Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by Gaz »

Nothing to see here, if the RB wing is found to be non-compliant then I'm sure the technical regulations will be updated.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Race weekend barely started and yet the whingeing and conspiracy theories are well underway.

Seriously, don't watch it if you don't like whats being served up......on and off the track. :thdn:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:23 am A break away possibility is very real, there (apparently) has been talks about ditching FIA and going alone, an number of teams, F1 and Liberty are not impressed with recent events and the attitude of the new president.

Saw that the FIA president has made public comments objecting to Seb, Lewis and Lando representing diversity, inclusion, sustainability and mental health. He’s not coming across very well so early in his tenure is he? Best focus on getting those earrings out.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:00 am Race weekend barely started and yet the whingeing and conspiracy theories are well underway.

Seriously, don't watch it if you don't like whats being served up......on and off the track. :thdn:
Good advice I think.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Gaz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:28 am Saw that the FIA president has made public comments objecting to Seb, Lewis and Lando representing diversity, inclusion, sustainability and mental health. He’s not coming across very well so early in his tenure is he? Best focus on getting those earrings out.
He's a tit. Clearly his background doesn't like the concept of free speech.
Bend it like Repka

Jesus the bouncing for Mercs, how can you drive at 200 mph like that?

Top 2 teams over a second ahead of everyone else..........
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:08 am He's a tit. Clearly his background doesn't like the concept of free speech.
I don’t really get the politics of the sport, but I assume he was chosen to attempt to get more races into and money out of the Middle East? The situation with drivers speaking out on issues of the day was already happening, I would have thought that they might have asked the new prez how he might deal with it.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1710 likes

Post by wolf359 »

EvilC wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:35 am I don’t really get the politics of the sport, but I assume he was chosen to attempt to get more races into and money out of the Middle East? The situation with drivers speaking out on issues of the day was already happening, I would have thought that they might have asked the new prez how he might deal with it.
Loving how Lewis and Seb seem to give absolutely no f racks about it either both are on a collision course with him. I feel his tenure might be short as president. Only takes a sponsor or two to side with the 'out spoken' drivers and curtains is not far away, the teams are unhappy with him and F1 and Liberty in general. He's not making friends. Also Lando is a bad boy for discussing Mental health, bloke is a dinosaur.

As for the track, the majority of the cars look horrible and I feel nothing will happen until a driver loses control and gets injured - how they can even see if beyond me. I love to know what part of RBs design can 'cure' porpoising in a way no other car can get close (I am not saying it is illegal or fishy - but it's happened before) it appears genius level (Newey I assume) engineering.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

They could cure the bouncing before final practice if they really wanted, raise the ride height and it will stop.

But they won't.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Wouldn't you be trading ground effect downforce though? Keep the bouncing, stay within a second, lose the bouncing lose another second or two.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

F2 race was worth a watch. Baku is a chaos magnet.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Gaz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:51 am Wouldn't you be trading ground effect downforce though? Keep the bouncing, stay within a second, lose the bouncing lose another second or two.
Yes, they will indeed lose some some downforce. They choose to prioritise speed over driver discomfort at the same time as saying 'something must be done about it'.

I suspect teams are looking to the FIA to sort it out as it's their solution to bring about closer racing (how's that working out?) that's causing the problem.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Arguably the best quali lap of the season from Leclerc.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Great lap from Charlie, love seeing them push it to the limit and brushing walls.

Lewis’s car is horrible it drive, experimental floor that has not hit the mark. Some of the best engineers on the planet and they are struggling (within the confines of no testing and budget cap). He’s being the ultimate team player though (even Rosberg has been saying it). But as usual he just gets grief.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes ... s-russell/

From article on the race - talking to Toto.

“Lewis has been trying some quite experimental parts of the car, and there was a different floor solution on his car that didn’t work,” he explained.

“The car was porpoising more and bottoming out to a degree that it became dangerous, and couldn’t extract the performance, so yes, it was a different spec.“
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Ferrari doing Ferrari things. Looks like this season is over.

Four Ferrari engines seemingly died. Italian engineering.

Season looks dead and over, I’m still amazed how Red Bull have done this, especially after last year.

Perez firm second driver today.

Good from George again, nice from Lewis in a car that is looking dangerous to drive, they have to fix it (even if they sacrifice performance).

AT threw points away, Yuki’s DRS failure was unusual. Not sure about the gaffer tape fix.

Some interesting tension between the McLaren pair, see how that develops.

Stroll and Latafi didn’t put it in a wall , surprised face.
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bend it like Repka

I've just watched the sky highlights, and most of it on FFwd. What happened to the close racing we were promised? Dull.

Ferrari are utterly blowing this. Shocking.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:52 pm I've just watched the sky highlights, and most of it on FFwd. What happened to the close racing we were promised? Dull.

Ferrari are utterly blowing this. Shocking.
I went with C4. FFWD in 15mins. From what I saw/heard the race looked pretty dull.

The only positive I could see was that the excellent Lee MacKenzie stood in for super-smug spunk trumpet Steve Jones and Mark Webber and Alice Powell are better as co-commentators than Coulthard.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

The way Red Bull have turned their season around is quite impressive! Their car is so much better now, then any other.
Only way to halt them now, is by enforcing the spending cap, and having them miss a few races towards the end of the season....
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

szola wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:16 am The way Red Bull have turned their season around is quite impressive! Their car is so much better now, then any other.
Only way to halt them now, is by enforcing the spending cap, and having them miss a few races towards the end of the season....
The only hope is the schedule, so many street tracks so far, only two more left (Canada and Singapore.) Smoother surfaces will help Ferraris egg shell engines and definiantly help Lewis's back!
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Adrian Newey is the only designer in F1 that was around the last time ground effect cars were in use. I expect his knowledge and sheer genius is the reason Red Bull are so far ahead.