Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:43 am Got a Brewdog 12 beers of Christmas box.

Had two last night.

Elvis juice - a grapefruit infused IPA (5.1%)

I liked this one went down well though did smell like a breakfast drink

Mallow Laser Quest - marshmallow and pineapple hazy IPA (6%)

Not a fan of this one at all, smelled like a kids pineapple lolly and didn’t taste much better.
I'd avoid Brewdog altogether mate, there's much better beer out there than the crap brewed by these shysters.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

No 2.

Chimay White XXX, Belgian Triple, 8.0%, 330ml

From the first sip you can tell this is a quality beer. It has lots of strength, a full body, a sweet malt taste, slightly spicy with a mild bitter finish.

Loved it - more please! 9/10

St Peter's Plum Porter 500ml

Not overly keen on this. The beer is solid with a decent body and uniform taste, with a hint of plum, BUT the after taste killed it for me. After every sip Iwas left with ths bitter sour plum and caramel taste that was really unpleasant. My first case of a beers aftertaste spoiling the whole drinking experience. 4/10
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I massively enjoyed the film Another Round a couple of weeks ago, so in its honour I thought I'd kick off Christmas with a couple of Sazeracs. Fmob. I'm much too old to feel this damn young. And wanka'd.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:35 pm No 2.

Chimay White XXX, Belgian Triple, 8.0%, 330ml

From the first sip you can tell this is a quality beer. It has lots of strength, a full body, a sweet malt taste, slightly spicy with a mild bitter finish.

Loved it - more please! 9/10

St Peter's Plum Porter 500ml

Not overly keen on this. The beer is solid with a decent body and uniform taste, with a hint of plum, BUT the after taste killed it for me. After every sip Iwas left with ths bitter sour plum and caramel taste that was really unpleasant. My first case of a beers aftertaste spoiling the whole drinking experience. 4/10
Anything Chimay do is absolute quality. One of the few genuine Trappist breweries and you just know they don't brew crap. As I type this I'm supping a Chimay Belgian Brown Ale and it's superb.

St Peter's are a great brewery, I didn't mind the Plum Porter but they do some outstanding beers. Dont' let that put you off them.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

although I can't get ANY of the beers posted on here, I love to read about them.

GCRO can you give me link to your website please, I can't find where I put it. (the link that is)

a bit like EUMB, I enjoy the reviews even if I haven't the remotest chance of getting into one of these beers. (I love their reviews but doubt I'll ever get to the Stadium)

thanks and Merry Christmas ......
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

The only wines I have tried that is capable of standing up to Christmas pudding are the liqueur muscats from Australia. Opened this one yesterday

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/dessert- ... lsrc=aw.ds
WHU Independent

Cheshire Gold Golden Ale - Coach House Brewing Company - 4.1%

A chrisp clean, easy drinking golden ale. Uncomplicated, yet satisfying and quaffable. A beer you'd drink when you want just a couple or wanted to take it easy. I coud drink this on a regular basis. 7.5/10

Kasteel Rouge 7% - Vanbon Sebrouck

I'm partial to a cherry beer and this hit the spot, Not overly sweet/sour - just the right balance of cherry to beer ratio. Went down very easy with a lovely cherry aftertaste. The perfect "finisher" to beer session. I'll have this again. 8.5/10
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I'm no expert on beer and normally go for whatever is cheapest in Tesco, but for Christmas I got a mixed pack of beers from my local craft brewer, Lost and Grounded.

First two drunk tonight:

Hop-Hand Fallacy, a Farmhouse Ale. Quite rustic, a bit fruity and tasted a bit of farmyard.

Keller Pils. Quite bitter for a lager and a bit more frothy than I'm used to.

Both very drinkable, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the pack.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I opened a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel tonight. Oh my. Very smooth, a bit of a kick and then a sweet after taste. Almost like banana bread.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Drank loads of red from the Douro Valley, all Christmas.

The best red wine bar none.
WHU Independent

Johnny Walker's "Double Black" label. One bottle of with my old man seeing in the new year.

Not a big JW fan but this was particularly nice.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Did a bulk order from Wild Beer before Christmas. A brewery I love. Bibble, Pogo, Fresh & Ron’s NZPA have been flowing throughout the festive season
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

If you like crunchie the honeycomb vocation stout in Sainsbury's is basically liquid alcoholic chocolate
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:35 pm St Peter's Plum Porter 500ml

Heh, this is actually one of my favourite beers but sadly it's difficult to find as of late. Maybe they stopped selling it in Russia altogether. Their Ruby Red Ale is right up my alley as well, could drink that every day and not get bored.

But I'm mostly a rum man these days... when I can afford it which is not very often to say the least.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Got a few bottles for Christmas - two 700ml bottles of Buffalo Trace bourbon and two Chivas Regal’s.

Normally go for Jim Beam white label or the Red Stag Cherry flavoured although I’m well aware that ones probably aimed more at kids.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Well played!

Which Chivas? I've only tried the 12 Yr old and thought it was nice.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Stauning Rye whiskey.

Without doubt, one of the best whiskies I’ve ever had!

Highly recommended.
Roby wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:37 pm Got a few bottles for Christmas - two 700ml bottles of Buffalo Trace bourbon and two Chivas Regal’s.

Normally go for Jim Beam white label or the Red Stag Cherry flavoured although I’m well aware that ones probably aimed more at kids.
Buffalo Trace is great, hope you like it!
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Making my way through a bottle of Dead Mans Fingers spiced rum and I have to say I don’t like the opaque bottle,I like to be able to see how much grog is left in the container.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:35 pm ]St Peter's Plum Porter 500ml[/b]

My local (http://www.lordshiparms.com/) has Titanic Plum stout on tap and it proving very popular, cost me many a lost Saturday afternoon asleep in the armchair
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

More rum news-we were given a bottle of Havana Club Selección de Maestros,best rum I’ve had so far.