Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by Gaz »

I also thought Mercedes were too cautious with their strategy, but then they are not used to strategising at the back.

Not diminishing Russell's race yesterday but there is a narrative that Russell is outperforming Lewis with those saying it failing to recognise that there were two completely different race contexts for them.

George lucked out a little bit in the opening lap gaining places, while Lewis was squeezed out by the Alpines (I think). Lewis had a slower pit stop and was nearly wiped out by Ocon's unsafe release, and then spent the rest of the race in an uncompetitive car behind Gasly, who incidentally couldn't make an impact on Albon all race, even though he had DRS and Albon didn't. George had a fairly lonely race but had the benefit of driving in clear air for the most part.

Again, well done to George but the team mate comparison in this case is not cut and dried. No doubt the car is a turkey though. The car needs to improve, if it does Lewis will find his mojo and I predict the Mercs will be consistently the 3rd fastest by the time we come back from the summer break.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Overall we had not much action apart from Leclerc dropping it. Max drove a lights to flag win by 16 seconds over his inferior team mate. Next car was Norris miles back.

Unless they crash, nearly all races will either be won by Max or Charles this year.

Is the racing really any better for these new regulations?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1001606/1 ... sore-necks

Can't say I'm surprised at this. Those cars look awful yo drive. I think we all want to see drivers really having to drive their cars. Too often in recent times they have looked too easy to control. However, these bucking broncos just look ridiculous at times. Cartoonish.

I want to see Verstappen and Co leaving big black lines behind them and struggling to slow their cars down, not looking like zebedee on amphetamines down the straights.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

It's like footballers complaining about the state of a pitch.

It's not like they've been asked to carry their annual salaries around the track in a bin liner.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

And footballers would have every right to complain about the state of the pitch if it was like a ploughed field and they ran a greater risk than normal of injuring themselves.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/motorsp ... d064fd46e1

The Mercs expecting upgrades in time for Miami.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

They bloody need them.
A 7 times World Champion deserves better than lumping around midfield.

Also, Jos Verstappen needs to wind his neck in, lording it over Lewis as Max lapped him at Imola.
Fed up seeing his cheesy grin at every GP.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I can't pretend I was happy with the result on Sunday. Red Bull are proving themselves to be unlikeable as both winners and losers, they have no grace whatever the situation. Was a bad performace from Ferrari all round. They need to sort themselves out if they are not to blow this.

Desperate to see Merc sort themselves out. Tired already with the Hamilton pile on at various message boards...
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Allow me to summarise F1 content on Twitter to save you the bother; "Lewis only won because he had the best car, Max wins because he is the GOAT." This is the sort of immature debate that the new DtS generation are spouting.

It is really very simple; you need a good car and a good driver to consistently win races. The best drivers usually end up in the best teams. It's a bit like why you never see Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo moving to Watford or Burnley.
westham,eggyandchips

Gaz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:15 pm Allow me to summarise F1 content on Twitter to save you the bother; "Lewis only won because he had the best car, Max wins because he is the GOAT." This is the sort of immature debate that the new DtS generation are spouting.

It is really very simple; you need a good car and a good driver to consistently win races. The best drivers usually end up in the best teams. It's a bit like why you never see Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo moving to Watford or Burnley.
Twitter isn't real.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:28 pm Twitter isn't real.
Exactly.
You'd never find that sort of nonsense on here :zippy:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I think F1 as a whole - the FIA, the rule makers - have made a ricket with the new rule changes in all honesty. The effect on porpoising on ground effect cars has been known since the 1980s, and physics hasn't changed since then.

For me, it doesn't make for a good spectacle seeing cars boinging up and down on the straights at high-speeds - and I include all teams in that, because not has eradicated it.

Seeing the onboard footage of the drivers in their cockpits from Ferrari to Williams, being jolted about as they are bombing along are makes me feel uncomfortable, so f*** knows what it must be like for them.

Don't get me wrong, some of the racing has been ok, but it's still been a procession for the most part in the first four races, and all that's really changed is the livery of one of the front runners from black/silver to red. I've no issue with that per se, but what has really changed based on the evidence so far? We've still got two drivers streets ahead of the others right now, we've still only got one World Champion towards the top of the standings, with the other champions plodding along towards the rear.

I'm not being pro Mercedes, anti Red Bull or Ferrari - team colours don't come in to this - what does come in to it is the fact the rule makers have changed the rules to, in my opinion, to little or no effect at this current time.

If these ground effect cars are supposedly that easier to follow and overtake, then do away with DRS - because otherwise, it is going to render the new regulations pretty pointless - because from where I'm sitting, the biggest change I've seen thus far is a change in the status quo - well, half of it at least - which I suspect, as has been the case many times before when McLaren, Williams, and Ferrari and Red Bull were clearing up all in front of them at various points in time - is what these regulations were actually about.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Has it not been a case of rules change to basically stop a manufacturer from winning constantly. The rule changes years back elevated Mercedes to the top, the same as the rule changes have no elevated Ferrari to the top.

To be fair it does seem cars can definitely follow a lot better, the issue is still that following close doesn’t mean it’s a guaranteed overtake - it looks like only red bull pretty much have the speed to overtake anyone without DRS as they have a great straight line speed.

When cars are evenly matched without DRS I doubt there would be many overtakes. Generally overtakes are happening only when there’s a tyre advantage.

I wish we could bring back refuelling as I believe this would make a difference and allow more overtaking when cars are lighter / heavier.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It's not just aero changes that have banjaxed Mercedes, there has been an important engine rule change too. Part of the turbo system, the MGU-H (Motor Generator Unit - Heat) has gone. This recovered energy from the turbocharger spinning on overrun and also spun it up at low revs, improving low down power. Judging by how much power MB have lost compared to the rest, it must have been an important part of their power advantage in previous seasons.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:17 pm It's not just aero changes that have banjaxed Mercedes, there has been an important engine rule change too. Part of the turbo system, the MGU-H (Motor Generator Unit - Heat) has gone. This recovered energy from the turbocharger spinning on overrun and also spun it up at low revs, improving low down power. Judging by how much power MB have lost compared to the rest, it must have been an important part of their power advantage in previous seasons.
Not too mention the new sliding scale on wind tunnel time. Merc have the least currently. Haas has getting on for 200 hours more.

Designed to shuffle the pack with the full effect not yet felt as we await the development race to really kick off.

https://www.formu1a.uno/f1-2022-mercede ... -haas-460/
westham,eggyandchips

If the Merc had just managed a 1-2 and was sitting top of both standings there wouldn't be a peep out of anyone about new cars/regs.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:48 am If the Merc had just managed a 1-2 and was sitting top of both standings there wouldn't be a peep out of anyone about new cars/regs.
Really? You believe that? I get you hate Lewis but you cannot honestly think that.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:48 am If the Merc had just managed a 1-2 and was sitting top of both standings there wouldn't be a peep out of anyone about new cars/regs.
No, of course there wouldn't.

f*** sake...
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

k-r-c wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:53 pm

When cars are evenly matched without DRS I doubt there would be many overtakes. Generally overtakes are happening only when there’s a tyre advantage.

TBH, there's not really been that much overtaking with DRS has there? Especially with the cars being able to run much closer. Half a dozen cars running within the DRS zone of the one in front with DRS me and all cars behind with it too, it to me makes DRS pointless.

Ditch it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

People complain about rule changes in F1 every year.