Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by WHU Independent »

So I went to the 37th Pig's Ear Beer Festival this weekend and had a go at some totally new and unknown beers - to me. All were unfined and confirmed as vegan btw.

Scorpio Black: 5.4% By Wild Card Brewery

Lets start with my beer of the festival. A phenominal beer: a 5.4% black porter-like IPA which is easy to drink, with lovely fresh smokey tones, and despite being made hop heavy, a very low hoppiness taste which suits me fine. It has a peppery smooth aftertaste and does not leave you feeling any bloat. As the program says: A Black IPA hopped with Waimea on the hopside and finished with a dry hop of Cryo Mosaic and experimental US hop Cyro HBC 472 I kept on going back to this one and ended up finishing the night off with it. 5 stars - I'm going to see if I can get some delivered. It'as that good, I'd consider buying a small barrel. (Edit: You can buy it in tins on the wild card brewery website.)

Wiezen Brett: 6% By Left Bank

My runner up. It was a close thing and I only bought it because I though I read Wiesse Brot (white bread) and assumed it was a white beer! Wrong! It means wheat board and it is a dark "hopped with Mandarina Bavaria aged onbrettomyces for a fruiyt funk." In reality it was a very dark coloured but very light tasting wheat beer that is really drinkable and has this really enjoyable fruit flavour, which is very very slightly perceptible, esepcially in the aftertaste. I can't recognise the fruit/berry flavour but it was really lovely and not in the slightest overbearing. A top beer.

Kingslayer: 3.5% By Humber Doucy

A bitter! Who'd have thunk it - me drinking bitter - and with no regrets, A top tipple. It remidned me of a more sophisticated bitter that I used to drink years ago before WHU games. Described as "A traditional bitter brewed with Target and Jester hops. This beer has a piney flavor with hints of Blackcurrent" and whilst I would agree with the piney flavour, I didn't detect any furit element. What I found was a great tasting pint of honest to goodness quality bitter with a very thirst quenching, taste, a full body and zingy afternotes. I'd drink this over any standard larger if served in a pub, any day.

Joined at the Hop: 3.8% by Iron Pier A very enjoyable Golden Ale. "Brewed with Hukings Goldings. Honey and spice (from the hops not the bees!) dominates the aroma, whilst a blend of malts adds complexity." Bang on the money, loads of malt (as I like it) a taste that slighly changes from sip to sip and a slightly sweet spicy aftertaste. Another very decent beer.

Honerable mentions: Lockdown Lager (malty and drinkable) Moonshine Porter (quality porter) (Both Moonshine Brewery) and b*stard Covid by the suprisingly named TOMOS & Lifotord Brewery - which is based in Wales!!! Is TOMOS hiding something here??? :) Personally, I though he'd probably make some German kind of beer called King Tiger or something similar :)

Also there was a beer with Rum in it (for Monkey Bubbles) which was nice, but by this time my notes are unitelligable!

A fun day out and highly recomended for a visit next year.
Last edited by WHU Independent on Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Weekend in Edinburgh and have had a shitload of different beers. Best one by far:

https://harviestoun.com/product/bitter- ... olden-ale/

The Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted golden ale.

Now I had some Harviestoun Engine Oil stout last year off the back of one of GCRO's youtube reviews where he gave it a 10/10 and it quickly went in as the best beer I have ever tried. So full bodied it was ridiculous, full of flavour but a head like smooth velvet.

This golden ale in that Edinburgh pub, a superb taste, refreshing like golden ale should be, once again a head like velvet. Just so good it was ridiculous. I actually had the same drink but bottled a few days prior and it was good but obviously on tap the beer was just something else.

Harviestoun clearly know their ****. A+ brewer.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

r99c wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:27 pm Weekend in Edinburgh and have had a shitload of different beers. Best one by far:

Now I had some Harviestoun Engine Oil stout last year off the back of one of GCRO's youtube reviews where he gave it a 10/10 and it quickly went in as the best beer I have ever tried. So full bodied it was ridiculous, full of flavour but a head like smooth velvet.

This golden ale in that Edinburgh pub, a superb taste, refreshing like golden ale should be, once again a head like velvet. Just so good it was ridiculous. I actually had the same drink but bottled a few days prior and it was good but obviously on tap the beer was just something else.

I do remember their golden ale being very good indeed and of all the varieties of English beers, golden ale is the dodgiest. I'm convinced it was conceived to appeal to lager drinkers and just didn't quite make it as a legitimate style. It's so hit and miss that it's turned me off the style. The only ones in my opinion that you can't go wrong with are the Fuller's Honeydew, St. Peter's Golden Ale and a few others but the majority just don't cut it.

On a seperate note, I had some of the Long Man Brewery's Best Bitter yesterday in the Black Horse Inn in Thurnham. It was amazing. A real nice English bitter up there with the best of them. Very well kept and poured too. I don't normally eat in pubs but they had a beef and Kentish ale suet pudding on the menu so I stuffed myself with it. I ate so much it hurt. What a ****ing lard arse.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

AF beer alert: The Boleyn Tavern serves Lucky Saint pints from the tap :starst: I discovered it yesterday and it made my day
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Had a few of these last night. Very nice indeed, but I can still taste it nearly 24hrs later!

r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Very nice that Eggy, do like a Hobgoblin.

As for me, I've had 3 bottles of Timothy Taylors Landlord this afternoon and the 4th is getting opened soon.

My other purchase from Tesco this morning was Sierra Nevada pale ale - that stuff, which is the b*llocks, will be getting saved for another time as will be out all day tomorrow going up to Burnley from Essex and back :D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

really miss this from the States. ours here are not bad, but not a patch on this one for me at least.

bet GCRO would spit it out though !!!!

:crylol:

https://lagunitas.com/beer/maximus/
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

r99c wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:27 pm Weekend in Edinburgh and have had a shitload of different beers. Best one by far:

There used to be a poster on here called Bitter n Twisted. He was chuffed when I told him that there was a beer named after him.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:02 pm really miss this from the States. ours here are not bad, but not a patch on this one for me at least.

bet GCRO would spit it out though !!!!

https://lagunitas.com/beer/maximus/
Lagunitas actually do some reasonable beer but this stuff looks vile.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

don't judge a book by looking at the cover as me dear old dad used to say !!!!

been away for about 3 and a half years now, so it could be like our players who are a) no longer with the club or b) that don't play as often, all being better as the time goes by than they actually were when on the pitch...

:grin:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Has anyone managed to get hold of this years Fullers Vintage Ale? Only 2 Waitrose accessible to me not had it in stock
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

WHU Independent wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:20 pm So I went to the 37th Pig's Ear Beer Festival this weekend and had a go at some totally new and unknown beers - to me. All were unfined and confirmed as vegan btw.

Scorpio Black: 5.4% By Wild Card Brewery

Lets start with my beer of the festival. A phenominal beer: a 5.4% black porter-like IPA which is easy to drink, with lovely fresh smokey tones, and despite being made hop heavy, a very low hoppiness taste which suits me fine. It has a peppery smooth aftertaste and does not leave you feeling any bloat. As the program says: A Black IPA hopped with Waimea on the hopside and finished with a dry hop of Cryo Mosaic and experimental US hop Cyro HBC 472 I kept on going back to this one and ended up finishing the night off with it. 5 stars - I'm going to see if I can get some delivered. It'as that good, I'd consider buying a small barrel. (Edit: You can buy it in tins on the wild card brewery website.)

Wiezen Brett: 6% By Left Bank

My runner up. It was a close thing and I only bought it because I though I read Wiesse Brot (white bread) and assumed it was a white beer! Wrong! It means wheat board and it is a dark "hopped with Mandarina Bavaria aged onbrettomyces for a fruiyt funk." In reality it was a very dark coloured but very light tasting wheat beer that is really drinkable and has this really enjoyable fruit flavour, which is very very slightly perceptible, esepcially in the aftertaste. I can't recognise the fruit/berry flavour but it was really lovely and not in the slightest overbearing. A top beer.

Kingslayer: 3.5% By Humber Doucy

A bitter! Who'd have thunk it - me drinking bitter - and with no regrets, A top tipple. It remidned me of a more sophisticated bitter that I used to drink years ago before WHU games. Described as "A traditional bitter brewed with Target and Jester hops. This beer has a piney flavor with hints of Blackcurrent" and whilst I would agree with the piney flavour, I didn't detect any furit element. What I found was a great tasting pint of honest to goodness quality bitter with a very thirst quenching, taste, a full body and zingy afternotes. I'd drink this over any standard larger if served in a pub, any day.

Joined at the Hop: 3.8% by Iron Pier A very enjoyable Golden Ale. "Brewed with Hukings Goldings. Honey and spice (from the hops not the bees!) dominates the aroma, whilst a blend of malts adds complexity." Bang on the money, loads of malt (as I like it) a taste that slighly changes from sip to sip and a slightly sweet spicy aftertaste. Another very decent beer.

Honerable mentions: Lockdown Lager (malty and drinkable) Moonshine Porter (quality porter) (Both Moonshine Brewery) and b*stard Covid by the suprisingly named TOMOS & Lifotord Brewery - which is based in Wales!!! Is TOMOS hiding something here??? :) Personally, I though he'd probably make some German kind of beer called King Tiger or something similar :)

Also there was a beer with Rum in it (for Monkey Bubbles) which was nice, but by this time my notes are unitelligable!

A fun day out and highly recomended for a visit next year.
I went too but thought the beers were a bit flat. Conscious that they were being pulled on gravity, need some pumps to liven the beers up a bit
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Rio wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:41 am Has anyone managed to get hold of this years Fullers Vintage Ale? Only 2 Waitrose accessible to me not had it in stock
Not seen one unfortunately. I'd just stock up on some Tynt Meadow - it could easily pass as a Fuller's Vintage Ale if you can't find any.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Spending a few days in Broadstairs so am trying a couple of Northdown Brewery beers. Tidal Moon, a port infused stout at 5.9%, is a nice gentle way to start the evening. Easy on the palette. Got their pale ale up next on the oche!!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

pablo jaye wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:03 pm Spending a few days in Broadstairs so am trying a couple of Northdown Brewery beers. Tidal Moon, a port infused stout at 5.9%, is a nice gentle way to start the evening. Easy on the palette. Got their pale ale up next on the oche!!
I tried Tidal Moon a while and quite liked it. Very rich and full bodied. Not sure you'll find it in any of the pubs local to Margate, it's mostly Shepherd Neame down that way (as is a lot of Kent). Northdown tend to supply the craft beer and bottle shops in the area so the best bet would be to try The Bottle Shop in Margate. if they don't have it, they'll know where you can get it ...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... gland.html
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Yes, a v pleasant beer. I bought it in an Offie in Broadstairs. Apparently only on sale for 6 weeks in the year. Off to Margate tomorrow so I may hunt a few more bottles out.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

As It's Xmas I've bought some beers I'd never even usually look at to give them a go. First up:

Blanche de Bruxelles 4.5 percent

I totally concur with the review below. A light, easily drinkable but tasty beer, with slight undertones tones of orange and spices that sit right with the wheaty body.

For me - wheat over malt every time.

Very lively out of the bottle though, and had been stored well beforehand. 7.5/10

https://belgianbeers.co.uk/beer/light-b ... 20dominate.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

What is everyone drinking for Christmas? I've got Budvar and a frankly ridiculous amount of spirits
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:23 pm As It's Xmas I've bought some beers I'd never even usually look at to give them a go. First up:

Blanche de Bruxelles 4.5 percent

I totally concur with the review below. A light, easily drinkable but tasty beer, with slight undertones tones of orange and spices that sit right with the wheaty body.

For me - wheat over malt every time.

Very lively out of the bottle though, and had been stored well beforehand. 7.5/10

https://belgianbeers.co.uk/beer/light-b ... 20dominate.
Yeah this is a pretty decent one, I quite like it. Not the best Belgian wit but certainly half decent. Currently available in Morrison's.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Got a Brewdog 12 beers of Christmas box.

Had two last night.

Elvis juice - a grapefruit infused IPA (5.1%)

I liked this one went down well though did smell like a breakfast drink

Mallow Laser Quest - marshmallow and pineapple hazy IPA (6%)

Not a fan of this one at all, smelled like a kids pineapple lolly and didn’t taste much better.