Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by S-H »

Red wine hits different, doesn't it.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

36 X 440 cl Lost Larger by Brewdog - for £22!

Thank you Asda.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Tried another can of Black Heart...nah. Not for me, tastes like someone's dipped some smokey bacon in it.
S-H

Post by S-H »

smuts wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:06 pm Tried another can of Black Heart...nah. Not for me, tastes like someone's dipped some smokey bacon in it.
Is that the Brewdog ****?

Tastes burnt.

Vile!
smuts

Post by smuts »

S-H wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:15 pm Is that the Brewdog ****?

Tastes burnt.

Vile!
Yeah that's it. Not a fan of Brewdog at all and this sums it up. I couldn't work out whether I was "getting notes" of burnt bacon or fag Ash.

Missus bought me a Guinness Nitrosurge and a few cans...much more like it.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

S-H wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:51 pm Red wine hits different, doesn't it.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Four pints of Amstel last night at a pub quiz and two pints of Lost lager at home afterwards.

Amstel is the best beer in the pub i go to to do a pub quiz. They only have one bitter and not SFV (safe For vegan). It's alright and it has to do. Lost larger is a very drinkable session beer and I forced myself to go to bed because if i sat up and watched a film or documentary. I would have drunk more. On the plus side i was in bed by midnight, which is very early for me!
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

smuts wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:30 am Yeah that's it. Not a fan of Brewdog at all and this sums it up. I couldn't work out whether I was "getting notes" of burnt bacon or fag Ash.

Missus bought me a Guinness Nitrosurge and a few cans...much more like it.
I'd recommend their Elvis Juice though. And their alcohol free stuff is pretty good.

I'm going to look at trying their Triple Hazy 9.5% IPA.
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

An 85 year old man was requested by his doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical exam.
The doctor gave the man a jar and said, "Take this jar home and bring back a semen sample tomorrow." The next day the 85-year-old man reappeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar, which was as clean and empty as on the previous day. The doctor asked, what happened and the man explained. "Well, doc, it's like this--first I tried with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but still nothing. Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, then with her left, still nothing. She tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with her teeth out, still nothing. We even called up Arleen, the lady next door and she tried too, first with both hands, then an armpit, and she even tried squeezin' it between her knees, but still nothing." The doctor was shocked! "You asked your neighbour?" The old man replied, "Yep, none of us could get the jar open.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Went to York for the long weekend.

First impressions are that it's a pub crawl paradise.

The bitter/ale up there just tastes ****ing way better than down here. Landlord and Theakston Best Bitter both super creamy heads and tasted amazing where I had them. They know what they're doing in the pubs there.

Also had to make a pilgrimage to the House of Trembling Madness as I've heard plenty in GCRO's videos. Picked up a Chimay 150 (10% blond) which went down well there, and brought back 2 bottles each of Hacker-Pschorr Kellerbier and Augustiner Lagerbier Hell
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Had a few cans of Helles - Fourpure from Aldi, nothing to write home about at all but so easy drinking, perfect for barbecues and casual drinking
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

I don't know what it is, but I've noticed of late that I've not really been enjoying lager.

I first noticed it a few weeks back when I got a crate of pint cans of San Miguel from Costco. Normally it's a decent, mid range lager that pours a nice pint. I was sat at home watching West Ham trying to enjoy a beer, but not enjoying it. I ended up pouring half of it away. I wondered if it was a dodgy pint, but I've not enjoyed any of the other cans Ive drank either.

Last week I had a couple of pints after work and went for the Madri - normally a favourite of mine - but again didn't enjoy any of the pints I had.

Is there something wrong with me? Have I unknowingly caught long covid? Has too much wine destroyed my lager taste buds? Am I turning into a woman?

Answers on a beer mat please.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

I am going through the exact same thing at the moment. Actually with most alcohol, not a bad thing i guess.

Used to really enjoy a pint, now i find I'm drinking it for the sake of it.
S-H

Post by S-H »

I'm preferring red wine.

Also Gluten Free Peroni - as apparently I have a gluten intolerance.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

sendô wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:31 pm I don't know what it is, but I've noticed of late that I've not really been enjoying lager.

I first noticed it a few weeks back when I got a crate of pint cans of San Miguel from Costco. Normally it's a decent, mid range lager that pours a nice pint. I was sat at home watching West Ham trying to enjoy a beer, but not enjoying it. I ended up pouring half of it away. I wondered if it was a dodgy pint, but I've not enjoyed any of the other cans Ive drank either.

Last week I had a couple of pints after work and went for the Madri - normally a favourite of mine - but again didn't enjoy any of the pints I had.

Is there something wrong with me? Have I unknowingly caught long covid? Has too much wine destroyed my lager taste buds? Am I turning into a woman?

Nothing wrong with bog standard lager but tried some more craft beer sort of different IPA's, stouts etc
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 826 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

sendô wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:31 pm Last week I had a couple of pints after work and went for the Madri - normally a favourite of mine - but again didn't enjoy any of the pints I had.

I’m with fmgod on this one. Try some of the craft beers. A Sierra Nevada pale ale or Vocation Life and Death are a decent interim step from lager to craft beer. Nowadays I drink less volume of better quality beer and love it.

There are literally thousands of beers to try. Follow oneminutebeerreview on TikTok for suggestions. He is nearly up to beer 2000 on his reviews.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Was away for a long weekend with 3 solid nights on the lash last week and nothing really took my fancy at the pumps in the holiday camp. Was pretty poor fare to be honest (Stella, Madri, Guinness were about the best on offer). There were a few real ales but they looked like they'd been sitting there untouched for about 2 years...

Typically the only time we drove out to eat was a restaurant which had Staropramen on draught which was bloody lovely but knew I was restricted to one pint only...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:03 pm I’m with fmgod on this one. Try some of the craft beers. A Sierra Nevada pale ale or Vocation Life and Death are a decent interim step from lager to craft beer. Nowadays I drink less volume of better quality beer and love it.

There are literally thousands of beers to try. Follow oneminutebeerreview on TikTok for suggestions. He is nearly up to beer 2000 on his reviews.
No that's not it mate. I'm well aware of all the different types of craft beer, IPAs etc.

That said, I do tend to have periods of preferring lagers and periods of preferring IPAs etc, so maybe I'm moving into a pale ale phase again.

If I end up in the pub tonight, maybe I'll go for a Neck Oil or something rather than just sticking with Guinness.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

it's called GCRO-itis !!!!!!!!!

:crylol:

we get a few pretty decent craft beers here. but beer brewing is relatively new and very heavily influenced by the American side I would imagine as most stuff here tends to be that way.

so you get ridiculously stupid combinations of beer "flavours."

the stuff I used to find at a pizza place close to where I used to live was pretty much very good on the IPA front. about 20 beers on tap, and bottles of all sorts. biggest variety in Cuenca I think he said.

a Welsh bloke I met here with a background in brewery stuff (not actually brewing) runs the place and got talking to him as I bartended for a good while in 'ouston, and the place I worked always had the brewery people clean the beer lines. most other places didn't and the difference in beer taste was amazing.

anyway we also have a smashing Belgian place here that micro brew but also import a large variety of Belgian ales from the well known brewers in Belgium.

great here too, it's a small "bistro" or Belgian equivalent and they actually do some decent grub.

I DO miss just being able to get a cracking beer "just around the corner" I could go on my own, but that ain't much fun. it's only a 1.50 taxi ride though !!!!!!!!!!!

:crylol:
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

This guy is pretty good, review craft beers but not in a pretentious way, speaks easily, doesn't give it all the sniffing and going oh hints of lemon from a summers day in Valencia etc Most he reviews you can get in the supermarkets too so it's not niche or similar

https://www.youtube.com/@ChrissBeerReviews/videos