Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by daytimedave »

enjoyed a few jars of Red Stripe on draught yesterday - first time ive ever encountered it on draught , very mourish . lovely
(the victory pub in brighton)
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

My local Morrisons has 20 x 440cl cans of Bredogs Lost Lager for £16.00.

Compared to 16 x 330Cl of Punk IPA for £16, I thought it was a bargain.

Had my first "Lost" this PM. Decent drinkable lager along the lines of Grolsh IMHO.

Ilike Punk better, but I can turn my hand to this. Very drinkable.
kenthammer
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 399 likes

Post by kenthammer »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:04 pm My local Morrisons has 20 x 440cl cans of Bredogs Lost Lager for £16.00.

Compared to 16 x 330Cl of Punk IPA for £16, I thought it was a bargain.

Had my first "Lost" this PM. Decent drinkable lager along the lines of Grolsh IMHO.

Ilike Punk better, but I can turn my hand to this. Very drinkable.
Been buying these from Morrisons last couple of weeks,nice lager and very drinkable decent price too
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:33 pm I love a good craft beer. If I’m feeling flush after pay day, I sometimes visit the tap room of the Deya brewery in Cheltenham and pick up a box of beers for the weekend.

Not cheap, but they are top quality beers.
One of the best in the country for me. Steady Rolling Man is superb, and that's pretty much their flagship beer.
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Does anyone know where you can buy bottles of Chang?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

A complete rip-off of Guinness, only it tastes nicer and is cheaper than the 'black stuff'.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Tried that Erdinger 0% “isotonic” stuff the other day. Not nice.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Funny how you get out of a habit for some time, then you remember how good it is. Years of confirmed wine-drinking (apart from some non-alco beer) but was re-awakened at a bbq yesterday. Speckled Hen is pretty high street I know, but I'd really forgotten how good English bitter tastes. Part of it was I didn't overdo it, just two pints (was too full of sausages & ribs). 5.70 for four in Co-Op. Bought 8 but left the rest with mine hosts.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

SoulCircus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:32 pm One of the best in the country for me. Steady Rolling Man is superb, and that's pretty much their flagship beer.
Yep. Steady Rolling Man is the one they ship all over the place and it is a nice pale ale. They also do a great range of IPAs and some amazing DIPAs.

New Bristol Brewery and Wiper and True are also excellent South West breweries. You even get free delivery from New Bristol Brewery if you have a Bristol postcode.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 708 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

vietnammer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:05 pm Years of confirmed wine-drinking
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

I noo you'd fuckin turn up :rofl:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

vietnammer wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:36 pm I noo you'd fuckin turn up :rofl:
As sure as Pinot Grigio exhibits white peach notes, slight citrus tings and a hint of pear..
WHU Independent

I was in a chinese supermarket last week and I saw all these beer bottle sized bottles in Chinese/Japanese lined up on the back shelf. I asked the woman behind the counter what they were and she shouted "Beer!"

I liked the look of one bottle so I asked her how much it was - £6.99 was the answer. Hell, in for a penny in for a pound,so I bought it, put it in the fridge when I got home and promptly forgot about it.

After going down the pub last Thursday, I got home and fancied another so I cracked upen the "Beer" I bought from the Chinese shop. I took a mouthful - Jesus, it was pokey and very very flat. I looked at the bottle. It's 16.9 % p proof! I read the little bit of English on the label and all i could make out was Japanese spirit.

Then the lightbulb in my brain came on. This isn't beer - it's Sake!

So in the microwave it went and I must say it went down a treat. I know, I know, it's rice wine, but it was immenently drinkable and on the upside, i didn't want to drink any more after that!
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 801 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Funnily enough I was on the Tsingtao yesterday afternoon. And the Asahi on Wednesday before the game. The latter gave me chronic nut ache on Thursday.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

Chinese Bai Jiao, avoid it like,well, Chinese Bai Jiao. Unless you want squirrels in your head.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 334 likes
Total likes: 708 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:37 pm And the Asahi on Wednesday before the game. The latter gave me chronic nut ache on Thursday.
That used to be contract brewed by Shepherd Neame, now it's brewed in Italy (in the Peroni Brewery in Padova, Italy), it's terrible stuff.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:33 am Image
A complete rip-off of Guinness, only it tastes nicer and is cheaper than the 'black stuff'.
Wasn't keen on it. Tasted a bit harsh and chemically.

They are proper longing it as well with the head on that advert that you get from a can...
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:27 am That used to be contract brewed by Shepherd Neame, now it's brewed in Italy (in the Peroni Brewery in Padova, Italy), it's terrible stuff.
Surprised they don't use a site here now like Fullers or Meantime. Not big enough I suppose.

Don't actually mind Asahi lager. Nice big bottles, pretty boring but inoffensive beer.
WHU Independent

I just bought 12 x 330 ml of Punk IPA for £11 and in order to get it in the fridge, I had to withdraw a bottle of Abbaye De Vauclair De Printemps that I bought from Lidel a week or so ago and had forgotten about. So I thought I'd give it a go whlist it was still cold.

I'll probably get mullered for this, but I like it. It's a darkish lager type beer, and it has that "flavour" that leffe etc has - but not as pronnounced. It lso lacks that sharp, nasty after taste some beers of this mature have. I found it emminently drinkable on a warm spring evening, but was very wary of having more. It's 6.8% ABV apparently.

At £2.99 for 75cl bottle and 6.8% proof, I thought its very decent value for money. I'm also drinking in it my nice new Wesmalle glass that I managed to snaffle for 50p!

Happy days!
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:47 pm I'll probably get mullered for this, but I like it. It's a darkish lager type beer, and it has that "flavour" that leffe etc has - but not as pronnounced. It lso lacks that sharp, nasty after taste some beers of this mature have. I found it emminently drinkable on a warm spring evening, but was very wary of having more. It's 6.8% ABV apparently.
Not sure where you’ve found a warm spring evening, but that beer sounds interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for it when I’m next in Lidl. :newthumb: