The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

but we know (and I love Chicharito - as a footballer of course) he can't lead the line in a 1 up front.

so he would only come on as a 2 when chasing the game. with Haller yes. but we saw last season that he wasn't Pellers favourite as much as he waffled on about it.

remember end of last season that Arnie was going to be a big deal coming up. pop, he's gone.

then Pellers went on about how big of a part that Chicharito was going to play, he got the 9 shirt and now he's gone.

either Pellers doesn't know his personnel as well as he lets on, or is great at misdirection.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Thanks to the international breaks, w will only play 5 or at most 6 matches by the time Xande Silva should be fit, and with a bit of luck we get the Christmas present of Antonio returning. The timeframe is 3 to 5 months so hopefully he can be ready for Boxing Day which is right in the middle of that. Also we get extremely lucky that outer match with Liverpool scheduled for the 21st of December is postponed thanks to their involvement in the a World Club Championship. It means we get Two weeks off before playing 3 matches in 6 days whereas the rest of the league get 1week of before playing 4 matches in 11 days.... and we have one less game before we get to bring in January reinforcements.
I’d spend the Chicharito money on Danny Loader and Eberechi Eze... as I think between Coventry, Sanchez, Noble, Rice, Snodgrass and Wilshere we now have central midfield covered, and Arthur and Ogbonna ‘s return to form / improvement make defensive reinforcements less pressing.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

I’ve got to say, Eze looked brilliant when I saw him, but I disagree about where we need reinforcements. Full back and central midfield are pretty sparse. Two good young players would make a big difference in those areas. The jury’s out on central defence too, until we see Reid and Cardoso in action.
Is Eze an out-and-out striker, or more of a Lanzini/Anderson type?
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Going into this season we have:

3 goalkeepers
5 fullbacks and one reserve option
5 centrehalves and one reserve option
5 central midfielders
6 attacking midfielders
4 forwards

Depending on availability, form, tactics, we have enough players to be able to line up as Pellegrini would prefer. We don't have 25 players who are equally adept to play in every position, but we do have enough good players to keep our spot in the top half of the league. And we have more like for like players than at any time I can remember, since football in the top league has become a squad game.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

January windows are difficult times to buy but if we are lucky we should try and get in
CF - young, mobile type please
DM/CM - noble 32 and needs to be used sparingly. sanchez,snoddy are not good enough to start. Coventry is too young and inexperienced.
CB - depends how reid is doing but if he is still not back to fitness we need to buy another one.
Fullbacks - depends how fredericks and masuaka are doing. Also the progression of ben Johnson at rightback needs to be taken into account. LB - hopefully Arthur is doing well but we need to replace cresswell.

so a CF,CB, CM and LB. Not all of these will arrive and will wait until summer 2020 when sanchez zabaleta and Snodgrass`s contracts are up.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Honestly, the January window is such a weird thing. Mid-season, I don't think we should be adding any more than one member of the main squad, and would otherwise look to scoop up one, maybe two, youngsters who could come in that were in the Cardoso vein.

Would see how things are going at the time, but as with the summer - the most obvious place we could do with an upgrade on our options is in central midfield. Which, even then, depends on whether Pellegrini finds a spot for Fornals in the three and if he shines there.
Georgee Paris wrote:I think Yarmolenko could play up front.
Started his career as a striker (briefly), so could certainly 'do a job' there. Would put him as third choice behind Ajeti for the moment, though. I didn't notice Ajeti do anything particularly bad in the Newport game, personally, and some of his movement was spot on. Yes, he's a step down from Haller, but equally he cost a quarter of the price.

Would like to see him get some Premier League minutes under his belt, and that all important first goal.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

well ajeti will be on the bench now and I would think he will get a few 15 minutes here and there unless disaster strikes again !
I hope we play a settled team from now on
fabianski
fredericks diop ogbonna masuaka
noble rice lanzini
yarmolenko haller Anderson

subs Roberto Johnson Balbuena wilshere Snodgrass fornals ajeti
rudekid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by rudekid »

With the amount of AM options we only need one up front and contrary to the average fans pessimism our new striker is not the typical sicknote striker we have had historically. Hallers nickname was the bulldozer and the guy is only 25. This is his total appearances per season since he was 18. The guy is a machine....

Year… Total Apps
2019-20 ………3
2018-19 ……..41
2017-18 ……..36
2016-17 ……..39
2015-16 ……..42
2014-15 ……..28
2013-14 ……..28
2012-13 ……..18

This is not an injury prone Andy Carroll or want away aging striker like Arnie / Sakho. This is a kid in his prime that wants to lead the line for West Ham and his back up (although not quite as gifted) is exactly the same only younger / fitter (also averaging around 30 games per season).

Granted we only have 2 fit strikers but that's probably enough given their age / record and the fact one up front suits the way we play - We don't have the right skill set in midfield to play 4 across the middle and not be overrun.

Xande will be back soon and we should look to blood the youth and save the cash for Summer when it goes a lot further and players can be integrated over a season..... Recruitment under Hus and Pel has been great so far and I don't think January signings should be on their radar at all...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

hammermann11

let's see if you're paying attention or blindingly c & p'ing.

at least 4 times now people have told you, including me

SNODGRASS IS UNDER CONTRACT FOR ANOTHER YEAR ..

:asleep:
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Errr why the f*** do we have to use Noble sparingly?
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I think this thread has run its course now, and a lot of the things posted are being done in other threads.

I am locking for the boss to archive if he decides.