
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Shouldn't it have been up to the race leader to decide when racing resumed s after the safety car? I'm sure that was the case previously.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

jastons wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:34 pm Shouldn't it have been up to the race leader to decide when racing resumed s after the safety car? I'm sure that was the case previously.
It is, however he did something yesterday that has never been done before and ignored the restart procedure because they didn't want the race to finish under the safety car, but in doing so decided to let 4 cars unlap in which as a result handed the title to Max (if he had restarted without any unlapping any cars, Lewis would have had a fighting chance to get round) . In essence he broke his own rules but he is covered by another rule that states the Race Director can ignore/change/break the rules if they want/like/deem it necessary.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 872 likes
Total likes: 850 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

So the rules of the Racing Director are pretty much “whatever the f*** I want them to be”
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:53 pm So the rules of the Racing Director are pretty much “whatever the **** I want them to be”
Certainly seems that way. At his discretion or not, I would love to hear his justification for the decisions made yesterday.