Star Trek all series appreciation thread

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Re: Star Trek all series appreciation thread

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just watched the first 3 episodes of Star Trek Prodigy and it's much better that I was expecting. The animation is excellent for a TV series, and so far the stories have been OK. It's definitely intended for kids, but it's nowhere near as cringey as I had feared it would be. Having said that, the characters are a typical bunch of cliches and are likely to get annoying pretty quick, so I'm not sure how well it will sustain, but it's not a bad start.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Getting a new pup next week....already have a girl called Uhura, now thinking of Trek boys names.

Leaning towards Riker....Barclay and Worf are a bit cringy, other options include Tuvok, Martok, Jean-Luc and Chekov...ideas?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:21 am Getting a new pup next week....already have a girl called Uhura, now thinking of Trek boys names.

Leaning towards Riker....Barclay and Worf are a bit cringy, other options include Tuvok, Martok, Jean-Luc and Chekov...ideas?
Groppler Zorn or Risa
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:21 am Getting a new pup next week....already have a girl called Uhura, now thinking of Trek boys names.

Sisko!
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery has been pulled from Netflix - as have all previous seasons - two days prior to its planned broadcast, because Paramount want to air it exclusively on their new streaming service Paramount+, which won't be available to UK viewers until "early 2022".

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a382 ... -season-4/
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

last.caress wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:35 pm Season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery has been pulled from Netflix - as have all previous seasons - two days prior to its planned broadcast, because Paramount want to air it exclusively on their new streaming service Paramount+, which won't be available to UK viewers until "early 2022".

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a382 ... -season-4/
HBO are planning to launch in Europe as well (2025 in UK when Sky deal ends) . They all want their £7.99 a month service, all they are doing is pushing people back towards Bays that have Pirates. At least for now you can purchase monthly and rotate round (until they try and contract us)

It won't work, we don't have different services for different record labels for a reason.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Great tactic, very sensible. In other, entirely unrelated news, Star Trek Burham s4e1 is out and about, 2 days before it was supposed to hit netflix.

There's going to have to be a consolidation of some of these streaming services - I can't believe that all of them have critical mass to make it worthwhile.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Watched George Takaei being interviewed on Hard Talk by Stephen Sakur last night.

What a wonderful, entertaining, intelligent man he is. A few ST stories, why he didn't come "out" during the ST series and his ongoing semi-spat with WS were all covered, as was his imprisonment as a very young boy in American "camps" for the Japanese during WW2.

A fascinating watch.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Star Trek: Picard Season 2 out on Paramount+ from Thursday, March 3
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (featuring Captain Pike from Discovery series 2) starts on Thursday, May 5.
Strange New Worlds is already renewed for a second season.
Both series with have weekly episodes on Thursday

Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 3 will be released some time this summer, date TBC. That's also been renewed for a 4th season (hoorah!)

While we're waiting, Star Trek: Prodigy is another Thursday drop, running until Feb 3 (it's intended for kids, but the animation is fantastic, if the stories are a bit simple and moralistic)

Once Prodigy is done, the so far pretty awful series 4 of Discovery returns in early Feb, followed apparently by another 10 episodes of Prodigy.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just seen in another story that Discovery is renewed for series 5 as well.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

For me at least, Discovery is the weakest Star Trek property of the lot in terms of its story, the hardest to like in terms of its characters and the cast who portrays them, and by far the least recognisable as a Star Trek product. And I've not yet seen an episode of season 4. I still like it, sort of, but watching it feels increasingly like a bit of a chore. Every other show, from TOS to Lower Decks, I'm happy to stick on as a bit of comfort telly. Even the animated show from the 70s or the dodgy movies from the 80s. Discovery though... hard work.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Disco series 1 was hit & miss, for me; s2 was really good; s3 was a chore until the last couple of episodes; s4 has been dreadful up to the last episode which was a bit less Hallmark Emotion Channel and little bit more classic ST.

I'm a lot less enthused about TNG than a lot of fans - an awful lot of that was dull as dishwater. Voyager was often awful, but did have 7of9 in a skin-tight suit, and sometimes had some interesting new antogonists and the year of disasters storyline which was up there with some of the better ST episodes. Never got the point of DS9 - we'll boldly go to... um, the canteen, the storage room, the other side of the station?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am s4 has been dreadful up to the last episode which was a bit less Hallmark Emotion Channel and little bit more classic ST.
The whole 'its been a rough 18 months and it is ok to ask for help' and staring at the camera with tears in the eyes gets a bit boring. It is a very ham-fisted Covid analogy. I want to like Discovery, there is a nucleus of a good ST show in there but all the 'feelings' gets a bit much after a while.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

There was a post on Reddit that summed it up - every character journey has been "I'm insecure because of my fears, I've faced this trial, now I'm all better", and it's happened over and over and over and over again.

It doesn't help that most of the characters are either barely-2d background characters (the bridge crew), or are annoying overly-emoting centres of the story (Burnham, Book, Adira, Gray, Stamets, Dr Wossname). It also doesn't help that so much time has been spent on Adira and they just cannot act, beyond looking like a stunned ox.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

I didn't mind the Clem Fandango disguised as a Klingon stuff but the rest of Discovery has been awful.

I dropped it about 2 episodes into season 3.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am Disco series 1 was hit & miss, for me; s2 was really good; s3 was a chore until the last couple of episodes; s4 has been dreadful up to the last episode which was a bit less Hallmark Emotion Channel and little bit more classic ST.
S1 was hit/miss for me also (didn't like the Klingon war stuff as much as I'd hoped, enjoyed the mirror universe stuff more than I'd feared). Loved the introduction of Pike in S2 but found the rest of that season a drag. I wanted to like Spock but him being Burnham's brother is all a bit **** really, and he seemed to be going through some drawn-out origin arc about which I struggled to give a f***. And all that red angel stuff, and the Section 31/sphere data stuff... Zzzzzzzz. I did like the episode centered around Airiam, though. S3 felt like both a slight improvement in that the storyline was more focused and a slight downgrade because it felt like things took forever to happen.

And, three seasons in (for me), I'm still not all that keen on any of the principal crew members. All the ones I've liked - Lorca, Pike, Tyler, mirror Giorgiou - have departed. Rainn Wilson's take on Harry Mudd was excellent but relegated to a virtual one-off. I'm hot and cold on Burnham herself. The rest veer between "meh" and "f*** off" as far as I'm concerned.
Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am I'm a lot less enthused about TNG than a lot of fans - an awful lot of that was dull as dishwater.
Definitely the most dated imho. I mean obviously TOS is more dated but TOS has come through "dated" and "naff" and out the other side into "retro cool". TNG is still stuck at "naff" and, until they digitally fix Worf's hair, I suspect it always will be. There are indeed an awful lot of forgettable episodes in there, but there are a lot of franchise-defining classics in there too.
Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am Voyager was often awful, but did have 7of9 in a skin-tight suit, and sometimes had some interesting new antogonists and the year of disasters storyline which was up there with some of the better ST episodes.
VOY definitely picked up in a big way once Seven of Nine showed up although - and you won't believe that I truly think this, but - that's got nothing to do with her appearance for me. Imho, the fact that Geri Ryan is obviously gorgeous is actually the least interesting thing about Seven of Nine. I think she's a brilliant, complex character, played with a perfect blend of arrogance, uncertainty, fear, naiveté and curiosity by Ms. Ryan. Plus she's just a fantastic addition to that crew. I know it became "The Seven of Nine Show" to a large degree but so what? It was all the better for it.
Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am Never got the point of DS9 - we'll boldly go to... um, the canteen, the storage room, the other side of the station?
See, DS9 is, by some distance, my favourite Star Trek show. The prophets/emissary stuff never really tweaked my onions, and it would've been nice to have had some closure on Bajor actually joing the Federation of Planets (or not) but, by and large, I find it a fun, exciting show from top to bottom, with a cast of interesting characters with real depth, real shades of grey beyond just the usual binary good guy/bad guy tropes. Quark, Garak, Martok, Sisko, Kira, Odo, Rom, Nog, Dukat, Miles, Weyoun, Jadzia... loved them all. I even liked Julian (his tacked-on "augment" backstory notwithstanding). Hell, even Worf got himself a decent haircut and improved immeasurably as a result.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

New trailer out for Star Trek Picard season 2

last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds trailer:

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I always thought that bald bloke was good in StarTrek
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just watched the end of Disco s4 (no spoilers follow, in case you haven't seen it all yet).

After a really crappy first half of the series, I though the 2nd half got much better, as they got through most of the trauma, healing, personal feeling overload in the first, and they actually had some plot rather than a lot of emoting.

But the finale... holy crap, it's a saccharine overload as only yanks can do. All they needed was a cute freckled kid and his mongrel dog to hit the jackpot.