Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by Jonah »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:04 pm I try and stay clear of those type of documentaries... they're never particularly balanced - especially the health related ones.

I put these two on my watchlist a couple of days back so I'd be interested to know what you think.
Yeh sorry the comment was meant very tongue in cheek as I know you've highlighted those reasons on another thread. Much like Mrs J, she'll never give up the Cheese, Prosciutto and Prawns.

As for Keep Breathing, I finished this yesterday while doing some painting - while it won't win any awards, and it seems to lose itself halfway through (too many flashbacks for my liking making it very much like a Lost lite) It didn't finish too badly, enough to grab my attention and delay finishing the painting anyway :) 6/10
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Prey on Disney plus.

The new Predator movie.

No spoilers but it is superb
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

We've just finished Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 on Netflix.

It's a 3 part documentary about how a music festival gradually turned into a riot with arson and looting across the site, plus reported rapes and other assaults. The main cause appeared to be poor organisation, but the organisers were in complete denial.

It starts slowly but builds to quite a crescendo.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

southbrishammer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:58 am We've just finished Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 on Netflix.

It's a 3 part documentary about how a music festival gradually turned into a riot with arson and looting across the site, plus reported rapes and other assaults. The main cause appeared to be poor organisation, but the organisers were in complete denial.

Seen the first two episodes. I reckon the events quite deeply affected Norman Cook.

As someone states: it was like one of the outer circles of hell that festival; some really unpleasant stuff came to the surface.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

First three episodes of Sandman on Netflix. Pretty good so far.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

southbrishammer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:58 am We've just finished Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 on Netflix.

Watching this now.

First I've ever heard about Woodstock 99

Crazy stuff.

Bloody Yanks.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Halfway through Carter (S.Korea) on Netflix. A truly insane film... the action (and violence) is non-stop, the camera-work is dizzying, and the set-pieces are utterly ludicrous. There's more than a few moments of horrendous CGI but despite this, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It seems to me like it's obviously inspired by Hardcore Henry. It's very much like a video game. I'd say give it a go if you liked Hardcore Henry - and don't take it seriously.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:52 am Prey on Disney plus.

The new Predator movie.

No spoilers but it is superb
Great isn't it?

For the first time since the Glover movie a decent Predator film :scarfer:
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Yep, I watched Prey last night and really enjoyed it too. Finally a Predator movie that lives up to the series’ potential.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Prey is brilliant.

Flown under the radar somewhat.

Good stuff.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

S-H wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:55 am Prey is brilliant.

Flown under the radar somewhat.

Good stuff.
Don’t know about that. It’s been advertised heavily and massively praised. I’ll be watching it tonight, looking forward to it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

thought it was "good" not brilliant. good story. the bear CGI was dreadful. really dreadful

moved along with a decent pace, but I felt a little underwhelmed at the end to be honest.

would recommend it but not with gusto so to speak.
S-H

Post by S-H »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:54 pm Don’t know about that. It’s been advertised heavily and massively praised. I’ll be watching it tonight, looking forward to it.
We've only just got colour TV down here..

:D
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

OK so I finished the last hour of the film 'Carter' on Netflix, a South Korean action film directed by Byung-gil Jung (The Villainess)

Like I said earlier - an utterly insane and incredibly violent film. Reminded me a lot of Hardcore Henry. Ludicrous story, and utterly implausible throughout - but I don't think the film-makers cared. It's not that kind of film. It's almost like watching a live action video game.

It's been very badly reviewed... described by some as completely unwatchable due to the dizzying camera work and visual style - and described by others as the worst action film ever made!

It's been made to look like one long cut - that's been done before and normally they do a good job at hiding the stitching of cuts. The stitching is plain to see here though, almost as if they didn't even bother trying to hide it. There's some very bad editing going on.

The CGI is horrendous in many places - especially the fire and explosions. Very cheap looking. It's a shame because an awful lot of effort has gone into the making of this film and a hell of a lot of stuntwork. I suspect the post-production work may have been rushed somewhat. It has an unfinished feel to it. Maybe they were struggling with the budget a little too.

Despite the claim it's unwatchable, and despite the fact there's a lot about it that's pretty terrible, and despite the fact the end product can only be described as a total mess, I found it all quite mesmerising and happily sat through the whole film. It was definitely different. Some of it I even found very good. I've certainly seen many films that I enjoyed much less. You just need to switch the brain off and just take it for what it is.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:15 pm utterly insane and incredibly violent
SOLD! :lol:

Mrs J watched Uncoupled over the weekend. Comedy drama of sorts starring the Doogie Howser/Met your Mother guy about a gay guy who is recently split form a long term relationship. From what I saw and heard of it while popping my head up from the laptop it had some funny moments, a bit too much like SATC for me.
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

New series of The Outlaws is enjoyable.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:36 pm thought it was "good" not brilliant. good story. the bear CGI was dreadful. really dreadful

moved along with a decent pace, but I felt a little underwhelmed at the end to be honest.

would recommend it but not with gusto so to speak.
I think this is the only review I've come across which doesn't praise the film to the hilt. I am quite split about it. I feel it didn't really get going until the female protagonist got more involved in the action. It was great from that point onwards.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Wolf over on the What Did You Watch Last Night thread felt similar to me.

decent but not brilliant.

like I said, I didn't turn it off, but won't bother to watch it again. spent a couple of hours watching it, wouldn't "not" recommend it, but it left me a little underwhelmed as I mentioned.

not one of those films I'd gush about and tell everyone I knew that they just HAD to see it.

I can see where people would really love it, but overall I thought it would be better than it actually was.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:15 pm I think this is the only review I've come across which doesn't praise the film to the hilt. I am quite split about it. I feel it didn't really get going until the female protagonist got more involved in the action. It was great from that point onwards.
As on said on the other thread, I didn't hate it, in fact I thought it was quite good and enjoyed my 90 minutes, but in the end it was a pale (pretty much copy) of the original and not really worthy of the high praise it is getting. Decent but I won't be watching it again in a hurry(seen the original a well over 10 times across the years)
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 228 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

I think part of it is that the bar for Predator movies is so low these days, that something that’s even half decent gets high praise.