Star Trek all series appreciation thread

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Re: Star Trek all series appreciation thread

Post by Kludgehammer »

New trailer out for Strange New Worlds. Not sure how long this one will last, it's been pulled from the main Paramount feed for some reason

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Another "has anyone seen" post. I've just caught several episodes of this:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15766736/

Interesting look a Star Trek history, if you're, you know, a massive ST nerd - lots of stuff in there I didn't know, though it's all a big padded.

Decent way to while away the time while I was doing the ironing; living my Rock & Roll lifestyle to the full
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

First trailer out for Lower Decks s3

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

First episode of ST: Strange New Worlds is out now
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:25 pm First episode of ST: Strange New Worlds is out now
Note is won't 'really' be on in the UK until June 22 and then you'll have to subscribe to Paramount+ for £6.99 (just wanted I wanted another streaming platform)
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Watched the first episode of SNW, and really liked it. If you're more of a traditional ST fan, and you've been less than enamoured with ST: Burnham and all the Hallmark channel emoting, I think you'll appreciate this one a lot more - less space battles and histrionics (admittedly only on the evidence of 1 episode) and more exploring and solving problems.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

No idea when SNW is going to be properly available over here, but if you're a fan of old school Star Trek, I think you're going to love it when it appears - absolutely nothing like Picard and Disco.

I'm 4 episodes in, and each one has been better than the last - this one (ep 4) was proper top notch, really excellent.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Gave up with Disco and Picard half way through the last season so looking forward to SNW finally arriving to see if it's better than those two.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

First half of the last season of Disco was truly terrible - it did get a bit better after that but it still has huge problems
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

well I stumbled through episode 1.

underwhelmed.

halfway through e2 and went to bed.

not much to shout about for me at least.

I'll push on because at least these are stand alones so I don't have to get too involved in a "series." not expecting a lot though.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:26 pm No idea when SNW is going to be properly available over here, but if you're a fan of old school Star Trek, I think you're going to love it when it appears - absolutely nothing like Picard and Disco.

I'm 4 episodes in, and each one has been better than the last - this one (ep 4) was proper top notch, really excellent.
Completely agree, I'm hooked on Strange New Worlds and episode 4 really nailed it. Reminded me a lot of Wrath of Khan which is no bad thing.

For the first time in a long time I am looking forward to new episodes of Star Trek
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:26 pm No idea when SNW is going to be properly available over here, but if you're a fan of old school Star Trek, I think you're going to love it when it appears - absolutely nothing like Picard and Disco.

June 22nd on another Streaming Service :thdn: Paramount+ apparently some Sky customers (Cinema according to some articles) will get it free.

https://readysteadycut.com/2022/05/12/p ... to-the-uk/
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

episode 4 was the best so far, but it's not a very high bar.

not exactly a spoiler but it does explain a little about things you won't have seen yet...

what it is about the "aliens" - you don't see them ? the Borg et all waere all bloody good villians but we went a whole hour chasing some creatures that we never saw...\\
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Cooming from tomorrow, series 3 of The Orville. And yeah, I know it's not really Star Trek, but you know... it kind of is.

Massive trailer for the whole series

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:42 pm episode 4 was the best so far, but it's not a very high bar.

not exactly a spoiler but it does explain a little about things you won't have seen yet...
The antagonists are intended/expected to be the Big Bads of the series. And they have been seen before, albeit not for a very long time...
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:34 am Cooming from tomorrow, series 3 of The Orville. And yeah, I know it's not really Star Trek, but you know... it kind of is.
Love the Orville. Great to have it back.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:35 am The antagonists are intended/expected to be the Big Bads of the series. And they have been seen before, albeit not for a very long time...
was it in another Star Trek series ? can't remember seeing them in this series.
saw Picard and was hugely disappointed as they seemed to want to drag all of his old (and there may have been a valid point) friends from before into it. started off pretty well and went downhill.

haven't bothered with any of the other series so I might have missed the appearance you speak of.

I'll finish up this series but unless it goes up a few notches I won't bother with a second series..
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:53 pm was it in another Star Trek series ? can't remember seeing them in this series.
saw Picard and was hugely disappointed as they seemed to want to drag all of his old (and there may have been a valid point) friends from before into it. started off pretty well and went downhill.

haven't bothered with any of the other series so I might have missed the appearance you speak of.

I'll finish up this series but unless it goes up a few notches I won't bother with a second series..
It was in another series.... way, way back. That particular story has been referenced in both Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey and Galaxy Quest
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Finally caught PIC season 2 over the last three days. I thought it was a significant improvement on the first season (which I quite liked anyway tbh). Quite how many more of these Patrick Stewart can churn out has got to be up for some debate at this point but I'm in for as long as he is.

Can't imagine I'll catch SNW - or DIS season 4 for that matter - until Paramount+ kicks off over here. I'm excited for SNW. DIS 4, not so much.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:53 am I'm excited for SNW. DIS 4, not so much.
DiS4 is odd, first half is absolute dross. Second part (after the winter break -US) is an improvement. Less of the 'feels' that they seemed to focus on an more Star Trekkie and action.

SNW started off really well (imho) and like yourself I enjoyed Picard but JLP is looking the age he is now and it might be time for him to enjoy his retirement. With the Orville and Obi Wan, there is enough Spacy, nerdy stuff knocking around to keep me happy.