Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Taylor 75
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by Taylor 75 »

Try San Marcos from Aldi. A lovely Spanish larger. And only £1.29 a bottle.
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by daytimedave »

couple of Lagers ive had recently .....

* BUDWEISER BUDVAR 5% ........ forgot how great this beer is
* PERONI - GRAN RISERVA 6.6%........ Excellent ... potent stuff
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:31 pm Just tried this Stella Unfiltered - - it really is *****! Won't be buying this piss poor beer ever again.
Different tastes :crossed: even GCRO was impressed!!! I thought it was very pleasant but wouldn't go out my way to buy it when I could just get Budvar from Tesco instead.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

GCRO

cheers mate, watching the England Italy game with the sound off on the telly and your beer channel on the laptop with the sound on !!!

:crylol:

cracking viewing here, I can thoroughly recommend watching and especially listening to you go off on a tangentel rant about the Russian Invasion, people who don't like the Royal Family and your thoughts on Prince Andrew !!!

oh yeah, and then your beer reviews in between !!!!!!!!!

brightened up this Saturday afternoon for me here, you can say you have a viewer in Ecuador, I bet you don't have a lot of those...

so far about 55 minutes in the game, safe to say your channel is FAR more entertaining than this game.

it's not a very high bar though mate !!!!

:crylol:

keep up the fantastic work.....
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

4x pint tins of Carlsberg Export £4.50 in Waitrose.
North Devon Hammer 2
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by North Devon Hammer 2 »

Tesco are selling boxes of 10 cans of Ukrainian lager at £6 a box ( down from £10). I can't vouch for its taste but at 4.8% it might help to get you through a few hot summer evenings.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

North Devon Hammer 2 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:00 pm Tesco are selling boxes of 10 cans of Ukrainian lager at £6 a box ( down from £10). I can't vouch for its taste but at 4.8% it might help to get you through a few hot summer evenings.
Bought a keg of this a few week ago for the perfect draught machine,nice lager good summer/garden drink
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes

Post by daytimedave »

Singha - original thai beer 630ml bottle 'imported' 5% , not great .
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Billydinho wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:33 am Just thought I’d chime in to say that Asahi is the best lager around.

Don’t @ me.
When I was in Montenegro a few years back they were trying to charge £7/£8 for a 275/330 ml bottle.

Bandits.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

daytimedave wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:25 pm Singha - original thai beer 630ml bottle 'imported' 5% , not great .
It's odd because the brewsheet looks OK. No rice in there which is unusual for a beer from the far east. I won't be rushing out to buy it though.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

When I first used to drink Singha about 15-20 years ago, it was a great drink. It was like happy potion.

Not sure whether they've changed the blend, or whether it's old age working on me, but it doesn't work the same way now. TBF, same applies to most beers now - they just don't taste the same or have the same effect.

Some beers are definitely brewed for different climates. Some great beers in hot countries that are awful when drunk in Blighty.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:56 pm Some beers are definitely brewed for different climates. Some great beers in hot countries that are awful when drunk in Blighty.
It's more likely they're brewed under license over here in the UK and the recipe and ingredients are different.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

remember when I was in the States early doors. saw some (cannot remember for the life of me what it was) pretty good English beer in one of the supermarkets. now this was WAAAAAY before the time when loads of imports were available.

at that time probably 9 or 10 dollars a 6 pack which was probably around 1980 ish and was fairly "expensive" at that time. American beer was probably about 3 dollars a six pack then.

so I bought it, was "hmm not quite what I remember" and then read the label. of course something which I should have done beforehand and to this day now, still make it a point.

brewed under licence in the U.S.

and charged around, at that time, import prices.

bastards. never again.

well, I do understand all that goes on with licences etc. and they probably had to pay quite a bit for it. I don't even thing they imported the hops. just used the name and brewed under licence. all local stuff, to wherever that local brewing process took place. make sure now if it says "English Beer" (or whatever country it's supposed to be from) it is actually that. of course that was in the States. here ? at least they've really started doing some nice micro brewery stuff which isn't half bad. imvho that it.

again I understand that they probably don't use "hops" but the local equivalent on it. I DO think however, there's a local Czech micro brewery just out of town, that, at least from the blurb when they first started brewing, imported hops from Cezchoslavakia. whether they still do or not, I don't have a clue. used to be able to get it in the local supermarkets, but you can't any more. they DO have a restaurant where I think you can get it to take with you, and/or you can get delievery (I think they continued it after Covid)

well apparently they DO import hops....

https://happygringo.com/blog/craft-beer-in-ecuador/

Making craft beer in Ecuador and Quito is a bit of a trick. Hops are imported by the container and equipment is manufactured by a handful of people who have the expertise to make the machinery.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Tried that Heineken Silver the other week.

Much to my surprise it was a very very decent beer. Fresh, crisp and refreshing.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

What is this witchcraft?

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:46 am What is this witchcraft?

This is everything that's wrong with craft beer, the term "pale ale" (it's nothing of the sort) and the **** ingredients and recipe that's gone into this abomination.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

I remember trying a Northern Monk Cheese and Onion Lager once, paired with Seabrooks Crisps. As vile as you can imagine, basically a drain pour. Why they go in for these gimmicky beers is a mystery to me, as their general range of IPAs are superb.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:55 pm This is everything that's wrong with craft beer, the term "pale ale" (it's nothing of the sort) and the **** ingredients and recipe that's gone into this abomination.
not that I'm a connosseur in any way shape or form, but the people that drink this type of stuff are to me anyway, the same kind of people that go into a coffee shop and order a almond milk, sugar free caramel macchiato, lactose free cream on top served at 184 degrees.

WTF !!!!!!!!!!

and there's usually 4 of them all wanting some kind of abomination of coffee.

and all I want is a latte. normal.

:swear:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:42 pm not that I'm a connosseur in any way shape or form, but the people that drink this type of stuff are to me anyway, the same kind of people that go into a coffee shop and order a almond milk, sugar free caramel macchiato, lactose free cream on top served at 184 degrees.

WTF !!!!!!!!!!

and there's usually 4 of them all wanting some kind of abomination of coffee.

and all I want is a latte. normal.

:swear:
A lot of craft beer has the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome as I call it. It tastes like **** but people convince themselves that it's good.