Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

vietnammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:19 am Joker - have to finish it today cos at barely 25 minutes in Mrs found it too upsetting (she works with 'disturbed' people), crying and all. Think it picked up a lot of criticism from professionals but Joaqim's got me fascinated.

I thought this was excellent

I gave it a swerve for a long time as I’m not a fan of all these Avengers, Marvel & Superhero films

The odd one like The Dark Knight I liked so thought another Batman film “ Yawn “

But found the angle storyline it went for was excellent as was Joaquin Phoenix
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Spanish series (translated into English) on Netflix called Wrong Side of the Tracks (original title Entrevias).

It's a bit like Harry Brown but less violent. Ex army grouchy old bloke lives in a neighbourhood that's gone to the dogs & his grandaughter gets involved in the local drug scene.

Complete with dodgy cops, good cops, crazy Cuban mamas, immigrants etc etc.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Shabu wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:49 am Spanish series (translated into English) on Netflix called Wrong Side of the Tracks (original title Entrevias).

It's a bit like Harry Brown but less violent. Ex army grouchy old bloke lives in a neighbourhood that's gone to the dogs & his grandaughter gets involved in the local drug scene.

Complete with dodgy cops, good cops, crazy Cuban mamas, immigrants etc etc.
It's actually really good. Dodgy dubbing but I'm enjoying it a lot.
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

Whitters wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 pm Finished Ozark

No spoilers but I'm sad to know it has now ended, one of my favourite series of recent years
Just got Netflix thrown in with my cheap Virgin renewal.
I’ve been looking for some series to watch, we’re not in to fantasy, sci-fi, like game of thrones etc.
Just watched the first 4 episodes of Ozark, season 1. Both really liking it so far, hoping it doesn’t drop off a cliff as some series do.
Any other suggestions for Netflix series? After we have hopefully watched all 44! episodes of Ozark.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

thosewerethedays wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:38 pm Any other suggestions for Netflix series?
Breaking Bad and its prequel spin-off Better Call Saul are essential, really. Narcos and follow-up Narcos: Mexico are bloody good. The British masterpiece Top Boy is required viewing too (be sure to watch Top Boy: Summerhouse first though since that one came first). :newthumb:
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

thosewerethedays wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:38 pm Just got Netflix thrown in with my cheap Virgin renewal.
First timers TWTD?

As our learned friend Elsie points out you must try BB, BCS and the Narcos series. Sex Education was well received, but we haven't watched that yet.

I've had a go at trying to remember stuff from over the years that wasn't Fantasy / Sci-Fi, in no particular preferential order but I've * some to try first - and I bet I've missed loads that we have talked about in this thread ..........

Series :
Money Heist
The Killing
The Sinner
Mindhunter
Derek / After Life
When they see us *
Seven Seconds

Sports Docs :
The Last Dance *
Sunderland til I die
Losers
Dawn Wall
Drive to Survive

Docs :
Making a Murderer *
The Staircase *
The Keepers
Wild Wild Country
Frye Festival
Behind the curve
Abducted in plain sight *
An Innocent Man
Evil Genius
The Puppet Master *
Donk f*ck with cats *

Say goodbye to your summer and report back :)
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Jonah has given you some brilliant suggestions [ I particularly enjoyed Mindhunter ] -

I would add ' Stranger Things ' [ new series coming very soon ] + ' Pieces Of Her ' .
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
I might have to keep them to myself for the summer and just mention them sequentially over the dark nights of the winter, otherwise I don’t think we will see the light of day for about a year.
Alternatively, I could just hide the remote.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Jonah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:16 pm
Docs :
Making a Murderer *

The fallout from this was hilarious over here. Bloke was obviously guilty & this "documentary" skipped so much evidence just to try to portray him as innocent.

People here were outraged. And by people I mean white middle America. There was lots of hand wringing & high expectations that he would be released soon.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Jonah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:16 pm

Abducted in plain sight *

This is a must watch - jaw dropping :shock: :lol:
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Shabu wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:36 pm The fallout from this was hilarious over here. Bloke was obviously guilty & this "documentary" skipped so much evidence just to try to portray him as innocent.
I followed the fallout closely at the time, before and after the 1st and 2nd series and still to this day with Zellner whipping stuff up - and while I have no doubt he is a wrong un and not right in the head - I wouldn't have said he is obviously guilty. Of course that's only seeing from the docs and internet when they released the case files. Be interested in any sites you can point me at that back up everything from the prosecution.

The complete incompetence from the MSD / Kratz team in either the Dassey confession, questionable evidence handling and flatly refusing to look elsewhere for other evidence despite other lines of enquiry being available......

Complete stitch up IMO. :)
Walsall Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Walsall Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:36 pm Jonah has given you some brilliant suggestions [ I particularly enjoyed Mindhunter ] -

I would add ' Stranger Things ' [ new series coming very soon ] + ' Pieces Of Her ' .
Agreed, some great suggestions, i'd add Delhi Crime and Unorthodox for a TV series and Malice at the Palace for a sports documentary.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I have never watched a minute of Breaking Bad. Given that Better Call Saul is a prequel, which should I watch first?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Shabu wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:36 pm The fallout from this was hilarious over here. Bloke was obviously guilty & this "documentary" skipped so much evidence just to try to portray him as innocent.

People here were outraged. And by people I mean white middle America. There was lots of hand wringing & high expectations that he would be released soon.
You mean like OJ with a different result?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Regarding Steven Avery, this notion that there is ‘loads of evidence’ that was left out has itself become a bit of a trope. I’ve followed this case since watching it originally, only yesterday I read Zellner’s latest reply to the State’s motion to ‘stay and remand’.

The USA is backwards in so many ways, the justice system is just another example. A system designed to keep people in prison regardless of their guilt. The fact that Avery spent 18 years in prison for a crime he was completely exonerated of and suing the county over and one of the main pieces of evidence in the Halbach case was found on the third search by an officer who was at the time under investigation for his part in the first conviction and wasn’t even allowed to be involved should be enough in itself to have the conviction thrown out!

Still, it’s just ‘White middle America’ :asleep:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Stranger Things S4 is out today.

The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

jastons wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:34 pm I have never watched a minute of Breaking Bad. Given that Better Call Saul is a prequel, which should I watch first?
You need to watch Breaking Bad first to appreciate and to quite an extent understand Better Call Saul.
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Aye, without a doubt you have to do BB first.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

The Terminator wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:23 am You need to watch Breaking Bad first to appreciate and to quite an extent understand Better Call Saul.
Is that actually true though?

The fact is there will barely be anyone out there who has done BCS first and Breaking Bad second. Well, it's impossible to have done so in their entirety so far considering BCS hasn't finished yet.

Considering Vince Gilligan's utter genius, I wouldn't be at all surprised if, when they are both finished, you can do them in any order and one enriches the other equally.
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

jastons wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:34 pm I have never watched a minute of Breaking Bad. Given that Better Call Saul is a prequel, which should I watch first?
Oh and don't forget El Camino.