The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Haller looks a great buy, jury out on the rest for the time being - very early days still, of course.

The manager has nailed his colours to the mast - we will win by scoring more than the opposition, not by shutting up shop. The team is pretty much selecting itself at the moment.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Last season, two or three in, such as Anderson, Fabianski & Balbuena, who were instant upgrades, together with two or three, Snodgrass, Antonio, Ogbonna, given a chance to rekindle their best form, and taking it.

This season, the two or three look set as Haller, plus, hopefully, Fornals, after a time to acclimatise, and Ajeti as trusted challenge from the bench, not the practically useless Carroll.

Three he inherited, capable of careful re-development, are Lanzini, Masuaku & maybe Hernandez.

Once he gets the ticking started, I back Pellers to keep it at a decent standard.

10 efforts on target in any match is decent. Away moreso.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I still think we need a huge upgrade at centre back (especially if Pellegrini wants to play a left and right sided centre back), at left back and in central/ defensive midfield.
Next summer I’d like us to throw the majority of our transfer budget at Ben Chilwell. He would upgrade our left back position for the next 7+ years. At centre back we should look at Alessandro Bastoni at Inter, he won’t get much time there but last year as a 19 year old stood out in 24 appearances for Parma. While he isn’t left footed, Joe Rodon has played as left centre back for Swansea for the last two seasons and looks a big upgrade on our centre backs and counts as home grown. In central/defensive midfield we need to pay whatever Bristol City want for Han-Noah Massengo. The boy is 18 and is the best player in 5he championship so far this season... and it isn’t even close.
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

I still think we need a huge upgrade at centre back (especially if Pellegrini wants to play a left and right sided centre back), at left back and in central/ defensive midfield.
Next summer I’d like us to throw the majority of our transfer budget at Ben Chilwell. He would upgrade our left back position for the next 7+ years. At centre back we should look at Alessandro Bastoni at Inter, he won’t get much time there but last year as a 19 year old stood out in 24 appearances for Parma. While he isn’t left footed, Joe Rodon has played as left centre back for Swansea for the last two seasons and looks a big upgrade on our centre backs and counts as home grown. In central/defensive midfield we need to pay whatever Bristol City want for Han-Noah Massengo. The boy is 18 and is the best player in 5he championship so far this season... and it isn’t even close.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

When exactly does the European summer window close again?
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

For most countries, September 1st and 2nd
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Cheers. That ties in with why Hernandez wasn't about. Got a sneaking suspicion he'll be back in training on the 3rd Sept after his recent 'thigh strain'.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

I personally doubt it's got anything to do with the window. I'd guess we have talked to every club potentially interested in him long ago, and both parties now have accepted he'll see out his contract with us.
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

I think Hernandez will be off to the MLS at the end of the January window, either to replace Rooney at DC United or to join up with his countryman Carlos Vela at the heavily Mexican supported LAFC who in spite of bring top of the league by a. Country mike need a big name to compete against Zlatan. Fee of around £5m and he will keep getting paid £100k+ for another 2.5 to 3.5 years.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

He’ll be the big signing at Beckhams Miami club I reckon
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ozza wrote:He’ll be the big signing at Beckhams Miami club I reckon
their ground has just been condemned as being more toxic than first thought (and that has nothing to do with Beckham himself) - arsenic levels out of sight...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... egal-limit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the consultant’s report, the pollution underneath the grass on the golf course was caused by contaminated ash from a municipal incinerator shut down long ago. In some spots, the contamination is near the surface, as shallow as a half-foot (15cm) deep.

The worse-than-expected findings were reported on Monday to city commissioners.

“This is the largest contaminated park in the city’s portfolio,” said Commission Chairman Ken Russell. “This is a concern.”
hammer on

Post by hammer on »

Peaches wrote:I think Hernandez will be off to the MLS at the end of the January window, either to replace Rooney at DC United or to join up with his countryman Carlos Vela at the heavily Mexican supported LAFC who in spite of bring top of the league by a. Country mike need a big name to compete against Zlatan. Fee of around £5m and he will keep getting paid £100k+ for another 2.5 to 3.5 years.
Assuming we are out of at leat one of the cups by January, that would be fine.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Aceface wrote:If you incant the name John McGinn thrice in succession before dusk, Ironing Board appears like a Hugill-signing Scottish Candyman.
Bump!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Football Transfers
@transf_football
Gary Medel completes 2,00 Mill. € move to Bologna FC 1909, Italy
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Football Transfers
@transf_football
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

reading all the rumours going on in the euro leagues, i'm really thankful our window closes when the season starts now. it's one of the few things the PL has got right in recent years i think.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

It would have been ok, had the other leagues windows closed at the same time, as it is though, I think it's terrible, and I believe will go back to how it was previously.

I bet the European teams enjoyed a period of dealing without the overinflated Premier League prices, once our window had closed.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Football Transfers
@transf_football
By my reckoning, he's replacing Pulgar who some on here wanted us to go for.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

umweb wrote:reading all the rumours going on in the euro leagues, i'm really thankful our window closes when the season starts now. it's one of the few things the PL has got right in recent years i think.
Fully agree.

Levy and Pochettino whining about it is as good an endorsement as any that it's the right policy.

I'm surprised a few of the other leagues didn't use it as an excuse to move theirs too.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Aceface wrote:I'm surprised a few of the other leagues didn't use it as an excuse to move theirs too.
Why would they, Ace? As it stands they have an advantage over PL money so no need to give that up. It should encourage Levy and the others (yes you too Sulli) to get the business done early.