Star Trek all series appreciation thread

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Star Trek all series appreciation thread

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Am loving the second series of Discovery and made me think of how I have grown up through the different series and films.

I was just a kid when the Original Series was on our TV's. I liked it, I wanted to be Kirk and I liked the stories.

The films were a bit hit and miss for me with only Wrath of Khan as the standout followed by First Contact.

I enjoyed TNG, but got a bit bored with the portrayal of Rikker as a light version of Kirk. Q was a great character to bring in and added a bit of well needed humour.

DS9 was my favourite series. Quark and the relationship between him and Odo was well played. The religious aspect was a bit wearing.

Voyager was one that I couldn't get on with. It was trying to be a bit of all the other series and it just didn't work apart from the excellent 7 of 9.

The new Trek films have been very good and am looking forward to the new promised shows
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Re: Star Trek all series appreciation thread

Post by Kludgehammer »

Romford, is that you under a new name?

I'm enjoying Discovery a lot, probably my favourite since the original series.Liked Voyager, for all its flaws, couldn't get interested in DS9 or Enterprise, found TNG like watching paint dry
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

TNG > TOS > DS9

Never watched the others, and only half dipped into DS9. Looking forward to the new Picard series - Jonathan Frakes is set to direct some episodes.

As for the new movies, the first ones with Eric Banana as the angry Romulan and Cumberposh as Khan were very good. The last one was very not good.

Hoping to God that Tarantino gets a crack in the chair.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Voyager was one that I couldn't get on with. It was trying to be a bit of all the other series and it just didn't work apart from the excellent 7 of 9.
a LOT of borg was the only thing to keep it interesting. and species 8472.
the whole series is completely sent to **** by spore drive anyway.

i've heard and read too many bad things about discovery to bother.

i prefer the original series because of the campiness, spock vs bones and an alien-shagging captain who thinks he's on a camping trip.

next generation has the best star trek captain ever (and the best shrink too), but the prime directive gets in the way too many ****ing times, and took place in the holodeck half of the time. sex with a ghost though! almost as good as howard the duck's bed scene.

deep space 9 is ok, a bit hit and miss, i got later into it as a stationary base doesn't scream star trek to me. some good characters, some boring ones, too many kardashians. kira can f*** off. i liked the ferengi though, i like their rules of acquisition!

voyager is as boring as its characters, the interesting premise doesn't get well developed at all, saved by the huge amount of borgs in it.

haven't seen enterprise.

the original series films are mainly ok, old style, slow sci fi with some interesting themes.

next generation films are godawful

the new stuff is unbearable crap.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

I like the original series, the first half-dozen films (sort-of), and the newer, re-booted movies. The Kirk/Spock/McCoy stuff, basically. And I only took a liking to that lot maybe three years or so ago now. It wouldn't be right to say that I dislike TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise or Discovery; I just haven't given any of them a try. I've never felt the urge to try TNG even though it appears to be widely considered the best of the bunch by those who would know. I've kind-of fancied looking at DS9 but, as with TNG (and with Voyager I suppose, not that I'm particularly interested in that one), I get the sense I've probably missed the boat; those shows feel as though they'd be too dated now to inspire a first time viewing, but not dated enough yet to exude any retro charm either. I dunno. I think I'll have a look at Discovery at some point soon, though.

I think a Tarantino Star Trek, if it ever happened, would be absolutely brilliant.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I've seen everything TV wise up to Enterprise and lost the will to watch from there. I for one, loved DS9 especially late on in the series when it gets quasi religious and really off the wall and you can't guess what's coming next. I loved Voyager too and the way it did a STNG but in a very different way - they avoided the "beam the top level crew down to find out what is going on" cliche a lot. Sure Nelix was a pain in the ass at first but he gets better as it goes along.

I watched a couple of Enterprise and it just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the lead guy, but I didn't find him or his crew credible, if that's the right way to put it.

A quick question. I've watched all the films up to the one with Tom Hardy in, Was there another one? AM I missing one?

I've heard good things about discovery but don't have netflix so the jury is out on that one.

Oh and I have a confession to make. As much as I am a ST fan, I think Babylon 5 was better. There I've said it!
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Liked the Original series (most of it anyway) and there's usually something to enjoy in the Kirk films.

Next Generation was pretty good, Picard is brilliant and I always enjoyed Deanna Troi getting a bit fruity a few times every season.

Never really watched DS9, Voyager or Enterprise.

The new films started off good but the Cumberbatch as Khan one was ****ing atrocious. The 3rd one was just ok.

Discovery is not bad, season 2 has thrown a lot of the gore, swearing etc out the window which isn't a bad thing as it just doesn't work in Star Trek. Sadly the lead Michael Burnham is just a joyless charisma vacuum. The new Captain Pike is very good though.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I liked the original to the point that ,when they announced TNG, I'd made up my mind to hate it before I'd seen an episode.

I ended up watching it by default when my girlfriend of the time was taking an age to get ready and I was instantly hooked. In retrospect, I do think that Patrick Stewart pretty much carries the whole show ...... although Marina Sirtis' norkage is really quite magnificent too.

Haven't really seen any of the other spin-offs so I can't comment and I've found the films a bit hit and miss. The recent reboots were quite good and I enjoyed First Contact but the ones with the original cast were a bit pants.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

First Contact is the best of the movies, hands down. And you’re right, Stewart was the reason TNG was such a fantastic show - you could sense that he set the tone and the rest followed.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

I'm not really convinced by Discovery, I've watched about 10 episodes but I can't really take to the characters or plots much. The concept of a story set at the start of the war with the Klingons was interesting, but it's badly executed. Spore drive? Nah.

In terms of series I loved TNG and DS9. Totally different concepts that both worked really well for me. DS9 took us away from the exploration side of The Federation and had a lot more focus on conflict and battles. The Dominion were probably only second to the Borg as an enemy.

I briefly tried Voyager but never really got into it. Maybe I'll give it another go one day.

I've enjoyed most, but not all of the films. Best are probably

Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home (yes very corny but I'm a sucker for time travel)
Generations
Insurrection
2009 Reboot
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Enjoy all the series but haven't watched Enterprise yet.

First season of Discovery was OK, but Michael Burnham is poorly portrayed and the whole spore drive thing doesn't really do it for me. Will start on the second season in due course.

Films are hit and miss...Wrath of Khan being the standout.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

I think the 2nd series of Discovery has, so far, been markedly better than the 1st
bristolhammerfc

Kludgehammer wrote:I think the 2nd series of Discovery has, so far, been markedly better than the 1st
i agree. The plots have been much tighter and more focused on the crew as a whole, rather than just Michael.

The stuff with Spock is very good.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Quite like Discovery - although Michelle Yeoh is as wooden as a fence post.

Series wise TOS > TNG > VOY > DS9 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ENT

Picard new series could be fun.

Films for me STII:TWOK is still my favourite, but do like Undiscovered Country and First Contact....may have to get my tribble out when I get home!
bristolhammerfc

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:Quite like Discovery - although Michelle Yeoh is as wooden as a fence post!
She is but it mixes it up. Section 31 is getting a spin off apparently
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Proper link back to the Original series this week.... :thup:

And it's got Melissa George in it which is always a bonus.
bristolhammerfc

smuts wrote:Proper link back to the Original series this week.... :thup:

And it's got Melissa George in it which is always a bonus.

Thought it was brilliant this week. As you said great to link it back to the original series and solidify the time frame.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Started watching Discovery from the very start this morning at half six, and did the entire first season in one go. Got the effervescent Mrs Hammer into it too...bonus!
bristolhammerfc

Discovery is really good this season. The references back to the original series are done well and don't feel bolted on to appease fans
bristolhammerfc

Bit of a muddled end of season, but very good overall and sets up the new season nicely.

Non spoiler review for the series.

Michael Burnham never gets over her Frodo Baggins complex and that was wearing at time.

The storytelling was great this season and felt less claustrophobic.

Captain Chris Pike was a revelation and much more charismatic than Burnham closely followed by Suru who goes from annoyance in the first season to integral in the second and someone you root for.

The crew are starting to develop as individual characters now with some great sub plots.

The side plot between Paul and Dr Hugh felt a little forced and box ticky.

Overall though some great visuals and felt more like The Original series with some nice nods to the Cannon.