Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

WHU Independent wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:48 pm Another Belgium Beer story.

When I was a very young man - late teens - I went on a day trip to Belgium by boat with my mates. We were on the lash on the boat and drunk all kinds of stuff. We got to Belgium (can't remember where) and piled straight into the first backstreet bar we could find.

We plonked ourselves on bar stools and told the barman we wanted some of this Belgium Monk's beer, as we heard it's right strong. When he served it up in halfpint glasses and he said he didn't sell it in pints as it was very strong. Oh how we laughed in his face.

We spent a good few hours there knocking back all kinds of stuff, chatting and drinking. We paid up, left the bloke a decent tip and started moaning that this beer wasn't that strong at all.

I got up from the bar stool and promptly fell on the floor. My legs didn't work - and it wasn't pins and needles from the time spent at the bar either- they were just gone. My mates were really wobbly too! The owner sat us down, fed us black coffee for quite a while and eventually we were good to go.

We showed Belgium beer much respect afer that!
Commonly known as Belgian legs mate. Some of the Trappist stuff is amazing, but the quadrupels can go up to 12% and should be treated with respect. I can't imagine drinking a pint of that stuff ... as lovely as it is. It' served up in 330ml bottles for a reason. Even the dubbels and tripels range from 6.5% to 8.5%.
Made In Leyton 1974
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Made In Leyton 1974 »

The next time we play again at Norwich, you need to try The Belgian Monk. We've been there before the last couple of games (when fans can attend) and got stuck into
Bavik (half pints only). Great selection of beers!

https://www.thebelgianmonk.com/
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Made In Leyton 1974 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:26 pm The next time we play again at Norwich, you need to try The Belgian Monk. We've been there before the last couple of games (when fans can attend) and got stuck into
Bavik (half pints only). Great selection of beers!

https://www.thebelgianmonk.com/
There's some really good beers on that menu but the potential to get seriously ****ed up is huge. If you do drink here and need to take public transport, make sure you have a plan B to get home from the terminus of the train/bus.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:46 pm There's some really good beers on that menu but the potential to get seriously ****ed up is huge. If you do drink here and need to take public transport, make sure you have a plan B to get home from the terminus of the train/bus.
it'd take you a month to review that lot..and several hangovers maybe !!!!!!!!

:crylol:
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:44 pm I’ve tried the club Tropicana in a can, it’s decent.

Will try the others too, thanks 👍
+1 for Thornbridge Jaipur! Love that beer. Can usually find cans of it in Tesco and Sainsburys if you don't want to commit to a full keg without trying it. 5.9% - that extra 0.9% really makes a difference.
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Anyone ever go to Beer Merchants Tap before games? They usually have a couple of interesting Belgian things on. Brasserie Dupont and Brasserie de la Senne at the moment.

https://beermerchantstap.com/beer/
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

r99c wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:15 am Just had a trip onto Beers Of Europe to purchase 8 x 500ml Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Maerzens and 8 x 500ml of Ayinger's take on it. Roll on the delivery driver.
Arriving in a couple of hours :coolas: :muscle:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:25 am it'd take you a month to review that lot..and several hangovers maybe !!!!!!!!

... I've reviewed a fair few of them as it goes but yeah, it'd be tough on the old liver doing all that lot again! :crossed:
StevenageDave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by StevenageDave »

r99c wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 am Arriving in a couple of hours :coolas: :muscle:
I drove up there a couple of Christmases ago; King's Lynn doesn't feel very far away but it's further north than Birmingham. I browsed the place for ages and filled the boot with beers from around the World. I'd recommend Paulaner Salvator from Munich. It's a bottle conditioned bitter-coloured beer, 7.9% proof. I first had it in Germany and buy it here whenever I can :)
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

StevenageDave wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:01 amI'd recommend Paulaner Salvator from Munich. It's a bottle conditioned bitter-coloured beer, 7.9% proof. I first had it in Germany and buy it here whenever I can :)
That's a lovely dopplebock. Had it a few times and like it a lot. It's not the best dopplebock out there but it's a good 'un.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I managed to get 24 pint cans of San Miguel from Costoc the other week and cracked the first one open last night. It's so much better being able to have a full pint.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Went to Stroud Farmers market today and bought Stroud Brewery Big Cat (stout) and Tom Long.

If you get the chance they’re well worth it.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Joyeux Marteau wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:40 pm Coopers is immense.

I think Waitrose sell it, or at least they did.
Used to love that stuff when backpacking in oz. That and Little Creatures used to get knocked back with regularity.

Quite common to see Little Creatures in London now as well actually.
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Centre Half wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:25 pm Used to love that stuff when backpacking in oz. That and Little Creatures used to get knocked back with regularity.

Quite common to see Little Creatures in London now as well actually.
Little Creatures have a brewery and tap room in Kings Cross now. Keep meaning to pop in.

Not had that Coopers beer in years though. Remember quite liking it, but haven't seen it in over a decade.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:13 pm Not had that Coopers beer in years though. Remember quite liking it, but haven't seen it in over a decade.
I wouldn't bother. Last bottle I had was 'effin scheisse!
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:22 pm I wouldn't bother. Last bottle I had was 'effin scheisse!
When you’re in Oz and the choices are mainly VB,Tooheys, Carlton Cold and various other poor lagers a bottle of Coopers went down a treat, ya great gallah!
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:22 pm I wouldn't bother. Last bottle I had was 'effin scheisse!
Where did you pick it up from? I'm sure a few supermarkets used to have it...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I have been watching way too many Bands, Bikes and Booze Reviews.

my mate came over on Sunday to watch the American Football, he's an American, remember we're in Cuenca, Ecuador and although we do have some pretty decent micro brews available he brought over 6 bottles of Corona.

OH NO, CLEAR GLASS BOTTLES .....

I cringed but of course, refrained from comment. I kept thinking, GCRO would have a COW !!!!!!!!!

:crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

I’m off to Tenerife on Sunday, does anyone have any recommendations for anything local/ unusual I can use to quench my thirst after a day on the beach?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:34 pm Where did you pick it up from? I'm sure a few supermarkets used to have it...
I bought it online a while back. Utter dogshit mate.

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:10 pm OH NO, CLEAR GLASS BOTTLES .....

I cringed but of course, refrained from comment. I kept thinking, GCRO would have a COW !!!!!!!!!

Clear bottles + lager = disaster :cried: