Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by Bend it like Repka »

jastons wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:31 pm When did not starting a race because of the rain become a thing?
You get the most boring track on the calendar, along comes some rain to give us a glimmer of excitement, and they not only hold off racing looking for dry weather, but they open with a rolling start!

Absolute ****ing rubbish. I was prepared to give Monaco another chance but it has to go. And the race directors as well. Killing any hopes of entertainment.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:14 pm , but they open with a rolling start!
Rolling start was due to a failure in the starting equipment and lights. Maybe they could have used a flag? Worked for 50+ years.
Bend it like Repka

wolf359 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:15 pm Rolling start was due to a failure in the starting equipment and lights. Maybe they could have used a flag? Worked for 50+ years.
f*** me. A multi million pound sport and they can't get a few light bulbs working.

Was it down for second rolling restart as well?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:27 pm

Was it down for second rolling restart as well?
Affirmative
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:14 pm You get the most boring track on the calendar, along comes some rain to give us a glimmer of excitement, and they not only hold off racing looking for dry weather, but they open with a rolling start!

Absolute ****ing rubbish. I was prepared to give Monaco another chance but it has to go. And the race directors as well. Killing any hopes of entertainment.
What Brundle said made sense regarding a grid start. He had been told that in wet conditions a restart from a grid would be heavily disadvantageous to the cars starting on the wet side of the track out of the dry natural racing line created by cars lifting the water off track.
Bend it like Repka

History is repeating itself with Ferrari. All the talk of Hamilton always having the best car, but Vettel and Ferrari should have beaten him at least once, only to throw countless points away through errors.

Charles can see the writing on the wall already.....
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Rays Rock wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:09 am What Brundle said made sense regarding a grid start. He had been told that in wet conditions a restart from a grid would be heavily disadvantageous to the cars starting on the wet side of the track out of the dry natural racing line created by cars lifting the water off track.
He did, but that wasn't the reason as I posted above. He also said 'tough ****' if it is unbalanced. Starts are unbalanced all the time. I feel there is a dangerous combination of micromanagement and incompetence at play here.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Well despite what I said the other day, I actually caught a good chunk of the highlights for Monaco. I was gonna turn it over but my little un seemed keen to watch so I stuck with it.

Was quite good, for Monaco. Nice to see that the crossing the yellow line on pit exit rule still being rigorously enforced. My little uns closing comment before bed "Dad, when is Verstappen going to get his penalty?" :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:40 pm I wonder if Alonso was making a subtle point about how ***** Monaco is as a motor racing track :winker:
Something along the lines of it doesnt matter how slow I go, there’s no way he’ll be able to overtake me on this track wasn’t it?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Some interesting stuff floating about this morning about Albon and ignoring Blue flags to Leclerc 16 times and being told Verstappen is 6 seconds behind and catching. Albon is still a Red Bull contracted driver, this needs to be looked into, massive conflict on interest. Disappointed in Williams to be honest, I hoped they were better than that.

All stinks (and before I get told, yes they are all as bad as each other, just that some seem shameless about it)
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

wolf359 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:43 am Some interesting stuff floating about this morning about Albon and ignoring Blue flags to Leclerc 16 times and being told Verstappen is 6 seconds behind and catching
That's incredible! I saw Albon hanging out with the Red Bull team before the start (during Brundle's grid walk IRC) - at a time when drivers are usually constructing their 'bubble' and getting their heads in gear - not fraternising with the opposition. I thought it was weird at the time, now it just looks terrible. Also, interesting comment right at the end of the clip which could be construed as incriminating, i.e. "shush, not in public".

I've always assumed that blue flags were very strictly enforced - but perhaps those are the ones we see on TV.

Sainz also mentioned being held up by a backmarker but I don't know who that was tbh. But when you think that there are Red Bull drivers, Alpha Tauri, and Albon all on the grid you have to wonder about the conflict of interests aspect.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Gaz wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:36 pm
Sainz also mentioned being held up by a backmarker but I don't know who that was tbh.
I've just read that it was Latifi, so I can rest a little easier, no conspiracy in this instance!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Yet some still try to justify Monaco being on the calendar

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Its becoming like cricket.....

A drop of rain and it stops play.

Pleased for Perez though.
Bend it like Repka

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:55 pm Its becoming like cricket.....

A drop of rain and it stops play.

Pleased for Perez though.
For once we can agree. As much as I hate Horner and Red Bull I enjoy Perez doing well. In fact it's added a new aspect, one or 2 DNFs for Max and let's see how team orders play out of Perez is ahead in the championship.....
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Glad to see Perez has signed a new deal with Red Bull which will keep him there for another two seasons. I'd love to see him win the title (with the bitter taste of seeing Horner celebrating again), because when you think he was on the cusp of being left without a drive when he was replaced by Vettel at what was then Racing Point, it would be a hell of a story, wouldn't it?

Of course, that now means Gasly won't be in the Red Bull any time soon - and I wouldn't be surprised to see McLaren eying him up if Ricciardo doesn't come to grips with that McLaren pretty sharpish.
Bend it like Repka

It's seems rules are constantly being rewritten for Red Bull.

Last year, drivers found out they were allowed to run people passing on the outside off the track after Max's defence in Brazil. Drivers noted they can now defend more stiffly than they thought.

Now you can touch the pit exit line, put a wheel right on it. You, me, the commentators, the drivers all thought it was a barrier not to be touched or there was an automatic penalty. Not any more. Expect to see other drivers adjusting their exits now.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-scand ... rejection/
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

The FIA really needs to get its act together if they want to ensure that they don’t continue to look a bit bent. Also, it can’t afford to piss off a giant like Ferrari after pissing off Mercedes.
Those 2 could quite easily pull their technical support to all the other teams it provides to and all that would be left would be Alpine, Red Bull and Alpha Tauri. They have the clout between them to start F1 elsewhere.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Rays Rock wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:53 pm The FIA really needs to get its act together if they want to ensure that they don’t continue to look a bit bent. Also, it can’t afford to piss off a giant like Ferrari after pissing off Mercedes.
Those 2 could quite easily pull their technical support to all the other teams it provides to and all that would be left would be Alpine, Red Bull and Alpha Tauri. They have the clout between them to start F1 elsewhere.
A break away possibility is very real, there (apparently) has been talks about ditching FIA and going alone, an number of teams, F1 and Liberty are not impressed with recent events and the attitude of the new president.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

All sorts of issues in FP1 in Baku, Merc porpoising is back in action, Ferrari bouncing up and down as well. Red Bull if a very iffy looking rear wing, flapping all over the place - teams already asking about is legality.

Oh look Horner the 'guest team principal' on Sky again.... :thdn: