Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by smuts »

I think you could easily do BCS first...you just have to appreciate that the first 3 seasons are quite slow paced and don't have a lot to do with the core BB plot.

Mind you, some of BCS is set after BB... :think:
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Stranger Things 4 absolutely ripping it. A lot darker than before, but it is amazing
smuts

Post by smuts »

ST 4...blimey the last few minutes were a bit full on..
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I have not seen a single Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul episode. I’m kinda thinking it’s about time I did some catching up.
I’ve not seen The Wire or Stranger Things either.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Interesting to note that despite its popularity amongst the members here, BCS loses audience with every new season in the States.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:08 am I have not seen a single Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul episode. I’m kinda thinking it’s about time I did some catching up.
I’ve not seen The Wire or Stranger Things either.
The Wire is the supreme show - the very best TV show ever made.

I am tempted to have a Saul/Bad binge, after the end of BCS, to watch it all over again, but haven't yet decided which way around to do it.

Stranger Things is nowhere near the level of these shows, in my opinion. It deserves a cult following, for sure, but the other shows are amongst the finest TV ever made.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Better Call Saul, like The Wire and The Sopranos before it, is something I quickly gave up on. Couldn't get into it.

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:03 pm Better Call Saul, like The Wire and The Sopranos before it, is something I quickly gave up on. Couldn't get into it.
It's interesting that, because those shows are amongst the programmes that I actually watch.

I can't be bothered with nearly all other television; the missus went away between Weds and Sunday last week. She turned the TV off on the Tuesday night.

She turned it on again on the following Sunday evening.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:26 pm It's interesting that, because those shows are amongst the programmes that I actually watch.

I can't be bothered with nearly all other television; the missus went away between Weds and Sunday last week. She turned the TV off on the Tuesday night.

She turned it on again on the following Sunday evening.
Pretty similar here.

I've watched Barry on demand, and I'll watch the play off final this afternoon. That's about it, TV wise. Didn't even watch last night's game.

Normally we have every soap opera, even have the daily one on RIK , which is a TV channel in Cyprus. The only ones that don't get an airing are Hollyoaks and Eastenders. She's away for a few days.

It's pyramid in structure and, realistically, the base of worldwide television is utter dross.

I put the writers of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul at the very pinnacle; they created a brilliant story - Breaking Bad - but broke new ground with the prequel - it fits into the footprint of the earlier show, but they've somehow still managed to interweave real suspense, even shock.

I think they've pioneered something.

Whereas, as much as I do love The Sopranos, the ball was well and truly fumbled with what the family here called the dreadful Many Saints feature film.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:21 pm It's pyramid in structure and, realistically, the base of worldwide television is utter dross.

I put the writers of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul at the very pinnacle; they created a brilliant story - Breaking Bad - but broke new ground with the prequel - it fits into the footprint of the earlier show, but they've somehow still managed to interweave real suspense, even shock.

I think they've pioneered something.

Whereas, as much as I do love The Sopranos, the ball was well and truly fumbled with what the family here called the dreadful Many Saints feature film.
Breaking Bad was excellent as was The Wire which I very recently finished. BCS is on the list to watch.

there's several other tv shows, for one reason or another I have taken a real liking to.

I read and read and read The Sopranos was up there with them. I have tried to watch S1E1 I think threee times now and can't get past about 15 minutes of it.

as for the Many Saints or whatever it was called, it was so awful I actually turned it off and binned it after maybe 20 minutes.

I also didn't think that much of El Camino to be honest.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Ok , this won't go down well....

I found The Wire and The Sopranos dated and cliched as hell - the fact that the lead actor of The Wire was the baddie from Johnny English and the crazy Doctor from Brassic put me right off too , then I found out about his affair with Lily James and now I hate him .
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Finally finished Ozark

Brilliantly done, I think.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:26 pm
I read and read and read The Sopranos was up there with them. I have tried to watch S1E1 I think threee times now and can't get past about 15 minutes of it.
I would say that with The Sopranos that first episode is a bit different to the rest. Give it one or two more episodes because that's when the real character of the series comes out. It only really gives a hint of what is to come once you get to know the characters.

It has probably been surpassed by a few shows since, but what you see in the Sopranos (and The Wire) really set the framework for all tv after it.
smuts

Post by smuts »

S-H wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:37 pm Finally finished Ozark

Brilliantly done, I think.
Started watching it finally today. Season 1 episode 1.

Great so far. The bloke his missus was having an affair with...
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Heard Kate Bush blaring from my daughter's room this morning, which was bizarre. Her disdain for any music pre 2009 is militant. I understand Stranger Things is the reason for this. I haven't watched any of these shows, but I am grateful to the program for cracking that stubborn daughter of mine.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Since we're allowed to talk about 'old' shows on here, been bingeing Narcos (S1) and know I'm near the end cos of the timeline.
Pretty shocking at times, and not just the visuals, it's the behaviour. Also it gets you thinking about what is 'just' and what is 'unjust' and in what gringo terms are you judging (though pretty much the narcs are the baddies). it shows human, loving, humorous sides as well as how 'good' people turn heartless. Shows enough background to explain that in a country with massive inequalities and grinding poverty, people can be desperate to find any escape.
But, the running argument is, does organised crime simply exacerbate and extend those inequalities by corrupting everyone else. Had a Columbian student a few years back who was pissed off with the series because he thought it stereotyped Colombia as a crime-ridden ****hole.
Also, in Spanish with English subtitles I've learned some new Spanish words, not all of them savoury (so, is it Marico or Marica - the guys seem to use both...)
Will certainly dive into S2 (sin Escobar, I suppose).
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

smuts wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:28 pm Started watching it finally today. Season 1 episode 1.

Great so far. The bloke his missus was having an affair with...
Enjoy! One of the best pilot episodes imo. Had me completely hooked.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Just finished the first episode of Stranger Things Series 4 :shock:

I'm excited to watch the rest. I wasn't overly impressed with series 3, though it had its moments, but this one looks promising.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

'stone hammer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:21 pm Just finished the first episode of Stranger Things Series 4 :shock:

I'm excited to watch the rest. I wasn't overly impressed with series 3, though it had its moments, but this one looks promising.
They have certainly thrown a lot of money at this season. Plus it's more action packed. Some gruesome scenes but all the more better for it. I did like Series 3 and the nostalgia. The only thing lacking is a banging soundtrack but I guess The Duffer Brothers aren't big on music