Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2405 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by Morocco Mole »

Estuary wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:29 pm Terrific satire on the modern condition.
Yeah the reviews were quite poor but I thought it was pretty well done if not a little heavy handed in places.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1784 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Binged the whole of S3 After Life. Absolutely loved it, great series.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:36 pm Stay Close , Netflix’s latest adaptation of a Harlan Coben story.

Mrs CRS and I sat down last night about 5.30 and put episode 1 on to see if it was any good. It turned out to be very good and we let it run onto episode 2 which drew us in further. To cut a long story short, by the end of the night we’d chewed our way through all 8 episodes. Highly addictive viewing with twists and turns along the way as you’d expect from a Coben story. James Nesbitt, Richard Armitage, Sarah Parrish, Cush Jumbo and Eddie Izzard make up the main characters with Izzard particularly effective.
Well worth watching.
Harlan Coben eh? It's not by any chance about someone that disappears is it? Ever program I've watched that's from a Harlan Coben book seems to have that theme.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:22 pm

Looking forward to this. :newthumb:
S-H

Post by S-H »

Currently watching One of Us a BBC drama from 2016, now on Netflix

Very good crime drama.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:52 am Harlan Coben eh? It's not by any chance about someone that disappears is it? Ever program I've watched that's from a Harlan Coben book seems to have that theme.
Yeah, just the 16🤣. It also had plot holes you could handbrake turn a double decker through but was, ultimately, a decent watch in the end. It was a bit "ITV" and the acting was well above the script but overall I'd give it 7/10.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:05 am Binged the whole of S3 After Life. Absolutely loved it, great series.
Loved the first 2 series, only 2 episodes in but this series isnot quite working for me yet. I know the whole concept is about a depressed man, but it's, well, too depressed and not enough smiles yet as it was in the first 2 series, although "don't over water it" regarding the cactus was :lol:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Yep, I've done two episodes and it felt tired. Run out of ideas, emotional stuff feels circular and repetitive and isn't hitting for me at all, jokes are sparce, non-sequitur 90% of the time and can certainly be accused of punching down even more than is usual for Gervais.

Not sure I'll bother with the rest. I didn't find S2 all that funny but thought it dealt reasonably well with the emotional side of things, despite being nowhere near as deep and profound as it thought it was. Also fully expecting the horrendously unfunny, jarring, Paul Kaye psychologist character to return shortly and assault the screen with his completely out of place presence.

Run it's course. Netflix must have thrown a proper bag at him to do the 3rd series because he's usually pretty good at checking out when the well of ideas for his shows have dried up.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Going to give it one more episode, but agree with pretty much all you say FJ. I also expect the ****ing dog to die in this series, I don't need that in my life if I'm not getting more laughs as I did in the first 2 series...
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Tony is just an insufferable prick at this point as well ain't he. Not many of the people in his life would be prepared to tolerate the unrelenting misanthropy he's regressed back into during these first two episodes. I'm fairly confident it's an unsubtle setup to another lightbulb awakening where he renounces past misery and becomes a kinder, better person. Which will sort of prove just how out of ideas it is, given that the first two seasons pretty much trod that exact path.

Maybe I should just watch it :chin:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Probably an age thing, but I dont like the way he seems to be trying to normalise the 'C' word.

No way it's contextual or adds to the story.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 934 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I was looking forwards to watching Afterlife but you miserable buggers are putting me off :crylol:
S-H

Post by S-H »

Metal Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:31 pm I was looking forwards to watching Afterlife but you miserable buggers are putting me off :crylol:
Give it a go mate, you might like it.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Metal Hammer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:31 pm I was looking forwards to watching Afterlife but you miserable buggers are putting me off :crylol:
Still watch it MH.

I agree its probably been the weakest of all three series, but its still good.

Finished it last night and the last episode was easily the pick of the bunch. Not a dry eye in the house.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2405 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Also he's really ****ing good at random sports all of a sudden....

*rolls eyes while simultaneously cringing
'stone hammer
Has liked: 781 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Just finished series 3 of After Life. Didn't really get going until episode 3 and some of the jokes felt a bit tired, but overall a decent series with a few good laughs. I think they're best off leaving it there.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Watched episodes 3 & 4 of After Life last night, wasn't sure I was going to after the first 2, but glad I did as a welcome return, thought they were very good and maybe not quite at the level of the first 2 series, was still a very enjoyable watch.
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

After Life S3 Netflix

Eps 1 & 2 feel a little like a pause for breath after the white light brilliance of S's 1 & 2. But S3 takes flight again in ep3 and soar's into the stratosphere along with the previous 2 in ep 4.
Gervais in creating one of the great TV series has made a huge rod for his own back, what's next?
I feel After Life will live long as one of the greatest pieces of TV ever written.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

The joke about the smelly pussy had me in stitches