Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

:muscle:
last.caress wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:13 pm I've now done the first three seasons of Stranger Things. Enjoyed the third season quite a lot more than either of the previous two. The "Goonies meets Stephen King" aesthetic is becoming a wee bit tiresome though tbh. Never been a big fan of films or shows where plucky kids on BMXs are the heroes, even when I was a mouthy little b*stard on a Raleigh Grifter, which is the closest I ever got to being a plucky kid on a BMX.

Series 4 will blow your mind
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Blimey, that episode of BCS was a nerve-shredder!
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

Just watched RUSH about the Hunt Lauda rivalry. My Old Man loved motor racing & I spent most Sundays down at Brands Hatch with the occasional trip to Silverstone or Donnington. I remember having a poster on my wall of all the F1 Champions. He even tried to get me into go-karting.

Of course, as soon as I hit 13 I lost interest because breakdancing & body popping was more important than anything else.

But I vaguely remember these events. As well as the terrible joke "What's the last name of that racing driver, Niki something?"

"Lauda"

"WHAT'S THE NAME OF THAT RACING DRIVER, NIKI SOMETHING?"
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm caught up now with both The Boys and Stranger Things, both thoroughly enjoyable.

Not sure whats next but I'll probably jump back in to some obscure foreign series.
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:00 am I'm caught up now with both The Boys and Stranger Things, both thoroughly enjoyable.

Not sure whats next but I'll probably jump back in to some obscure foreign series.
Last night I started watching a dubbed Spanish show called Alba. It's pretty good.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The one I had in mind was the Korean Netflix series, 'Taxi Driver'.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Very late to the party here, but over the last two days have binged series 1 of Stranger Things

Don’t know why we’ve left this alone for so long but it is right up my street and hooked very quickly. Love the soundtrack which reminds me of John Carpenter a lot and the choice of music such as Joy Division’s Atmosphere is pitch perfect.
Sheriff Hopper is my favourite character and it’s also good to see Wynona Ryder again.
Looking forward to devouring the next three series.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

Eastcote wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:26 pm The Terminal Liat on Amazon, if its been asked before sorry, is it any good? Watched the first episode typical Seal team heroics, Should I bother to watch the rest or search again?
That’s the only episode (just started episode 4) that is like that - the 2 others I’ve watched move in a different direction.

If you Watch the second at least, the 3rd follows on in that vein.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Three episodes into season 4 of Stranger Things now and they've definitely gone through the gears. It's always been a show which has worn it's influences on its sleeve and, this season (so far), it's leaning into some Carrie vibes, and also some Hellraiser and A Nightmare on Elm St. vibes too, along with its regular riffs on Elfen Lied, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, The Goonies et cetera. It's gone from a supernatural sci-fi show with a splash of horror to a supernatural horror show with a splash of sci-fi. And, imho, is all the better for it. For me at least, the show has improved season upon season. It's short of being a bona fide all-time classic in my book but I'm glad I stuck with it this time.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

last.caress wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:12 am Three episodes into season 4 of Stranger Things now and they've definitely gone through the gears. It's always been a show which has worn it's influences on its sleeve and, this season (so far), it's leaning into some Carrie vibes, and also some Hellraiser and A Nightmare on Elm St. vibes too, along with its regular riffs on Elfen Lied, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, The Goonies et cetera. It's gone from a supernatural sci-fi show with a splash of horror to a supernatural horror show with a splash of sci-fi. And, imho, is all the better for it. For me at least, the show has improved season upon season. It's short of being a bona fide all-time classic in my book but I'm glad I stuck with it this time.
You forgot Silence of the Lambs :winker:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Not really surprised by this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62226912
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:11 am Not really surprised by this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62226912
:newthumb: We'll almost certainly be ditching Netflix after the final episodes of Better Call Saul have aired. It's nothing that Netflix have done wrong, it's just that we can't really afford more than one streaming subscription service at a time (on top of the wife's Amazon Prime account). We can't run Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, NowTV, Hulu, Apple TV+, Paramount+ etc etc, so we're going to focus on one service at a time depending on what they're showing, run with that one for awhile, ditch it once we've seen what we want to see, move to another, and so on.

As soon as I've dropped Netflix I will probably go to Paramount so's I can catch Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and the fourth season of Star Trek: Discovery. Once Disney+ has aired season 3 of The Mandalorian I'll pick that back up and, while I have it again, I'll catch up on any Marvel shows I might be behind on (I'm caught up as far as Moon Knight atm). If and when Sky Atlantic air that Game of Thrones prequel I'll rejoin NowTV to try and catch that, depending on how it's received I guess. That's the general plan, anyway.
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

The Holiday - Netflix

Was number 3 in the Top 10, so, with nothing to watch at the moment, thought we would give it a go.

Utter tripe. I hope this stops others from contemplating watching it
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Cheers Baron, was on the list.

Girl in the Picture and My daughter's Killer are two we have watched recently and enjoyed - as much as you can 'enjoy' child abduction and murder. :nonpl:
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:19 pm The Holiday - Netflix

Was number 3 in the Top 10, so, with nothing to watch at the moment, thought we would give it a go.

Utter tripe. I hope this stops others from contemplating watching it
As in the Christmas movie? You're only allowed to watch and indeed enjoy them in December.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Anyone watched the new Resident Evil series? I’ve not started it yet, but I’m trepidatious.
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Denzil wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:58 pm As in the Christmas movie?
Nah its a mini series with the Geordie Halfpenny girl in it.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

simonpaulthomas wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:04 pm Anyone watched the new Resident Evil series? I’ve not started it yet, but I’m trepidatious.
After seeing it had a 3.7/10 on IMDb I decided against it.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

'stone hammer wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:14 pm After seeing it had a 3.7/10 on IMDb I decided against it.
I read one of the reviews say it is the worse thing Netflix have ever made.
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Wow, that takes some doing.