Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by S-H »

The Puppet Master - Hunting the Ultimate Conman

One of those, that you just can't stop watching.

Unbelievable!!

:shock:
S-H

Post by S-H »

^^ Finished this last night..

Without doubt one of the craziest things I've ever watched!

Unbelievable!!!!!
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Stay Close - I gave up after less than half an hour. I will admit it was confusing. It was like I tuned into an episode of The Bill midway. I just had so many questions.

Instead I started a series called Evil. A psychologist and trainee priest team up to investigate cases of demonic possession and try to find the logical explanations behind each case. It is a bit like X-Files I suppose. I like it very much after one episode. Think it is on Alibi on Sky so perhaps should be in other thread!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

The Protégé - Amazon, action flick, based around assassins, good cast, turn brain off film and just be entertained, some soppy bits as you get in these films but a decent watch overall.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:13 am Stay Close - I gave up after less than half an hour.
I read the book a few years ago, good not great. I watched the first two episodes and started the third and switched off when those two started dancing. As in the series, the book comprises of three main storylines, the wife's being by far the least interesting; unfortunately the series, at least in the first two episodes, decided to feature mainly that story.
The extremely eccentric sadistic killer couple was pretty odd in the book, but it doesn't translate onto TV in the slightest, looks edgy for the sake of being edgy.

However, I've just watched the first episode of the 4th series of Ozark. Feels like we're in for another decent series.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Recently re-watched seasons 1-3 of The Sinner on Netflix.

Only to discover that Season 4 is released on Wednesday!

Perfect!!
S-H

Post by S-H »

Also, 6 episodes into season 6 of Ozark...

ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:50 pm I've done two episodes and it felt tired.
Gervais is a talented bloke who can in Afterlife conceive a series of both funny and sensitive scenarios (the final scene of the final episode of series 3 is genuinely moving). The issue I have is Gervais’ inability to thread these funny and moving set pieces/vignettes into a compelling story.

In terms of story The Office is a million miles ahead of Afterlife. Perhaps Gervais misses his writing partner?
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I watched the first 2 episodes of season 3 of Afterlife. Those saccharine video footage scenes of him and his wife are just too much.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

ironilunga wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 am Gervais is a talented bloke who can in Afterlife conceive a series of both funny and sensitive scenarios (the final scene of the final episode of series 3 is genuinely moving). The issue I have is Gervais’ inability to thread these funny and moving set pieces/vignettes into a compelling story.

In terms of story The Office is a million miles ahead of Afterlife. Perhaps Gervais misses his writing partner?
A few years ago I listened to the Gervais/Merchant XFM files on youtube, and I swear to god that just about every joke, sketch idea and show idea randomly popped out of Karl Pilkington's mouth at one point or another. Gervais and Merchant are talented blokes, but they had a muse who inspired at least a decade's material for them.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

the out takes are hilarious
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Gangs of New York - this is just magnificent viewing.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Watched a couple of films on Netflix last night:

Don't Look Up - Disappointed. From the cast and director (loved The Big Short) I felt it should've delivered more. Much of the satire was so ridiculous that I didn't find it funny, just painfully unrealistic. It didn't help that Leo and Jennifer Lawrence's characters were thoroughly unlikable.

The Platform - Bit late to the party on this one. A ridiculous premise (but good metaphor for society) and thoroughly entertaining film.
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:31 am ^^ Finished this last night..

Without doubt one of the craziest things I've ever watched!

Unbelievable!!!!!
Did this in one sitting last night.

Was, as said, unbelievable...i had to google it to make sure it was true!

This is one amazing guy..he's either a great manipulator or he picks his Johns very carefully??

I can't believe anyone would be 'on the run' for so long without checking anything ???

Well worth a watch if you haven't and spare a thought for those duped.....how do they live their lives knowing they were so stupid ???
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

In 2020 we watched a series loosely based on the life of Catherine The Great called ' The Great ' - it starred Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult as the two main characters , Catherine and Peter but the whole cast contributes towards making this series one of the best I've ever seen .

Season Two came along this year but we had to subscribe to one of those additional channels that have cropped up on Amazon Prime to watch it - [ Starzplay ] -

If you're tired of watching run of the mill or sub-par shyte then I suggest you watch ' The Great ' .

It's grrrrr.....nah , I won't do it .
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:37 am In 2020 we watched a series loosely based on the life of Catherine The Great called ' The Great ' - it starred Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult as the two main characters , Catherine and Peter but the whole cast contributes towards making this series one of the best I've ever seen .

Season Two came along this year but we had to subscribe to one of those additional channels that have cropped up on Amazon Prime to watch it - [ Starzplay ] -

If you're tired of watching run of the mill or sub-par shyte then I suggest you watch ' The Great ' .

It's grrrrr.....nah , I won't do it .
watched the 1st series, which was very good , i will wait for it to turn up on All4 , im not paying for anymore channels
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

chigwells finest wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:15 am watched the 1st series, which was very good , i will wait for it to turn up on All4 , im not paying for anymore channels
Understand what you mean - was my Mrs' idea to sign up solely to watch ' The Great ' - think we did all 10 episodes of S2 in 2 months so total cost was £10 .

At the time of subscription there was hardly anything on worth watching then around two weeks back we were inundated with loads of good stuff to watch .

The good news is there's a Third Season in the making possibly airing later this year .

So many brilliant characters I'd be hard pushed to choose my favourite - Velementov [ Douglas Hodge ] , Archie - the Archbishop [ Adam Godley ] , Aunt Elizabeth [ Belinda Bromilow ] , Orlo [ Sacha Dhawan ] , Dr Vinodel [ Julian Barratt ] , Grigor and Marial [ Gwilym Lee and Phoebe Fox ] - if I had to choose just one I'd maybe go for Belinda Bromilow's performance as Aunt Elizabeth but that would be a disservice to the others , they are all superb - the settings and the costumes just add to the sumptuousness of it all .
S-H

Post by S-H »

Started watching Archive 81 last night..

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Sorry to ask, but is Stay Close in fact a clever send up of programmes of this genre?

Not so much a suspension of disbelief, more like dropping a nuclear bomb on it instead.

And what on earth's all that about in terms of Nesbitt's eyebrows? He looks absolutely ridiculous.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

S-H wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:28 am Started watching Archive 81 last night..

Didn’t quite sustain it’s early promise for me but still very watchable. Hope it gets a second season.