The summer transfer window 2019 thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bishbosh

Re: The summer transfer window 2019 thread

Post by bishbosh »

I think we’ve made some really smart signings with our big names and lesser priced signings. Haller could make a huge difference. Yet I can’t help thinking that we haven’t done enough...we’re so poor in the full-back positions and there is very little help for Rice. We are so easy to get at it and that’s not going to change...clever teams let us have the ball and then spring at the right time. Fabianski prevented 14 more goals than he was supposed to last season according to the OPTA xG...that’s even better than De Gea’s great season in 2017-18...to gamble on him being that good again with little protection is a huge risk.

Think it was probably always going to be a 3 season job to get the squad as Pellegrini wants it with full-back and a commanding midfielder seemingly being looked at next summer perhaps when Rice has to be replaced and significant funds from a sale might be available.

Lots of talk about the net spend on here and how people shouldn’t complain. However, I trust Pellegrini & Husillos know what they’re doing and they should have more available to them surely? A net spend of £25m ish? They brought good money in, there’s been a significant reduction in the wage bill and we have barely any costs in terms of running a stadium. At least one of the other problem positions should have been addressed. I don’t think we’re far away but I doubt we’ll every get close enough. I don’t doubt we won’t be the most entertaining team to watch this season for positive and negative reasons!
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

now what do we do for the next 4 and a half months?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

umweb wrote:now what do we do for the next 4 and a half months?
Talk about our January business?

I reckon that might be when we sell Hernandez. Beckham's Miami franchise start their MLS season in March and it'll be their first season. Given the massive Hispanic/Latino population, having a notable player from Central America will be a great business strategy for them to get bums on seats for a new franchise.

Not sure what sort of fee we might get for him, but it's probably one of few places he could go and get some half decent wages relative to what he's on now, and there's a clear attraction for the club. He'll have six months left on his contract at that point in time.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Other teams/journos opinions of us is that we haven’t strengthened enough defensively and I would agree with that. It’s a shame one good CDM and I think the club could have been top 7. So frustrating that the board didn’t agree.

Seems to strange to have Andre Gomes as first choice and then to go from him to Fornals
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

No, the managerr didn't agree, it was that important. He is clearly more than happy with how he's assembled the squad in the way that he wants.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

One holding MF is fine,if you have a solid back four - We do not, whichever formation you put out,unless 3CBs,imo. We,basically,look like setting up with seven players who are stronger in attack or full out attacking players and three outfield players that are predominantly defensive players!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Been thinking about the defence some more and it's not horrendous, as long as certain key players remain fit. If Fabianski, Diop, Balbuena and Reid stay for for the lion share of the season, then we will be alright defensively. Rice would also be key too in midfield to stay fit. It's when we suffer injuries in defence, is when we do struggle to maintain form and high level of performance as a team. We can take a hit injury wise in other areas of the pitch in attack and attacking Midfield and full backs as they're all much of a muchness, but at the heart of defence and goal down the middle is where we have to hope for luck for the season, as that'll be where we come unstuck again.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Marky wrote:Other teams/journos opinions of us is that we haven’t strengthened enough defensively and I would agree with that. It’s a shame one good CDM and I think the club could have been top 7. So frustrating that the board didn’t agree.
I have to agree. Fab saved us loads of time last season and we conceded so many silly goals.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Marky wrote:Other teams/journos opinions of us
Most of them talk a load of ***** though don't they!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

ashbanki wrote:One holding MF is fine,if you have a solid back four
See, I disagree - Liverpool don't have a solid back four, they have full backs who's primary function is to attack and are not actually all that defensively, and yet they were miserly at the back last season.

Now, there are mitigating circumstances in that neither Diop or Balbuena is a player in the class of Van Dijk. But they certainly only played with one holding midfielder last season.

The trick, and what Liverpool have done excellently, is defensive organisation between the DM and two CBs. When in attack, the DM should be dropping deep to become a third CB, allowing for a centreback to push wide and cover off a counter that comes down the wings (and when that happens you need a pacey FB on the opposite side to get back and fall into position).

So if we lose the ball up the pitch on the left, Masuaku should be in position to be the first line of defence. But behind him Rice should have fallen in between the CBs, becoming an auxiliary LCB and allowing Balbuena to push out further to the left to cut off a quick transition up the pitch. That leaves Rice and Diop as your centre back pairing and then, hopefully, on the right Fredericks has charged back to his defensive position.

That means you never lose your back four shape and can retain it against a quick counter.

Weird thing is, this was coached to me as a DM when I was at school, and the CBs and I worked on it in training pretty much every week for a month until we were communicating in short hand for it all. Obviously, completely different level, but either my PE teacher was a tactical savant or this is a basic tactical training.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

About this time last year I didn't pick Fabianski as the HOTY 2019

This year I am not picking Haller :thup:

***** if that doesn't bring on a season long injury I don't know what will do
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

How we spent is great. What we spent could be better. Whether squad space or homegrown quotas impacted this I don't know. Perhaps we struggled to shift those we deemed less desirable in the squad like Hernandez, Ogbonna, Reid which is understandable.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

umweb wrote:now what do we do for the next 4 and a half months?
The most important bit is what we do for the next 24 hours...

Drink it in people - this is the good stuff!

We've got exciting signings who haven't yet revealed themselves to be useless, injury-prone or disruptive influences!

We've got a squad that can be arranged into various compelling formations and, while the person next to you in the ground or the next poster on here might disagree, there's currently nothing to prove that your particular favourite formation isn't an asbolute world-beater!

We're unbeaten home and away, we haven't conceded a goal, not even made a single defensive error in anger yet, and we've got barely a player in the treatment room!

Even the blooming kits are nice and they're also available without a grubby old sponsor!

Tonight my friends I will dream of us tearing the champions to pieces tomorrow, smashing every other London club home and away throughout the season, winning a cup, qualifying for Europe, keeping all of our best players and adding even more more next summer. No one can stop me and no one can stop you from doing the same.

Look at those bubbles up there, maybe just maybe this will be this season they reach the sky...

Oh, for 24 hours at least, what sweet and unsullied joy it is to be a West Ham fan!

:scarfer:
WienIron

Post by WienIron »

Lots of positives from this window.

We've improved and shifted deadwood. Amount spent on wages considerably reduced, thanks to a strategy of picking up younger players who seem ready to push for the first team. Last year's great work also plays a role as it gives time for players, like Fornals, Cardoso and Ajeti to bed in.

As many on here, I would have liked that all-action, energetic central midfielder* to partner Rice. But I'm not too disappointed, and this time feels different, because:

1. It appears this is Pelle's decision. I'm actually starting to believe the board would trust him and Husillos with their money if he idenitifed someone he really wanted.

2. Pelle has a clear style of play in mind, which is ballsy and takes the game to the opposition. It's very 'West Ham Way' and I've been a fan long enough to deal with defensive fallibility and the occasional tonking

3. If the ballsy Rice-Wilshere-Fornals plan A fails, we can always make do with seasoned pros like Noble and Snodgrass. I also don't think Sanchez is half as bad as he's often made out to be.

Overall, I think the season will be an improvement on last and expect some exciting, high scoring games. The soft underbelly is still there, and I've a feeling we'll resemble a poor man's version of post-Vieira Arsenal.

Next year I see us getting a couple of full backs and a central mid in to complete the squad. Hopefully, by then the engineer will see a bit more energy is required for specific matches.

* not to be confused with a back-up for Rice or a 2nd DM
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Yorks ~ Liverpool's 3 in front of the defence usually consists of Fabinho and Wijnaldum plus Henderson or Milner on occassion!
WienIron

Post by WienIron »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote:
The most important bit is what we do for the next 24 hours...

Drink it in people - this is the good stuff!

Tonight my friends I will dream of us tearing the champions to pieces tomorrow, smashing every other London club home and away throughout the season, winning a cup, qualifying for Europe, keeping all of our best players and adding even more more next summer. No one can stop me and no one can stop you from doing the same.

Oh, for 24 hours at least, what sweet and unsullied joy it is to be a West Ham fan!

:scarfer:
Hear hear!! :scarfer:

Your posts never fail to entertain
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Marky wrote:Seems to strange to have Andre Gomes as first choice and then to go from him to Fornals
Yep, I found this very odd. Even more so when you consider the sale of Obiang. A significant change it what they decided the priority was.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2365 likes

Post by Ozza »

YorksHammer wrote:
Talk about our January business?

I reckon that might be when we sell Hernandez. Beckham's Miami franchise start their MLS season in March and it'll be their first season. Given the massive Hispanic/Latino population, having a notable player from Central America will be a great business strategy for them to get bums on seats for a new franchise.

Not sure what sort of fee we might get for him, but it's probably one of few places he could go and get some half decent wages relative to what he's on now, and there's a clear attraction for the club. He'll have six months left on his contract at that point in time.
Oi that’s my theory :wink:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Were we ever in for Gomes? We seemed to drop him and fo straight for Fornals and sign him super quickly.
Patito

Post by Patito »

thejackhammer wrote:Were we ever in for Gomes? We seemed to drop him and fo straight for Fornals and sign him super quickly.
"smokescreen" Image