Netflix and Amazon Video

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Re: Netflix and Amazon Video

Post by Jonah »

Started A Model Family as per Burnley.

Also watched the new Untold series story The Girlfriend who didn't exist

Pretty unbelievable story about an up-and-coming college AM Football kid that gets catfished and how it's dealt with - pretty badly from all parts - poor kid.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:09 pm Watched "Thirteen Lives" on Prime last night - Ron Howard's film about the Thai Cave rescue of the boy's football team.

Very Ron Howard - he strings out the tension and claustrophobia really well given the audience almost certainly know the outcome (a la Apollo 13).

Spoiler alert, after the rescue the poor kids ended up being dragged kicking and screaming to the UK to watch a Man U game at Old Trafford.

Really good stuff. Colin Farrell especially good.
I almost didn't recognise Farrell. Same happened when he was the Penguin. He could have simply gone down the dashing leading man route in his career but he's chosen more varied roles and movies and does a rather good job.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I watched a very formulaic action film called 'Security' with Antonio Benderas and Ben Kingsley.

After a day of climbing in Snowdonia and a 7 hour round trip in the car, a brainless action film that I could just zone out to was exactly what I needed.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Shabu wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:57 pm Started watching an Amazon show from 2014 called BOSCH about an LA detective. Just finished the first season & it's really good.

It lasted all the way up until 2021 so I'm hoping they have all 7 seasons.
Bloody hell, this show is really really good. On season 3 now & loving it.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Shabu wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:32 pm Bloody hell, this show is really really good. On season 3 now & loving it.
We binged the lot but haven't got around to Bosch Legacy yet because we kind of got burned out on it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:16 pm We binged the lot but haven't got around to Bosch Legacy yet because we kind of got burned out on it.
if it was you mate, that recommended it, cheers very much.....

understand 7 series with about what 8 episodes in each ?

but some of them led you into the next series so I had to go for it !!!!!

:crylol:

and as I have mentioned they confirmed Legacy S02 even before S01 was released so I imagine they're expecting good viewing numbers.

I did enjoy it a lot though.............

:newthumb:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Samaritan

Just. Terrible.
It's all over the place and not even in a so bad it's good kind of way.
Stallone phoned it in, the kid is terrible, the bad guys are half arsed, the twist is well telegraphed.
There's nothing good about this. Swerve
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Watched 'The Game' (D.Fincher) starring Michael Douglas. It's a very good film and I like it a lot - even if it is incredibly farfetched. Really crap birthday present though.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

Loving Adults

Danish thriller - looked promising, started okay.

Fell off a cliff. Avoid.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Why are so many Netflix/Amazon shows just plain bad? You can have all the effects in the world but it doesn’t help when you have garbage scripts and actors.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

I don’t think they have the experience of long standing channels to find and utilise the perfect writing and producing combinations.

I would go as far as to say it’s still something Sky struggle with on their own productions. - they can pull out the stops with the well known actors no problem, the shows themselves usually fall off a cliff by the end of the series.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:09 pm Watched "Thirteen Lives" on Prime last night - Ron Howard's film about the Thai Cave rescue of the boy's football team.

Very Ron Howard - he strings out the tension and claustrophobia really well given the audience almost certainly know the outcome (a la Apollo 13).

Spoiler alert, after the rescue the poor kids ended up being dragged kicking and screaming to the UK to watch a Man U game at Old Trafford.

Really good stuff. Colin Farrell especially good.
Was Elon Musk's grandstanding offer to rescue the kids portrayed at all?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

simonirons wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:49 pm I don’t think they have the experience of long standing channels to find and utilise the perfect writing and producing combinations.

I would go as far as to say it’s still something Sky struggle with on their own productions. - they can pull out the stops with the well known actors no problem, the shows themselves usually fall off a cliff by the end of the series.
It’s so weird though. They throw crazy money at “creators” and get very little to show for it. With Netflix their is an odd mixture of politics in the content they produce and it seems to have an adverse effect on their products.

The weird thing about getting Britbox is you can watch older productions and, for reasons I can’t even guess, the writing just seems to be sharper. There is a strange immaturity to many modern shows. You can watch something like Cracker and Boys From The Blackstuff and they are just as impressive now as they were then. Or the 80s ITV Robin Hood show.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Just been given a code for 3 months of Disney+. New customers only. Anyone interested?
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:47 am It’s so weird though. They throw crazy money at “creators” and get very little to show for it. With Netflix their is an odd mixture of politics in the content they produce and it seems to have an adverse effect on their products.

The weird thing about getting Britbox is you can watch older productions and, for reasons I can’t even guess, the writing just seems to be sharper. There is a strange immaturity to many modern shows. You can watch something like Cracker and Boys From The Blackstuff and they are just as impressive now as they were then. Or the 80s ITV Robin Hood show.
At heart its a quantitive issue. There are just not enough good screen writers to go round and the SVOD global brands have grand ambition for their "original" series. Why do you think Phoebe Waller Bridge and other stand out writers gets so much work? Amazon have given her £20m and asked her to come up with "something good, you know, like Fleabag, but not as offensive, or and we need a trans character, preferably something unique, you know, like inter species, a man that trans's into a dog, or a monkey or something, it can be symbolic, in fact its better if its symbolic as we don't want to upset either the trans or anti-trans movements. Yes like Diamond Dogs, that's what it should be like, Diamond Dogs, a bloke who is half dog, the story can be set in a post apocalyptic city, London preferably for the tax credits, and draw from Orwell's 1984... Has anyone got Bowies numbers??????".
As someone who writes TV there is also a lot of interference, the above, while asatire, is not to far from meetings I've been in. But great writers aren't delivered fully formed, even so Bleasdale was left on his own to write Blackstuff, David Chase didn't have HBO breathing down his neck while he laboured over the Sorprano's with his writing staff, and Aaron Sorkin, the greatest living screen writer, was unhindered by "network exec notes" during the writing of the West Wing. I am in no way comparing myself and my series co-writers to these guys, but as an example, I have given the network I produce for some series that have almost doubled their ratings, I know what I am about in certain genre's, the viewing public love our work, yet the network constantly interfere right across the piece, and in 99% of cases where we fundamentally disagree I am proved right when the audience rating and feedback comes in, but it counts for nothing as each new round of development is like groundhog day, same questions, same push back from us, same result. I know there is a bit of wanting to be associated with hits, and a little bit of star ****ing, our lead is the very top in his field, arguably the goat in his area so they want to be "around" that. But even so, the whole thing is 100% my creation, so its a bit annoying to go through the "network two step" every bloody series.

In terms of top Brit writing for binge TV, check out by Jez and Tom Butterworth, Britannia is well worth a go, its bold, edgy, well imagined, and has a great cast - Its utterly nuts in places, but it still works. It's made for Sky, so they must leave some people the f*** alone to get on during production..
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The Sparks documentary is excellent.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

alf git wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:36 pm Samaritan

Just. Terrible.
It's all over the place and not even in a so bad it's good kind of way.
Stallone phoned it in, the kid is terrible, the bad guys are half arsed, the twist is well telegraphed.
There's nothing good about this. Swerve

its worse than that tbh.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Echoes: And they were endless. Some of these Netflix series have good ideas, but they don't half stretch them out. Lot of repetition, as the title suggests.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Mre the platform than the content.

Took a 7 day on Paramount+. What a horrible platform it is - (for me and others via a search) The search does not work half the time- I wanted to watch Wrath of Khan - Search star trek - I get 4 returns, search Wrath and/or Khan nothing. I eventually got to it but by clicingk on First Contact (another Star Trek film) and clicking on 'similar titles'

Along with that there are no stats when watching (I hate this, they are not the only one but I want to be able to fill my screen with resolution, bitrate, dropped frames etc.) not possible and lastly most importantly there is no 4K, HDR or Dolby Atoms in the UK only shitty 1080p (at quite a low bitrate)

As for content Star Trek aside I am struggling to find anything of real quality on there (some of the Showtime stuff is ok but I've seen that as well as the Mission Impossible film - again ok) . Seems to be Teen-reality TV and kids programmes in the main.

Poor, beta service for £7 no thanks, I 'll just acquire the titles in 4K HDR 'borrowed' from the US version.
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Watched the new Grand Tour special last night - A skandi Flick. If you like Clarkson, May & Hammond then you will love it.