Star Trek all series appreciation thread

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Re: Star Trek all series appreciation thread

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

They filmed Picard series 3 back to back with series 2
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:34 pm They filmed Picard series 3 back to back with series 2
Good to know, it seems it is the final season as well.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard ... confirmed/
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

oh man that LAST episode of Star Trek SNW was absolutely pish.....

Star Trek Bingo ????????

and what was the Spock thing all about ?????????

it finished about 15 minutes ago and I'm STILL scratching my head wondering WTF it was all about....

not sure I'll bother. there's only been ONE episode (for me at least) worth watching and that wasn't really brilliant....
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Yeah, ep 5 was crap - had been pretty good up to that point
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

ep 6 of STSNW was a return to form - more classic old-school ST.

So far, 3 episodes into s3 of The Orville and it's been dreadful - I don't know whether the format has outstayed its welcome or just the writing and acting isn't up to par, but it's been dire.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

I'm really getting hacked off with this series of The Orville - bigger effects budget, but the writing and acting have just gone out of the window: McFarlane and the annoying new ensign character in particular
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

STSNW ep 8 was diabolocal - took inspiration from the very worst of TOS: "in a strange nebula the crew are trapped in a fairytale...", so all of the crew dress up like medieval courtiers. Fuuuuuuck off
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:10 am STSNW ep 8 was diabolocal - took inspiration from the very worst of TOS: "in a strange nebula the crew are trapped in a fairytale...", so all of the crew dress up like medieval courtiers. Fuuuuuuck off
gave up after E5.

shame really............
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

I thought the first 4, particularly ep 4, were really good; 5 was awful; 6 & 7 were decent again, then 8 was like a really bad episode from the original series.

Overall, more hits than misses, and certainly it's been the best live action ST for years - way way better than Picard or DiscoBurnham
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I kind of thought the first 4 weren't awful but they really didn't go anywhere..

just moved along but not actually DOING anything. no real action involving other races much and certainly no real story to speak of.

I really enjoyed STN when it first came out. cracking cast. then it all started going, I don't know, tough finding a way to describe it ,when Wesley first came along. I couldn't decide whether he was a "main character", and main character later on,or not but I really couldn't STAND his mum in any way shape or form at all.

the rest though, I really enjoyed. a lot of development of characters and involving them in stories throughout. bit of background as to who they were etc. there were some really really silly storylines though. I know it's sci-fi and we need to suspend belief somewhat, but it seemed like the production crowd felt the NEED to add some real levity. but they didn't NEED to.

the borg episodes were great. especially when they took over Picard.

Q was a bloody awful recurring character though imvho.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

If you'd only hung on until ep9, all your questions about the antagonists from ep4 would have been (somewhat) answered. They've been completely reimagined, and borrowed pretty liberally from Aliens, but the Gorn are a call-back (way, way back) to an iconic Original Series episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorn

"... see if you fashion some sort of redimentary lathe..."
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

I'm currently watching DS9 for the first time and I'm really enjoying it, on S5 E3

I admit there is a special place in my heart for Garrack, he is brilliant!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:23 am If you'd only hung on until ep9, all your questions about the antagonists from ep4 would have been (somewhat) answered. They've been completely reimagined, and borrowed pretty liberally from Aliens, but the Gorn are a call-back (way, way back) to an iconic Original Series episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorn

"... see if you fashion some sort of redimentary lathe..."
I'm not a "have to hang on to see where this goes and if it gets better" kind of guy these days.

I have loads of stuff to watch (not quite as many no doubt as Elsie :crylol: ) but at 74 next birthday, there's a limit as to how long I want to stay with it.

dumped OWK too.

at my age I try to be more "selective"

:crylol:

when the grim reaper comes along, I'm not sure he's going to want to hear me say "hold on mate, I haven't seen E09 of S16 of "xyz" yet so can you wait a bit ?"

:crylol:
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Gormalysis wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:09 pm I'm currently watching DS9 for the first time and I'm really enjoying it, on S5 E3

I admit there is a special place in my heart for Garrack, he is brilliant!
Over the years DS9 has worked its way to the top of my Star Trek series rankings.

Garak is just brilliant, as are most of the cast and recurring characters. My personal favourite is Martok. Sisko also went from a bit of a wet lettuce to a great commander by the ending. Love the whole grey area the series firmly sits in.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

ST:SNW ep 10 was another good 'un, weaving in and out of a classic ST:TOS episode.

Amazingly, Orville finally had a good episode as well, through McFarlane still shows the full range of facial expressions from constipated ox right through to stunned ox.

And finally, some good news - Lower Decks returns on August 25th
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i simply just cannot get my head around most of the recent st series , never warmed to or liked them
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Trailer out for Lower Decks s3

In other news, Strange New Worlds s2 and Lower Decks s3 are going to have a crossover story
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Teaser for series 3 of ST: Picard

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1640 likes

Post by last.caress »

Just signed up to Paramount+ and, given I couldn't find anything else on there that I wanted to see, I'm going to try to clatter through season 4 of Discovery, season 1 of Strange New Worlds and season 1 of Prodigy before my free 7-day trial ends. Mmm, cheap!
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1640 likes

Post by last.caress »

Okay, I've eaten through Prodigy and Strange New Worlds. I wasn't expecting anything from Prodigy but, after a start during which I contemplated bailing on it, it improved and ended up better than I thought it would be. Can't pretend Im in love with it but it was okay. SNW was excellent, the first of this new cycle of live-action shows to feel as though it can sit comfortably with the rest of the Trek pantheon. Even the episode in which they all wound up dressed in medieval garb made me smile; not because it was a good episode - it was, by a distance, the worst - but because it perfectly honoured a Star Trek trope, albeit a crap one. :)

I'm two episodes into season 4 of Discovery and I feel like it could go either way at this point. It's a decent start for sure but... well, Disco is pretty much my least favourite incarnation of Star Trek; it has often felt like a slog to sit through and, with eleven episodes to go, that could easily still happen. And with Voq/Ash, mirror Georgiou and of course the SNW crew no longer part of the proceedings I still haven't really warmed to any of the remaining principal characters yet; not a good sign three-and-a-bit seasons in.

EDIT 26/08/22: Finished Discovery season 4 now, too. More focused and engaging than previous seasons, but still too much stoppage for people to monologue incessantly about "love" and "understanding" and "finding themselves", and I still don't really give a shitty bumsniff for any of them. still, a definite improvement nonetheless.